HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:40 PM

#BringbackFoster

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 10:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyviews View Post
#BringbackFoster
I doubt that'll happen, as awesome as it would be. Best case scenario for us is that they redo some aspects of BIG's design to make it look less like a giant pile of horse sh*t and more like a respectable supertall building.

It's already okay from some angles but needs major work and would borderline ruin the skyline from others.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 2:36 AM

1270 ft of dogchow . .

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:58 PM

Let's get an anchor tenant who wants to throw out that ugly boxy mess and bring us either Foster's design or something entirely new.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I must say that until 2 WTC is built, it will continue to look like something is missing.

The complex won't feel complete until tower 2 is built because it is that missing piece connecting the group. It's getting closer now that tower 3 is "filling out". But this will be the piece that brings back that enormous presence of the Twin Towers, both from the ground and on the skyline. And it will come with company.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 6:20 PM

If I could handle dangling 1000ft in the air, I'd volunteer to clean that section of 1wtc's facade for free, but I can't.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 4:13 AM

The tower actually looks nice from the angle of that video screenshot, but it looks too monstrously boxy and huge from too many other angles.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:01 PM

I hate this building,

Such a shame because I loved the original.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 1:18 AM
Mr. Technology

Introducing.......
Official 2 WTC Film
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 1:27 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Here is what I would like to see for Two WTC:

A redesign that would have Tower Two look like a twin concept of One World Trade Center - incorporating the designs of both One World Trade and the initial Two World Trade design.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 4:20 AM

Good luck with that.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 5:03 AM

This building won't look like a bunch of individual blocks from TriBeCa, it'll just look a mess. To be honest, I don't understand how anybody could appreciate this horrible building

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Introducing.......
Official 2 WTC Film
Video Link
We've seen that 1 year and 3 months ago

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonny View Post
This building won't look like a bunch of individual blocks from TriBeCa, it'll just look a mess. To be honest, I don't understand how anybody could appreciate this horrible building
The Ingels 2WTC design looks good to me from the west and south. It's the the eastern and especially the northern profiles that are problematic! Given the loss of Fox as primary tenant, and Silverstein's apparent commitment to Ingels' design, maybe there is an opportunity, especially with all the criticism, to tone down the leaning "building block" effect that we all seem to be struggling with.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

15 Years After 9/11, Real Estate Magnate Brings WTC Back to Life

Quote:
[...]

Silverstein’s project isn’t complete, however: 3 World Trade Center is slated to finish construction in 2018, and the firm is also negotiating with tenants for 2 World Trade Center—the building is expected to complete construction by 2021.

“There’s an extraordinary array of possibilities” for 2 World Trade Center, according to Silverstein—he said the space, which is almost three million square feet, could be used by finance, media, communication, advertising or consultancy companies.

Silverstein said the end goal of the World Trade Center project was “bringing people together from all the boroughs,” and that 15 years after 9/11 his dream was finally coming to fruition.

“Had we not won the site, I’m not sure whether this would’ve happened,” he said, fighting back tears.
Video Link

==============================
http://observer.com/2016/09/15-years...-back-to-life/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just an observation from this quote and kinda sum up why I think 2 WTC (current design) is much more future proof:

Quote:
“There’s an extraordinary array of possibilities” for 2 World Trade Center, according to Silverstein—he said the space, which is almost three million square feet, could be used by finance, media, communication, advertising or consultancy companies.
I think ultimately Ingle's design is better not because of the beauty, but due to its functionality. While Foster's design was great, the new design adds more diversity to the tenant pool which will ultimately help it rise. It's not just geared solely to finance, but to other industries, increasing the probability of filling it up. Just my 2 cents.

In the midst of so much competition (dobro, HY, hell, even LIC), its good to have a tower design that can cater to numerous types of clients.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think ultimately Ingle's design is better not because of the beauty, but due to its functionality. While Foster's design was great, the new design adds more diversity to the tenant pool which will ultimately help it rise.
That's right. Silverstein got better feedback with the new design, and he understands the market of potential tenants, which is why this new design is getting the green light. If he thought for a second that Foster's design is what would get the tower built, he'd jump back to it, believe me. This is probably the last tower Silverstein is involved with at all (I don't believe he's running Silverstein Properties anymore). He wants to see the complex complete.

www.wired.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 11:06 AM

It has presence, and although it's not necessarily for the right reasons, it will be quite a sight to behold.

Out of curiosity, what makes this towers design a better fit for various industries? I'm not familiar enough with design to understand why this is better than say, Forster's design.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It has presence, and although it's not necessarily for the right reasons, it will be quite a sight to behold.

Out of curiosity, what makes this towers design a better fit for various industries? I'm not familiar enough with design to understand why this is better than say, Forster's design.
Not much is known about Foster's design, other than the fact that it had the diamond top that people seem to love so much. People working inside wouldn't care about that so much. So I'll go with what the people in the know are saying...

https://commercialobserver.com/2016/...perties-tower/

Quote:
The News Corp. and 21st Century Fox head told the developer that because of the shaky global economy, his companies were not going to relocate their headquarters from two locations along Avenue of the Americas in Midtown. (Messrs. Murdoch and Silverstein have publicly stated that for a real estate break up, this one was rather clean and amicable—as one might expect.) With financing dependent on a large occupant, this meant that all plans to move ahead would be put on hold until a replacement could be found.

Following the nail-biting three-day weekend, executives at Silverstein arrived to work with one question: What now?

“[We were] talking about, ‘Okay, where is our focus?’ ” Mr. Silverstein said last week at his office, which overlooks the potential site of 2 WTC, as well as the under-construction 3 WTC and the completed 4 WTC. “Who’s on the table next and what’s our strategy to go after each of [these prospective tenants]? That’s our business: to get it done as quickly as possible. Because time is money.”

Indeed, Silverstein finds itself back to square one in securing an anchor tenant to build the roughly 1,270-foot tower following the extremely public blowup.

.....Time becomes the other factor in who is the best fit for 2 WTC.

Tenants have a lot more options than they did a year or two ago; if a tenant’s lease is up four years from now, it could look at the 65-story 1 Vanderbilt in Midtown, as well as Hudson Yards, said Michael Cohen, the president of the New York tri-state region of Colliers International.

,,,,,“Larry has a pricing advantage over most other new construction,” Mr. Cohen said. “But he’s in Lower Manhattan and not every tenant is a [good] candidate in Lower Manhattan.”

The best candidate depends on the location from where most of a company’s workforce would be commuting, Mr. Cohen added. Downtown might be an option if most workers traveled from Jersey City and Brooklyn—but in the case of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom’s decision to anchor Brookfield Property Partners’ 1 Manhattan West at the corner of Ninth Avenue and West 33rd Street last year, Mr. Cohen said the fact that most of the executives lived in nearby Chelsea played a key role.

.....In the divorce from News Corp. and 21st Century Fox, Silverstein has walked away with custody of the Bjarke Ingels design for 2 WTC, which replaced an earlier draft by Norman Foster. The design, which was drafted during the negotiations at the request of the prospective tenant, features several terraces all the way up in the staircase-like structure. Prospective tenants have been receptive to the design, Mr. Silverstein said.

Ms. Tighe added that while Mr. Foster’s 2006 design was beautiful, the rendering by Mr. Ingels carries “the notion of how we work in 2030, as opposed to how we were working at the time.”

.....“[Mr. Foster] was designing without a specific use in mind,” Ms. Tighe said. “Now along come two great companies that are in the TAMI sector, with absolutely clear, specific requirements and a big vision as to the nature of the talent they want to attract and retain and support. They say, ‘We can’t use this design because that’s not how we work today, and for sure we won’t be working that way in the next decade.’”

Silverstein in a way has lucked out when it comes to the design of some of its floors. It was originally assumed that finance firms would fill the World Trade Center space once it was rebuilt; that all changed between 2008 and 2009 when the recession hit and firms like Goldman Sachs became less focused on new offices, according to Silverstein executives. TAMI companies emerged at the same time and took a liking to the designs of the trading floors and finance-inspired offices at 3 WTC and 4 WTC.

.....John “Janno” Lieber, the president of the World Trade Center division of Silverstein, said the terrace at the 15th story of 3 WTC has been an attractive feature of the building for creative tenants who want outdoor space.

“As we have all found out, that’s one of the things that tenants become excited about in this market,” Mr. Lieber said.
“All of the tenants will be able to reserve time for events on a space which is about 15 floors up in the air. It’s a great level both to be elevated—to see the water—but also to be close enough to the ground plain to be kind of in the neighborhood in a way.”

Foster's design was pretty much business as usual, as far as the workspace goes. There were really no designing tenant features we can look to. I do recall there was supposed to be some event space at the top if the tower.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 3:36 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not much is known about Foster's design, other than the fact that it had the diamond top that people seem to love so much. People working inside wouldn't care about that so much. So I'll go with what the people in the know are saying...

Foster's design was pretty much business as usual, as far as the workspace goes. There were really no designing tenant features we can look to. I do recall there was supposed to be some event space at the top if the tower.
Why not make it tenant friendly and look great from the outside? Tenant features and interior obviously matter, but how the building looks on the skyline does too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction