HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:02 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Well then, this will be a big change for my area. All in all, I don't mind these buildings, even if I expect the typical VE'ing during the process.
I agree, there should've been a subway here, especially given how central this area is in the city, but I don't expect a rebuild of the line, despite how necessary it might be in a few years with the massive population growth planned and U/C along this roadway. I'm hoping some of the yellowbelt is slowly dismantled in the area, although the resistance is already very high to some of these projects, and look forward to seeing more of Bayview intensified, even if it'll be a big adjustment to see this area become more 'urban'.
That being said, I (hopelessly) hope Bayview is further pedestrianized, despite its importance to the city as an artery road, and more work to address Eglinton before it enters the valley east of Mount Pleasant, but I doubt this will be addressed due to the way the city goes about street refurbishments.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 7:00 PM
I am the law!

The LRT was fine for early intensification plans around Eglinton Avenue in Toronto. Is there enough capacity to supports the hundreds of thousands of planned units along this road and everyone to the north? The Ontario Line will take some pressure off Eglinton in the east. A Sheppard Crosstown line should take priority over 905 extensions for the high density housing planned on Eglinton from Mississauga to Kingston Road in Scarborough

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:52 PM
Fake News

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 5:42 PM
I am the law!

It's a little bland however, the cladding can make up that difference. Too much hardscaping although I must give props to actual pavers. If there is a city out there that uses cast in place concrete in landscaping more than Toronto than It's Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 1:25 PM

1494 Dundas Street West | 29.35m | 8s | Block | RAW Design l demo soon (?)

Pretty good for a RAW design (which often disappoint) … keeping it simple. SPA filed last year and now a demo permit pending for this one at Dufferin and Dundas West.

UT

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:50 PM

Brentwood Block in Burnaby. 6 towers 43-65 floors.

Quote:
-Delivering 3,500 homes including 2,100 market rental and 450 below-market rental homes
-Pedestrian - only public realm with all vehicles directed to underground parking and loading from the site’s periphery
-3 public plazas (Dawson, Alpha and Upper Plaza) + Central Oasis
-175,000 sq. ft. of commercial space in Phase I
-Grocery anchor (36,000 sq. ft.)
-High profile anchor opportunity (30,000 sq. ft.)
-Standalone pavilion with rooftop opportunity (5,000 sq. ft.)
-Premium office opportunity (35,000 sq. ft.)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:52 PM

Deleted

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Apr 10, 2024 at 1:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Major announcement today from the Canada Lands Company who own a large chunk of territory around the Peel bassin in the Griffintown / Pointe-Saint-Charles sector in Montreal. The proposal includes 2800 new residential units, a 40-storey hotel, a REM station and a beach.
Far, far better than a part-time baseball stadium, imo.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 10:15 PM
I am the law!

It's not really a proposal. There's no developers to build it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:33 AM

What is it with Montreal calling every sidewalk along a river with imported sand a beach? Is replacing 2 parking spots with 2 trees now qualify as a park in La Belle Province?

These "beaches" are none of the sort. Is this a penis envy thing Montreal has going on with Toronto that actually has REAL beaches?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
What is it with Montreal calling every sidewalk along a river with imported sand a beach? Is replacing 2 parking spots with 2 trees now qualify as a park in La Belle Province?

These "beaches" are none of the sort. Is this a penis envy thing Montreal has going on with Toronto that actually has REAL beaches?
The bassin will be separated from the Lachine canal and the water will be clean for swiming. The beach, albeit not huge, is real. It’s a man-made urban beach in the center of the city. Why not ?

Can you swim in Lake Ontario ? (Real question) And why does every post has to be about Toronto ? It’s so tiring and demotivating. Sorry to disappoint but the inspiration for this project is not Toronto but Malmö.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Apr 10, 2024 at 12:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's not really a proposal. There's no developers to build it.
Sigh

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:18 PM
I am the law!

I'm a pragmatist and It's the truth.

In my experience, Lake Ontario is usually freezing in the city I won't name eastern beaches compared to lake temps in cottage country. Plenty still brave the cold. Swimming is prohibited in the harbour hence the sand boxes. The waters are warmer out by the Thousand Islands

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
The bassin will be separated from the Lachine canal and the water will be clean for swiming. The beach, albeit not huge, is real. It’s a man-made urban beach in the center of the city. Why not ?

Can you swim in Lake Ontario ? (Real question) And why does every post has to be about Toronto ? It’s so tiring and demotivating. Sorry to disappoint but the inspiration for this project is not Toronto but Malmö.
You'll find people swimming at Woodbine Beach in Toronto etc. but far more people seem to remain on the actual beach. Cobourg, a short drive away has great swimming on The Lake.

I have no problem calling this proposal a beach, however. And a really nice addition to the public realm. Perhaps ssiguy lacks context for where this is and what other existing amenities it will be connected to?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:23 PM
I am the law!

Edit

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

If it was proposed for London Ontario, the poster would have been completely ga-ga over it.

Hopefully it, or something like it, happens.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:59 PM

All Saints Church in Ottawa's Sandy Hill. A 9 storey addition containing 113 residential units.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=229216&page=2

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:01 PM
Fake News

Nice to see them preserve the church. Take note Toronto developers.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Nice to see them preserve the church. Take note Toronto developers.
This local developer, Windmill, have done quite a few of these partnerships with churches. They've already built two and have two more planned (including this one). They are also known for some of the most sustainable developments in Canada. They started the Zibi redevelopment, now a partnership between Dream (Distillery District in Toronto) and Theia Partners (subsidiary of Windmill).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada