HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 10:03 PM

"Utah Hockey Club"
Wrap it up folks. We did it.
I guess "Puck Hitters" was already trademarked.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 10:06 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
"Utah Hockey Club"
Wrap it up folks. We did it.
I guess "Puck Hitters" was already trademarked.
I could see a limited trademark for Utah Hockey Club while they decide the team's name. That might be what they go with for the first season before selecting. But I would be surprised if they chose that name permanently.

But to be honest, Utah Hockey Club is better than the Venom. Like what the fuck?

Last edited by Comrade; Apr 18, 2024 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 10:32 PM

6000 season ticket deposits in the first two hours. SLC will do just fine

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:10 PM

I think the Utah Cutthroat would be a great name with a cool nod to our state fish. Plus a trout-like color scheme could work really well. Can't wait to be enjoying NHL games downtown this very year!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Presto View Post
I think the Utah Cutthroat would be a great name with a cool nod to our state fish. Plus a trout-like color scheme could work really well. Can't wait to be enjoying NHL games downtown this very year!
Cutthroat for a hockey team will NEVER happen.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:49 PM
They all float down here

Yeah. Too tied to actual hockey accidents where the skates ... have cut the throats of players lol

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:57 PM

I definitely didn’t connect those dots at first! I got so excited about fish that I forgot about recent events. My bad, carry on.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:09 AM
They all float down here

It's okay. I'd still take it over the list that has been floating around.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
It's okay. I'd still take it over the list that has been floating around.
Yeah.. Blizzard? barf. Venom? lame. Fury? dumb

Also, up to 11,000 season ticket deposits...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:29 AM

I don't understand how Venom has anything to do with Utah. The Gila Monster maybe? Rattlesnakes? I have heard the Utah monsters suggested, in reference to the Gila monster.

I have heard a few names I kind of like but nothing that really jumps out. I don't like the Blizzard. it sounds too generic. I think the Golden Eagles is a no go due to the Golden Knights existing. Olympians is okay but the IOC will probably take issue with it.

I know allot of people hate it but I still like the Yetis name. True, Yetis don't live here but they are a mythical creature that doesn't actually live anywhere. Kraken doesn't live in Seattle but the name works because it evokes the sea which is a big part of Seattle's identity. Yetis evoke snow and the mountains and the rugged outdoors, which is Utah and also, part of Salt Lake City's identity. All of that said, it's not a perfect name and there is probably a better one out there.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Also, up to 11,000 season ticket deposits...
At this rate, it may be impossible to see a game the first season if you aren't a season ticket holder.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:47 AM

So, it's sounding like a full DC refurbishment over 2 offseason. Close to 1 billion dollars. Still not sure how they are going to do it. 17k for hockey and 19k for jazz when all said and done.

https://twitter.com/BensHoops/status...Fid%3D32926749

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:58 AM
They all float down here

That's a lot of money for a refurbishment. I mean, that's essentially the price tag for a new arena. That's basically what they paid to build the Fiserv Forum in 2024 dollars ($1.4 billion).

My thoughts on that:

It better be the type of renovation that brings the Delta Center up to premier status and not just a really expensive band-aid that does nothing to 'de-age' the arena, or in ten years, Ryan Smith is looking for another place to play and I guarantee it won't be downtown if Salt Lake is sinking that much money into the arena.

With that said, beyond moving the arena to Main Street, the Delta Center bock remains the best option, so, I would not hate it. But this has to be a once-in-a-generation renovation that essentially makes the arena new. Or it's going to be a massive waste of money for the city.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:03 AM

Quote:
That's a lot of money for a refurbishment. I mean, that's essentially the price tag for a new arena. That's basically what they paid to build the Fiserv Forum in 2024 dollars ($1.4 billion).

My thoughts on that:

It better be the type of renovation that brings the Delta Center up to premier status and not just a really expensive band-aid that does nothing to 'de-age' the arena, or in ten years, Ryan Smith is looking for another place to play and I guarantee it won't be downtown if Salt Lake is sinking that much money into the arena.

With that said, beyond moving the arena to Main Street, the Delta Center bock remains the best option, so, I would not hate it. But this has to be a once-in-a-generation renovation that essentially makes the arena new. Or it's going to be a massive waste of money for the city.
Yeah, I have major doubts. 3 offseason (and that would be even smaller if the jazz or NHL make the playoffs) for a full rebuild? No chance. Climate Pledge in Seattle took 3;full years

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:15 AM
They all float down here

I know New York did it with Madison Square Garden.

They essentially rebuilt the interior between two offseasons and it was about what Utah will be spending here (in 2024 dollars).

So, it went from this:

To this:

That's a pretty dramatic renovation and it didn't displace the Knicks or the Rangers.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:16 AM

Quote:

My thoughts on that:

How much of the $1Billion is he paying for?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 4:33 PM

I think it's a good thing that they are not rushing the name and branding. The one major thing that Ryan Smith hasn't done well with the Jazz is the terrible yellow/black rebrand. Utah Hockey Club is actually kind of cool for a year and that gives them time to figure out a good name/logo/colors and hopefully get it right.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 4:47 PM
Never Dell

Climate Pledge took 34 months because the left the roof in place (a logistical nightmare), and basically doubled the square footage of the facility by going deep underground. It was new construction but with extra time-consuming elements.

A 1995 renovation/expansion of the same facility took only two off-seasons because it was more of a renovation, though it also lowered the main floor substantially and reconfigured the bowl to be more vertical. Maybe that would be more relevant here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
I know New York did it with Madison Square Garden.

They essentially rebuilt the interior between two offseasons and it was about what Utah will be spending here (in 2024 dollars).

So, it went from this:

That's a pretty dramatic renovation and it didn't displace the Knicks or the Rangers.
DC would be more extensive, I believe. MSG already fit an NHL rink properly, DC doesn't. They talked about it down here in PHX when they renovated Foot Print Center a few years ago and here it meant something like 3-4x the cost and time. Has Smith done nothing to evaluate this over the last few years?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:17 PM

Up to 20,000 deposits for season tickets. I assume that will continue to rise after the press conference this afternoon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West