HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which city will reach 1 million first?
Winnipeg 89 76.72%
Québec 27 23.28%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Today, 3:20 AM

Yup manitoba is a horrible place, first place in Canada to allow women to vote, first major city to elect a gay mayor. Such hicks.

In all honesty it sucks how indigenous people are treated, but a disproportionate amount of down and out people are indigenous. And a disproportionate amount of crime in winnipeg is committed by indigenous people. People want someone to blame so they look down on the whole community as failures. People are dumb. The real failures are the fucking politicians who’ve neglected and abused indigenous communities for the past century.

The biggest failure being Ottawa, reserves are federal jurisdictions and the feds have full responsibility for the current situation facing indigenous communities in manitoba today. 65% of murder victims over the past five years have been indigenous women. The feds need to own that shit. Federal neglect of indigenous peoples has put all Manitobans at risk.

Indigenous people make up roughly 18% of Manitobas population. Vs Ontario’s less than 3% the problems in indigenous communities are much much much more visible here.

Old Posted Today, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I liked the look of Winnipeg but it and Thunder Bay are, by a country mile, the most blatantly racist places I've ever been. I hadn't been in Winnipeg more than 15 minutes and was faced with it head on. Our stay the city was brief, 18 hours, but saw how aboriginals were treated/viewed. While checking out of our hotel we experienced yet another disgustingly racist incident. I couldn't wait to leave.

Next time I drive through Manitoba I'm definitely not doing a stop in Winnipeg. I'll get some gas if I need to but that's it.
All the more reason to stop and support indigenous arts, culture and business. Have you seen the largest collection of inuit art in the world at the winnipeg art gallery?

Old Posted Today, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Wow, a new excuse for Winnipeg. It's Ottawa's fault for Winnipeg's crime.
Only it kind of actually is.. Lolz

Old Posted Today, 4:01 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Guys I understand it's hard to take criticism when it comes to things close to you like your hometown. But isaidso isn't trying to be mean. He was just sharing his experiences. If a place elects someone of a particular race or creed it doesn't mean that place doesn't have a problem with racism because depending on the number of candidates, a person can be elected with well under half the vote. And for a place to have even a sizable plurality like 10-20% that are racist is a huge amount that would shape the experience of those it was directed toward. It certainly doesn't need to be 50 or 75% or whatever. And there's zero reason for anyone to focus on Toronto or the UK in a thread about Winnipeg and QC.

For anyone who doesn't believe isaidso's experience was representative of the norm then it's ok to say that. You can say things like your experience has been different, that it doesn't apply to everyone and perhaps it's limited to certain areas without attacking someone for sharing their experiences. If you share your own views and counter-experiences you might even shape people's opinions and change their minds about not wanting to visit. But attacking the messenger will just make people assume that they're right and that you're trying to distract from uncomfortable truths.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada