HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Has anyone driven on the 407ETR between York-Durham Line and Brock Road since it was widened from 4 to 6 lanes? For some reason, with the paved decreased median (much like 412), I find it scary to drive that stretch because it’s more like a 6-lane undivided freeway at this point.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:15 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Went cross-country last week between Ottawa and Barrie. Highway 28 is now completely repaved between Bancroft and Hardwood Lake and is a silky smooth drive.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’m curious how you did it then. TCH -> 132 -> 41 -> 28 -> 118 -> 11?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:54 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’m curious how you did it then. TCH -> 132 -> 41 -> 28 -> 118 -> 11?
132 > 41 > 28 > 118 > 503/45 (Monck Rd) to Orillia, then 11

Great drive btw. Highly recommend.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh wow, I didn’t even know that road existed. Good to know.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 3:20 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5227526

Sad story, but this somewhat confirmed my concern.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.orilliamatters.com/local...-aug-6-1586295

Could this relieve traffic on Highway 11 between Barrie and Orillia?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
https://www.orilliamatters.com/local...-aug-6-1586295

Could this relieve traffic on Highway 11 between Barrie and Orillia?
services like this almost never generate enough ridership to make any measurable effect on traffic. Services such as this are great for young people though who might be going to school and not be able afford a vehicle. I could see Orillia getting into the world of GO bus service in the next few years. Same for Collingwood and Wasaga.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:21 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 3 Protest September 7

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:08 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 400 - 404 Link EA To Be Updated

https://www.bradfordtoday.ca/local-n...bypass-1642254

I just saw this at Urban Toronto.

Mulroney announced this just 2 hours ago. How long does it usually take to update an EA and get the project shovel ready?

Lol, at this rate, should I register myself an account with UrbanToronto??

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:05 PM

It would probably take a year or so to update the EA, and then another year or so in detail design. I don't know if the province already owns the property or not, but property acquisition can take some time as well.

While I would personally love to see the Bradford Bypass constructed, this announcement seems to have more to do with the provincial PCs campaigning for their federal counterparts than it does with actually getting shovels in the ground. There weren't really any firm commitments in this news article other than a reaffirmation of a commitment to a commitment.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:55 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Out of curiosity, has there been any plan to replace Highway 3 between St Thomas (Highway 401) and Fort Erie (QEW) with a 400-series highway (with the possibility to be connected to Highway 402 and to even form the western leg of the legendary London Ring Road)? I’ve heard the St Thomas Bypass was built because at one point both Norfolk and Haldimand Counties were envisioned to be part of GTHA (or to become regional municipalities).

Links (especially graphs) will be appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:43 PM

There were plans for big upgrades to highway 3 and 6 but I’m not sure it was ever a full freeway. Some of it is still in municipal official plans if you look. I’ve seen the old proposed alignment of 6 from Caledonia down to Naticoke, it would have followed the hydro corridor east of Hagersville and Jarvis and past Jarvis detoured over to Nanticoke instead of heading into Port Dover as it does today. The same OP also has a realignment of 3 around Dunnville, eliminating that weird zigzag 3 does dropping south into Dunnville.

The whole failed “new city” in Norfolk / Haldimand is so fascinating to me. The province planned a whole new city of 150,000 people just outside of Jarvis with employment at Nanticoke, US Steel, and other industries on the shores of Lake Erie, but it never materialized. All that happened is they built a few hundred homes and the whole thing fell apart. What’s left is Townsville, a small community entirely consisting of early 1980’s subdivisions and a very oversized Main Street built for a much larger community.

Regardless it’s all “dead” now and never coming back.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Out of curiosity, has there been any plan to replace Highway 3 between St Thomas (Highway 401) and Fort Erie (QEW) with a 400-series highway (with the possibility to be connected to Highway 402 and to even form the western leg of the legendary London Ring Road)? I’ve heard the St Thomas Bypass was built because at one point both Norfolk and Haldimand Counties were envisioned to be part of GTHA (or to become regional municipalities).
Outside of the towns on the route I don't think there's enough traffic to warrant that. Local bypasses (like the super two in St. Thomas) are probably enough for a long time to come.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:59 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
There were plans for big upgrades to highway 3 and 6 but I’m not sure it was ever a full freeway. Some of it is still in municipal official plans if you look. I’ve seen the old proposed alignment of 6 from Caledonia down to Naticoke, it would have followed the hydro corridor east of Hagersville and Jarvis and past Jarvis detoured over to Nanticoke instead of heading into Port Dover as it does today. The same OP also has a realignment of 3 around Dunnville, eliminating that weird zigzag 3 does dropping south into Dunnville.

The whole failed “new city” in Norfolk / Haldimand is so fascinating to me. The province planned a whole new city of 150,000 people just outside of Jarvis with employment at Nanticoke, US Steel, and other industries on the shores of Lake Erie, but it never materialized. All that happened is they built a few hundred homes and the whole thing fell apart. What’s left is Townsville, a small community entirely consisting of early 1980’s subdivisions and a very oversized Main Street built for a much larger community.

Regardless it’s all “dead” now and never coming back.
Townsend is definitely a fascinating case in Ontario and Canadian planning. I remember we spent time talking about it in one of my urban geography courses (back in the early 1990s when it was still "fresh"... my memory of details, however, is not )

If anyone ever takes a drive down Hwy 6 south of Hamilton it's worth a little detour west just before you hit Jarvis, on Nanticoke Creek Parkway. It feels really strange to be in the midst of this little patch of suburbia, surrounded by an ocean of rural land.

I don't know if there's a lot of literature about it, though you'd think someone may have done a thesis at some point.

Here are a couple of links with short summaries of the history:
http://www.townsendretraced.ca/project.html
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2009/06/16...-phantom-town/

Driving down to Nanticoke is another interesting tour. The remaining buildings of the power generating station were just demolished (link is to a YouTube video from Aug 22), but the Stelco/USS/New-Stelco plant is still there, as is a refinery... it's kind of surreal to see these hulking industrial complexes rising out of farm fields. You can drive right along Lake Erie in many places down there, between Port Dover and the Grand River (there's a road between the steel mill and the lake along one stretch).

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Aug 24, 2019 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 1:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Folly of yesterday: https://twitter.com/opp_hsd/status/1...625974784?s=21

both cars impounded, their parents probably extremely pissed, insurance rates through the roof

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 5:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...0.3011/page-21

PIC for GTA West Corridor

I wanna see Highway 410 directly connected to the tolled road. Forcing 410 onto 10 was a ridiculous move.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I wanna see Highway 410 directly connected to the tolled road. Forcing 410 onto 10 was a ridiculous move.
Why?

A good portion of traffic on the 410 in that area is likely heading to/from Orangeville and beyond on Hwy 10 anyway. This saves those vehicles having to travel on Mayfield Rd. and hit several stoplights, or along the next east-west road beyond that had 410 gone that far.

Future extensions north are probably going to be easier on Hwy 10. It's got a wide right-of-way, and a new separate crossing of the Niagara Escarpment would not be needed. This also removes the need for two interchanges with a future highway in the GTA-W corridor, as only one would be needed -- saves both land and money.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Excerpt from a book on privatization by Linda McQuaig. This is from a chapter about the sale of Hwy 407 two decades ago. A long but interesting read... regardless of one's views on capitalism and sales of public assets.

"Birth of a fiasco: How the Ontario Tories completely botched the sale of Highway 407"
from The Sport and Prey of Capitalists: How the Rich are stealing Canada’s Public Wealth
Choose your paywall -- it may be available elsewhere too:
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...f-highway-407/
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...eed-limit.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:07 AM

Cool links thank you. This is another really good book about the 407:

https://www.amazon.ca/If-You-Build-C...y&sr=8-2-spell

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario