HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:40 PM

That's where the convention center expansion goes. In the end the entire wall will go away.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:59 PM

Beautiful shots, Mopacs! Please take more of the other sites under construction when you can! They're very much appreciated

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Tower looks nice, except for that hideous blank wall on the podium. I hope there's something going there soon or blocking that view in the near future.
These designs of the convention center expansion all outdated but you get the idea. The final design will likely taller than the hotel podium.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
These designs of the convention center expansion all outdated but you get the idea. The final design will likely taller than the hotel podium.

Please support me as I circulate a petition to bring back the old convention center expansion proposal for the sole purpose of getting a Verts Kebap in its original format.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 7:14 PM

I really like the new Marriott's texture and height, but the way it's oriented against ACC and against the Four Seasons residences really gives my OCD the fits. A relatively skinny tower up crowded up against the SE corner of the city block. My brain really wants a building that looks like the one in the rendering above . . . a full half block, situated to face Cesar Chavez/the Center. Hard to explain, I guess; something just doesn't feel right about the placement.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Tower looks nice, except for that hideous blank wall on the podium. I hope there's something going there soon or blocking that view in the near future.
That was left blank because the first phase of the convention center is planned to go up next to it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:16 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I really like the new Marriott's texture and height, but the way it's oriented against ACC and against the Four Seasons residences really gives my OCD the fits. A relatively skinny tower up crowded up against the SE corner of the city block. My brain really wants a building that looks like the one in the rendering above . . . a full half block, situated to face Cesar Chavez/the Center. Hard to explain, I guess; something just doesn't feel right about the placement.

I'm glad that it's not a long rectangle fronting CC. We have too many of those IMO plus it wouldn't be as tall as it is now. As far as hotels go, it's a nice addition.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 5:30 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:24 PM

From a photo posted on reddit:

Source

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:31 PM

Just had a brief conversation with their new GM at an industry luncheon -- firm opening date is still Aug 2020, but the building itself should ready for occupancy in June. He's giving himself 6-8 weeks to staff and train before formally throwing open the doors.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:55 PM

The folks in the northeast corner of the Four Seasons probably won't be sitting on their balconies in their skivies when this opens. Fortunately they still have steller views of the lake and the other open balconies on the south east corners. The first 8 floors with their enclosed balconies looks so much nicer. Too bad they didn't copy that to the roof. I'm so glad for the color contrasts between the two buildings. Being that they share the same height, this sets them apart so the Marriot doesn't come off as twinish. Still, when there's not much around the two, I don't much care for the proximity to each other. The same goes for the Ashton and the office tower just feet away. The Google tower cluster is ok because that whole area is a dense cluster. I'm just saying a half a block further apart with the Marriot and Four Seasons would have looked better imo.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:54 AM

The Marriott held a topping off ceremony the 27th, one step closer to completion!
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300927041.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
The Marriott held a topping off ceremony the 27th, one step closer to completion!
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300927041.html
Nice find. The next big one to top out is a race between 300 Colorado and Indeed Tower.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Nice find. The next big one to top out is a race between 300 Colorado and Indeed Tower.
if I were a betting man my money would be on 300 Colorado to top out first. It has both fewer floors and a smaller footprint.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
if I were a betting man my money would be on 300 Colorado to top out first. It has both fewer floors and a smaller footprint.
Agreed. Also the fact that 300 Colorado doesn't have a deep pit that it is rising out of. While Indeed took quite awhile in terms of both digging down and then rising out of.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 8:33 PM

Here is a more detailed article about the Marriott and its topping out from Austin Towers. I like the look of this tower, it also helps fill in space well.
https://austin.towers.net/downtown-a...s-topping-out/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:03 AM
Meh

They started lowering the tower crane today.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:04 PM

They've put up a large portion of the ground-floor facade now -- it's a dark red brick, that I think looks quite nice. I don't believe brick was readily apparent from the renderings, but it's making me think this is going to be one good-looking building -- almost like something you'd see going up in NYC or Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
They've put up a large portion of the ground-floor facade now -- it's a dark red brick, that I think looks quite nice. I don't believe brick was readily apparent from the renderings, but it's making me think this is going to be one good-looking building -- almost like something you'd see going up in NYC or Chicago.
Good to hear, I remember from the renders the building looks like it was going to be all lightly colored glass, glad to see things have changed up! Would you be able to post a picture of the facade on here?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Good to hear, I remember from the renders the building looks like it was going to be all lightly colored glass, glad to see things have changed up! Would you be able to post a picture of the facade on here?
If no one beats me to it, I can grab a picture on my walk home this evening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin