HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

245 Rideau Tower [2] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:43 PM

Imagine LCBO redeveloped into a matching slab with just the 5' podium as a buffer... It would push the boundaries of canyoneering for window'ed units. Even beyond that menacing Envie canyon. Even beyond the Moon 3-sided box canyon. Hard to believe that Claridge (3&4?) are not even visible in that image, though Claridge (2?) is starting to look a lot like that Johannesburg Ponte City!

I still really want to see the Claridge Plaza 3&4 podium deck view, just on the other side of the 6-storey 'podium' connector/air-and-light block/wall between Envies. And the blank Envie walls, does this mean that another set of twin towers could be built there, extending the canyon even longer?

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 2:22 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Here is being hopeful that Rimap will get it right developing the LCBO site and the former Quality INN across the road. It may hide some of the ugliness.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Here is being hopeful that Rimap will get it right developing the LCBO site and the former Quality INN across the road. It may hide some of the ugliness.
Rimap owns the LCBO site and the UofO residence?? They are a hospitality company, are they going to build two more hotels in addition to the two new Marriots in a two block radius??

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 2:26 PM

Is a hotel still part of the plan for Royale? I thought it was supposed to be mixed... part hotel, part condo, part rentals.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Is a hotel still part of the plan for Royale? I thought it was supposed to be mixed... part hotel, part condo, part rentals.
No the hotel part was removed and replaced by rentals I'm pretty sure

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 8:28 PM

I just hope the plan to have a grocery store at ground level remains. Would be even better if it was 24/7 as the previous Metro, but that is minor.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 12:28 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisoj View Post
I just hope the plan to have a grocery store at ground level remains. Would be even better if it was 24/7 as the previous Metro, but that is minor.
It is not minor - it is a must. The grocery store is coming back, that's a 100% certainty. It has to be a 24-hour store. Loblaws stopped doing 24-hour openings since the pandemic and it is a real inconvenience. Downtown doesn't sleep, it needs it.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisoj View Post

Here come all the wacky shapes and lines in the charc/beige bricks a la Moon/Story of Lowest Bidder + Mediocrity. The architects/developers are self aware, they know that featureless monochrome brick precast monoliths are abhorrent, so they put these weird varying colours/shades/shapes into things now, just to squeeze out the minimum acceptance of their garbage designs.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
It is not minor - it is a must. The grocery store is coming back, that's a 100% certainty. It has to be a 24-hour store. Loblaws stopped doing 24-hour openings since the pandemic and it is a real inconvenience. Downtown doesn't sleep, it needs it.
Wow! I had no idea that Loblaws is no longer 24 hours. That place was a lifeline during my 20's when I was bouncing around apartments in Sandy Hill.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:45 AM

Yeah the Loblaws on McArthur ceased being 24 hours since the pandemic as well.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 2:03 AM

Quote:
100% seems optimistic. Was the lease part of the deal? Signed sealed and delivered? It's years behind schedule so seems like anything could happen. Will be a lot of security costs at this point. 2-3 Fulltime probably.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:36 AM

Quote:
So is that a signed lease already? That would be the only way to be 100%. Claridge Moon also had talks about grocery store, yet here we are months away from opening without any further news about it.

As for 24/7 opening: Added density (Royale can add ~600 residents to the area on its own, plus Envie and other upcoming buildings) + less competition from Loblaws should make it a no-brainer to have it 24/7. Yet here we are with Loblaws stopping from doing so, McDonalds closing at Rideau etc.

Considering how bad that area got in the past few years, I can see being a shit show to run it 24/7.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:25 AM
Mooderator

The Metro at Wellington/Carleton used to be open quite late, but now I see it's open 8-10.

Didn't the Walmart at Trainyards operate 24 hrs at one time?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 4:14 PM

The 'Wacky and Wild Shapes' in the brick precast are particularly drab on this one.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 1:57 PM

This trend of mixing charcoal and beige bricks in random shapes & designs need to die immediately.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
This trend of mixing charcoal and beige bricks in random shapes & designs need to die immediately.
Just noticed it on Ottawa U's new building along the 417 today.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 4:52 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's a trend. I think it's unique to Ottawa. Clardige went all out, starting with Andaz and it's different coloured metal panels and now others are inexplicably picking up on that (uOttawa as mentioned, and the one on Carling replacing Travelodge).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I don't think it's a trend. I think it's unique to Ottawa. Clardige went all out, starting with Andaz and it's different coloured metal panels and now others are inexplicably picking up on that (uOttawa as mentioned, and the one on Carling replacing Travelodge).
The architectural equivalent of a painter repainting and selling nearly the same painting over and over again, just with different shades and colours.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:56 AM

Taken today! Back view from King Edward and York

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 12:41 PM

(*inserts tabletop joke*) I could have dinner up there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa