HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:47 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Yes! So does this mean we'll be seeing renderings soon?
I'm kind of scared to see what the final renderings look like, especially with the recent dumbing down of local tower projects.

PLEASE, PLEASE have the 56-story tower crack the 700' barrier.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I'm kind of scared to see what the final renderings look like, especially with the recent dumbing down of local tower projects.

PLEASE, PLEASE have the 56-story tower crack the 700' barrier.
Easily will if it has 12-foot ceilings. Even at 10.5 foot ceilings it has a shot if there is a significant crown.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Easily will if it has 12-foot ceilings. Even at 10.5 foot ceilings it has a shot if there is a significant crown.
Yeah. If the average floor was 12', then the tower would require a 28' crown to reach 700'. So, close...we'll see.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah. If the average floor was 12', then the tower would require a 28' crown to reach 700'. So, close...we'll see.
Sutton Company said they would have Austin's tallest tower due to elevation so that means from a skyline standpoint it will at least "look" taller than both the Austonian and Independent. If it cracks 700 ft regardless of the elevation factor, then the Independent will really have to revise their marketing campaign.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Sutton Company said they would have Austin's tallest tower due to elevation so that means from a skyline standpoint it will at least "look" taller than both the Austonian and Independent. If it cracks 700 ft regardless of the elevation factor, then the Independent will really have to revise their marketing campaign.
No, not really. The 56-story tower at Waller is a mixed-use tower (hotel and condos). The Independent is all residential (with a small retail component on the lobby level). So, the Independent will still have title to the tallest all residential tower west of the Mississippi (even though they only are 2' higher than the Austonian - which I think is pure crap. What a wuss move by its developers).

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
No, not really. The 56-story tower at Waller is a mixed-use tower (hotel and condos). The Independent is all residential (with a small retail component on the lobby level). So, the Independent will still have title to the tallest all residential tower west of the Mississippi (even though they only are 2' higher than the Austonian - which I think is pure crap. What a wuss move by its developers).
Yes, with the "all residential" caveat I suppose that will be the case. I'm just disappointed in the Independent.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I'm just disappointed in the Independent.
As you (and most others) should be. Man, what could have been!

I'll tell you what I will not do...suggest to a developer that they should hire Rhode Partners to design their tower. I think more tower developers should bypass local architects for their projects. Hire someone with tons of (high-rise) projects under their belt and who exhibit new, fresh, industry-changing designs. Someone who is actively designing skyscrapers in New York, Chicago, China, Europe, etc...

Heck, my 7 year-old son designed the Independent four years ago...with his multi-colored blocks. Except, his was taller (in theory) than 685'.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; May 1, 2015 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:28 PM
Meh

Again, I never ever thought The Independent would crack the 700 foot mark. It was all just wishful thinking by some on the forum. I would still be cautious about the other projects heights as well. Better to be pleasantly surprised then disappointed. I don't like to get my hopes up by getting overly excited about projects. Until I see it coming out of the ground and ultimately finished, I don't hold my breath.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Again, I never ever thought The Independent would crack the 700 foot mark. It was all just wishful thinking by some on the forum. I would still be cautious about the other projects heights as well. Better to be pleasantly surprised then disappointed. I don't like to get my hopes up by getting overly excited about projects. Until I see it coming out of the ground and ultimately finished, I don't hold my breath.
Not trying to split hairs...But, it (The Independent) would have been over 700' with 4 levels of office included in an earlier proposal, correct?

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:41 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Not trying to split hairs...But, it (The Independent) would have been over 700' with 4 levels of office included in an earlier proposal, correct?
Probably narrowly.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Probably narrowly.
If I am not mistaken, it would have added roughly 60' to the total height, yielding a 745' tower.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, it would have added roughly 60' to the total height, yielding a 745' tower.
Someone on here posted a 750 ft projection at one point so that seems like that's what made this one dip below 700'

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:11 PM

Maybe this is already known, but I heard today (from a friend of somebody that owns there) that the developer is planning to buy out the condos at what I think is 80 Red River Street (west of the Hotel VanZandt, where Red River dead ends). The story I heard is that they are planning to offer significantly above market rate for the condos as an enticement to get everyone to sell.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Maybe this is already known, but I heard today (from a friend of somebody that owns there) that the developer is planning to buy out the condos at what I think is 80 Red River Street (west of the Hotel VanZandt, where Red River dead ends). The story I heard is that they are planning to offer significantly above market rate for the condos as an enticement to get everyone to sell.
Villas on Town Lake? That's actually pretty surprising. I used to fuck a DL soccer player who lived there.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Villas on Town Lake? That's actually pretty surprising. I used to fuck a DL soccer player who lived there.
Yes, that's the one...

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Yes, that's the one...
I see no reason why that parcel needs to be redeveloped.

This suggests that the parcel recently acquired at the SE corner of Red River and Cesar Chavez may actually not be just staging ground, but is instead a planned eventual expansion of the project as well.

Does this developer really have access to so much capital to expand this project outward to not one, not two, but three additional parcels (the club/restaurant across the creek, the SE corner of Red River and Cesar Chavez, and now the Villas lot) when so many other projects are shrinking due to lack of capital?

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I see no reason why that parcel needs to be redeveloped.

This suggests that the parcel recently acquired at the SE corner of Red River and Cesar Chavez may actually not be just staging ground, but is instead a planned eventual expansion of the project as well.

Does this developer really have access to so much capital to expand this project outward to not one, not two, but three additional parcels (the club/restaurant across the creek, the SE corner of Red River and Cesar Chavez, and now the Villas lot) when so many other projects are shrinking due to lack of capital?
More will be revealed. I'm inclined to think that this is going to happen later rather than sooner. The local guy (Mac Pike/Sutton Company) can crow all he likes, but the truth is that unless McCourt and partners in NY turn on the money spiggot, this project is not going to get built. I think McCourt and his partners are pretty leveraged with multi-billion dollasr projects in NYC at the present time.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
More will be revealed. I'm inclined to think that this is going to happen later rather than sooner. The local guy (Mac Pike/Sutton Company) can crow all he likes, but the truth is that unless McCourt and partners in NY turn on the money spigot, this project is not going to get built. I think McCourt and his partners are pretty leveraged with multi-billion dollar projects in NYC at the present time.
Well, it happening later is even a step above what I originally thought about this project which is that it would never happen at all.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
More will be revealed. I'm inclined to think that this is going to happen later rather than sooner. The local guy (Mac Pike/Sutton Company) can crow all he likes, but the truth is that unless McCourt and partners in NY turn on the money spiggot, this project is not going to get built. I think McCourt and his partners are pretty leveraged with multi-billion dollasr projects in NYC at the present time.
I could see the other lots being developed later, but with the site plan finally approved I feel like this one will make good on its promise of a 2015 groundbreaking.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I could see the other lots being developed later, but with the site plan finally approved I feel like this one will make good on its promise of a 2015 groundbreaking.
Site plans don't mean very much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin