HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 11:53 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
That information led any reasonable person to surmise that an iconic design would follow if the developer was committed to an iconic height.
Ah, so it was just boosterism. I do agree with NYguy though.

I'm sure most people on these boards will find an excuse to like it anyway.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Can someone please explain the difference between a massing model and a real proposal and rendering? What is a massing model, and can we expect the real proposal to look dramatically different (i.e. a curved roof or soft edges or different window positions, etc. etc.)

P.S. I'd appreciate an answer from someone who's actually an architect, engineer, or has experience with development and NOT speculation dribble from the usual suspects. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Can someone please explain the difference between a massing model and a real proposal and rendering? What is a massing model, and can we expect the real proposal to look dramatically different (i.e. a curved roof or soft edges or different window positions, etc. etc.)

P.S. I'd appreciate an answer from someone who's actually an architect, engineer, or has experience with development and NOT speculation dribble from the usual suspects. Thanks.
well im not a licensed architect but im studying. a massing model is a mockup of how tall and bulky a structure will be, a rendering is simply a drawing or animated rendition of what something will look like. And a real proposal is in terms of art is the exact rendition of what will be built.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I didn't learn any lesson, nor do I need to.

I had very specific information about the likely height early on which was subsequently reported by newspapers, including the WSJ. That information led any reasonable person to surmise that an iconic design would follow if the developer was committed to an iconic height.

I subsequently received very specific information about the design and wanted to let people know about it so that they were not let down, as I was.

If people are dissatisfied with my service, I'll keep my information to myself in the future.
Well the lesson remains to be learned, but do as you like. Just don't repeat the same mistakes in judgement you've made here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Well the lesson remains to be learned, but do as you like. Just don't repeat the same mistakes in judgement you've made here.
Absurd. He never said anything he shouldn't have. All the guy did was provide inside information and took a guess as to the design. The design sucks. So what? He guessed wrong. Big effin' deal.

I've seen this act before- at a site called skyscrapercity. They lost a few of their best posters because of it. Just relax, big fella. There's no need to go all magisterial and critical on one of the board's top posters!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
Absurd. He never said anything he shouldn't have. All the guy did was provide inside information and took a guess as to the design. The design sucks. So what? He guessed wrong. Big effin' deal.
I don't care what goes on at SSC, but I do follow the threads here and try to keep the information as accurate as possible. When someone drums a tower up as being a "great" skyscraper (an understatement here) - sight unseen - then disregards it as being possibly the worst - (again, sight unseen) that tells me the information being posted earlier never should have been. It's enough to say a tower may look great, and to be disappointed when it isnt.

Let that be a lesson to anyone.

Now please let the conversation continue from here on out about what could potentially be the city's tallest residential. If you can't do that, then take it all back to SSC.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
well im not a licensed architect but im studying. a massing model is a mockup of how tall and bulky a structure will be, a rendering is simply a drawing or animated rendition of what something will look like. And a real proposal is in terms of art is the exact rendition of what will be built.
So does that mean that the exterior of this building could actually be completely different aside from it's general cubic dimensions of l*w*h? Are all massing models essentially featureless cubes that demonstrate a building's general footprint, or are they actually closer to the building's real intended appearance?

I'm bringing this up because people are having long, drawn-out and melodramatic emotional responses to something that's not a render. If it's really close to what we're going to get, that's understandable. But if this massing model is merely showing it's general footprint, that to me would be like a mother crying about an ugly baby when looking at it's X-ray...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 1:04 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Are all massing models essentially featureless cubes
It’s an estimation of dimensions, not a detail oriented representation of the final product.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:00 AM

Quote:
So does that mean that the exterior of this building could actually be completely different aside from it's general cubic dimensions of l*w*h? Are all massing models essentially featureless cubes that demonstrate a building's general footprint, or are they actually closer to the building's real intended appearance?

I'm bringing this up because people are having long, drawn-out and melodramatic emotional responses to something that's not a render. If it's really close to what we're going to get, that's understandable. But if this massing model is merely showing it's general footprint, that to me would be like a mother crying about an ugly baby when looking at it's X-ray...
Yes your spot on. All im seeing in this massing model is a big thin box nothing more nothing less. it entails nothing about the actual design of the facade. Just wait and see,maybe we'll be surprised.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:10 AM

Hopefully the building will use an art deco exterior.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:20 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Hopefully the building will use an art deco exterior.
Oh god no. That would look so ugly. The massing shown already just doesn't work for that architectural style. Imagine a giant rectangle with an art deco facade. Bleh. Plus, historic styles are almost never done right. Better to just make it in the modernism stlye, so it doesn't look horrendous.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:58 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I must disagree on maybe one or two points there.

While NYC is deserving of some cutting-edge architecture---which it's already getting in One57, Tower Verre and the new WTC complex---the people there do pride themselves on two things:

1. They strive to make sure that ESB is not overshadowed in height. Even though West Side construction will make it more of a true center-point instead of a detached peak, there's too much treasured history to change the height standard. After all, what other structure of its scope and mass could brag of decisively winning the competition for world's tallest during the Great Depression...and within its own city? Do you even realize that almost no skyscraper construction in this country took place throughout the '40's? That speaks of ESB's sentimental value to people in my area especially.

2. It's important to keep in mind that that the purpose of rebuilding Downtown is to make what goes up there taller and better than before.

I agree NYC is deserving of some cutting edge architecture, but it already has that, tons of it. It's also deserving of massive height, by which I mean 400 meters and up... The ESB had it's time in the sun, and while I think it is one of the greatest skyscrapers (if not THE greatest) I think it's time for it to be equaled in height by other NYC buildings if not overshadowed. If NYC can't build anything taller than ESB than there is not going to be near the skyscraper future as we previously thought. Plus 1WTC is taller than ESB anyway so why the hell not?

- Yes the purpose of rebuilding downtown IS to make it better, which it will be but it won't be taller, so why not build a twin tower+ sized building elsewhere in the city AND have all the supertalls at ground zero, and all the other ones elsewhere in the city. The ESB won't disappear it will just have company, something that it's needed every since the twins went down.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I am an extremely successful businessman and the boss to many people. I rarely make mistakes in judgment in real life, let alone on an internet forum. In the future, I'll keep inside information to myself if twenty year old members feel that it creates too much havoc in their lives.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Aug 24, 2011 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
It’s an estimation of dimensions, not a detail oriented representation of the final product.
But very close to it.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:11 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
IIt's also deserving of massive height, by which I mean 400 meters and up...
Sounds to me like you qualify the backing of a tall building for the appearance factor rather than legitimate demand. Whatever height this particular project turns out to be will be qualified by demand, not because the developer feels the city ‘deserves’ a tall building.

The concept of building tall is severely misconstrued by many here. You build based on demand.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Yes your spot on. All im seeing in this massing model is a big thin box nothing more nothing less. it entails nothing about the actual design of the facade. Just wait and see,maybe we'll be surprised.
Thanks. In that case, I'm going to ignore this thread until a real rendering is released - not leaked, or faked - but printed in a bonafide press release. If this thread is going to remain in the real world, I think everyone else should do the same and CALM DOWN.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:26 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Sounds to me like you qualify the backing of a tall building for the appearance factor rather than legitimate demand. Whatever height this particular project turns out to be will be qualified by demand, not because the developer feels the city ‘deserves’ a tall building.

The concept of building tall is severely misconstrued by many here. You build based on demand.
Never disagreed, that doesn't change the fact that NY could use a 1400 footer. I bet enough rich people would line up for this building if it were built.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:27 AM
DENNAB

Quote:

Yea ok.. tell that to the Mid East and Asia

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:31 AM
Website Manager

guys, as an example, I think that massing model could represent a building with a final design something along the lines of this, Marina 101 in Dubai.

pic from - http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2...arina-101.html

though usually massing models don't have facade detail like the one we have seen. most massing models I have seen are simply blank boxes.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:32 AM
BANNED

A crown would make an enormous difference, but the roof will be flat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive