HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebertovich View Post
So Is this where we should post for Quispamsis and Rothesay Grand bay and Westfield ?
Nope. If it is part of the Saint John CMA, it should be posted in the Saint John thread.

Another option though would be to create a neighbourhood thread. For example, in Moncton there are [Moncton] Riverview Developments and [Moncton] Dieppe Developments threads. There is no reason why you could not create [Saint John] Rothesay, Quispamsis, Hampton Developments and [Saint John] Grand Bay, Westfield Developments threads....

Personally, I like the second option.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:13 PM
ハルウララ

Rothesay, Quispamsis, and GBW are not rural, they're suburbs, despite what most people living there would like to admit. This thread is for places such as Sussex, St. Stephen, Woodstock, etc. Larger (or smaller) areas not included in larger cities' CMAs.

We could create a [Saint John] Suburbs thread but I personally don't think we have the content nor the traffic to keep that thread busy enough.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:44 PM

Thanks guys just wanted to post a couple pics of the new Tims on Marr .. didn't want any flack, I remember a couple of posts back people getting testy on burb talk

I do like the [Saint John] Suburbs thread though Greg.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebertovich View Post
I do like the [Saint John] Suburbs thread though Greg.
If you think it can fly then by all means. I'll edit anything that needs editing in the title or anywhere else.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:40 PM

/derail I know I'm just a poster, but my gut feel is that when the general thread gets to about 7500 posts, it probably warrants shifting to the prefix threads, like Moncton and Saint Johns did. And from there, we can see if use will justify a subboard. So Saint John is probably past due for prefix threads now; but Freddy still has a ways to go (sadly, but we're trying! )

Oh and to get back on topic slightly, though it isn't much. The McDonalds in Woodstock's WalMart is apparently going to close. They've been losing too much in labour to keep it open. Considering the main McD's is in spitting distance, and the location in the Woodstock store feels like an awkward position, it's not too surprising.

Should be interesting to see how that end of Connell street grows now. Pizza Delight, Pita Factory, and KFC (and a Gym), along with Connell Road Irving are all moving into the area around WalMart.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:30 PM

How is the Civic Centre in St Stephen coming along?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:32 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
How is the Civic Centre in St Stephen coming along?
I may be down in that area this weekend so if I am I will get a picture or two. When I was last down there was framing already up (I posted a picture in this thread a page or two ago). That Civic Centre, along with the hotel, is a big deal for St. Stephen.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Does anyone (perhaps one of the Fredericton forumers) know anything about the Sisson Project?

There was an article about it in the T&T today.

It is a proposed Tungsten mine that will be located about 100km northwest of Fredericton. It apparently is a $580M project that will be capable of producing about 8% of the world's requirements for this metal. molybdenum would be an important secondary metal produced by the mine.

It will be an open pit operation creating 500 jobs in the construction phase and 300 jobs permanently.

The company, Northcliff Resources has just completed the feasability study for this project and they say they are "quite excited" about getting project approval and proceding with construction....

This could be very important for the province if it pans out!

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 1, 2013 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Does anyone (perhaps one of the Fredericton forumers) know anything about the Sisson Project?
There is an article in today's TJ about this, as well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:03 PM

I had been working in the Stanely area for the past year, and was excited for all the news to go public. There had been a substantian amount of testing in the area. I have nothing to add to the conversation other than alot of rumours and speculation. Very happy this might be moving forward soon.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:05 PM

I heard about this tungsten mine a couple of years ago while working on the Moncton to Edmundston route on CN. The guys were saying that CN is planning on building a 11 mile spur to connect with this mine. I haven't heard anymore of this, I do know there was some development or research being done in that area, the area as we know it is in between NAPADOGAN and DEERSDALE. I had also heard that they may truck the minerals either to Belledune or to a place in Quebec...meaning it wasn't a substantial amount of product to justify rail service. I hope a spur is added, more work for us

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:06 PM
ハルウララ

More work for everyone. This is great news if it goes forward.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:23 PM

Sisson Project

I was reading up on their progress to date, and they are in the middle of their EA, but I would say that the probability of this developement going ahead is pretty high. Tungsten is a strategic mineral used in the manufacturing and machining industries that is in short supply in North America.
Pretty good description on their project website:

http://www.sissonproject.ca/s/Home.asp

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:17 PM
ハルウララ

From the link Owen posted.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:05 PM

How old is that map? The railway dotted lines seem very out of date; the Woodstock lines were torn up decades ago IIRC.

But yeah there does seem to be a lot of excitement about it, though it hasn't really hit the news in Fredericton from what I've noticed. (Granted I only listen to Fred and Fox, but I don't recall seeing it on either of their news feeds). With China limiting their Tungstun exports more and more, this will become more desireable.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
How old is that map? The railway dotted lines seem very out of date; the Woodstock lines were torn up decades ago IIRC.

But yeah there does seem to be a lot of excitement about it, though it hasn't really hit the news in Fredericton from what I've noticed. (Granted I only listen to Fred and Fox, but I don't recall seeing it on either of their news feeds). With China limiting their Tungstun exports more and more, this will become more desireable.
The map is straight from the Sisson Project site. They probably used old railway line maps, or something.

And...who controls the media in NB?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:58 PM

Well, if you're doing an Irving dig, that news has been reported in the Irving papers.

My main sources for NB news tend to be CBC, Fox (Astral Media), and Fred FM (different media I can't recall off hand), and I don't recall any news about this from any of them. But I could easily have just overlooked it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 7:10 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Well, if you're doing an Irving dig, that news has been reported in the Irving papers.
I know. Both the TJ and CH (or was it T&T?) had articles about the Sisson Project. Irving are big in the Deersdale area.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 7:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I know. Both the TJ and CH (or was it T&T?) had articles about the Sisson Project. Irving are big in the Deersdale area.
T&T. I was the first one to bring up the Sisson Project on the forums.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:46 PM

Heard from my parents, NB is going to get another Burger King. They're going to build one up near the Hospital in Hartland, near where the Irving and the Covered Bridge Chips factory is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces