HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 12:20 AM

Any chance we can see service from YXE and YQR to Western US Hubs such as SFO, LAX or SEA?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:11 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Any chance we can see service from YXE and YQR to Western US Hubs such as SFO, LAX or SEA?
I only hope YXE will pick-up a year-round LAX flight; however, if Westjet made their LAS/PHX seasonal flights year-round, it would definitely add to YXE's passenger's choice for connecting to other US destination or inter-continental destinations with fewer stops.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
I only hope YXE will pick-up a year-round LAX flight; however, if Westjet made their LAS/PHX seasonal flights year-round, it would definitely add to YXE's passenger's choice for connecting to other US destination or inter-continental destinations with fewer stops.
YQR is shooting for a non-stop LAX route.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 10:40 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
YQR is shooting for a non-stop LAX route.
Do you know which airline yqr is wanting to pick up that route?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:01 AM

Quote:
No idea; but I know this much: Saskatoon will have its "own" flight to Chicago as of Aug. 27. (Via United Express ERJ-145.) It looks like that each city will have its own flight to ORD. (Chicago.)

Source: YYZNews.com

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing by UA having the somewhat larger hub there they might be the obvious choice; they currently serve YLW-LAX. Besides them, maybe WestJet.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:20 PM
ConstructionPete

United Airlines To Offer Non-Stop Daily to Chicago (ORD)

March 26, 2013
Saskatoon International Airport
www.yxe.ca

United Airlines has announced they will eliminate the Regina station stop on their Saskatoon – Chicago daily United Express flight, effectively making it a non-stop flight. While United has been providing the Saskatoon community with daily service to Chicago since 2009, the flight had a scheduled station stop in Regina. The new nonstop service begins on Aug. 27, 2013.

“We are delighted with this decision by United,” states Stephen Maybury, President & CEO at the Saskatoon Airport. “Chicago is a critical hub for travelers to connect to United’s world-wide network. Making this a non-stop flight demonstrates the strength of our market and the confidence United has for this route.”

Flight Schedule:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:15 PM

j

Last edited by mjpaul; Mar 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM. Reason: would delete if that option were avaliable

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:04 PM
ConstructionPete

Saskatoon International Canada's 2nd Fastest Growing Airport

With 15 of Canada's busiest airports now reporting their 2012 passenger numbers, Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport was Canada's 2nd fastest growing major airport in 2012. Saskatoon International Airport reported a 6.5% increase in passenger growth in 2012, outpacing every major airport in Canada east and west of Toronto for the exception of Toronto City Billy Bishop International Airport. Over the last 3 years, Billy Bishop Airport has seen an average annual growth rate of 38% thanks in part to added service and destinations by Porter and Air Canada airlines; something of an anomaly for the aviation industry . The average growth rate in 2012 for the 15 busiest airports in Canada was 5.5%. Saskatoon International Airport hopes this trend continues by adding additional capacity recently announced by Air Canada as well as Westjet. Beginning this summer United Airlines announced they will begin non-stop service to Chicago, replacing their present Saskatoon -Regina station stop en route to Chicago.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_in_Canada

http://yxe.ca/press-releases/article...o-chicago-ord/

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=752

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=616

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
With 15 of Canada's busiest airports now reporting their 2012 passenger numbers, Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport was Canada's 2nd fastest growing major airport in 2012. Saskatoon International Airport reported a 6.5% increase in passenger growth in 2012, outpacing every major airport in Canada east and west of Toronto for the exception of Toronto City Billy Bishop International Airport. Over the last 3 years, Billy Bishop Airport has seen an average annual growth rate of 38% thanks in part to added service and destinations by Porter and Air Canada airlines; something of an anomaly for the aviation industry . The average growth rate in 2012 for the 15 busiest airports in Canada was 5.5%. Saskatoon International Airport hopes this trend continues by adding additional capacity recently announced by Air Canada as well as Westjet. Beginning this summer United Airlines announced they will begin non-stop service to Chicago, replacing their present Saskatoon -Regina station stop en route to Chicago.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_in_Canada

http://yxe.ca/press-releases/article...o-chicago-ord/

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=752

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=616
Whilst it is great to see pax numbers increase at our airports; however, we're pretty small potatoes compared to the big airports. YYZ pax traffic was up by 4.4% - or by 1,536,148 people. (YYC 818,288 @ 6.0%) YXE had an increase of 6.5% alright, but with only 86,244 pax. (Which is pretty good for a small prairie city!) Statistically speaking? Maybe, but this is not really much the big picture. YYZ's last year's pax percentage increase was higher than the entire pax number which travelled through YXE during all of 2012!

YQR/YXE are Tier-2 airports. (Tier-1s are: YUL; YYZ; YVR; YYC; YHZ etc.)

Including Billy Bishop [YTZ] into the average results in a statistical aberration of weighted skewness. With YTZ [+ the other 14], pax traffic is up by 5.5% alright; without YTZ though, it is only 3.56%. (Which is still pretty damn good overall!!!)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 5:34 PM
ConstructionPete

Porter Western Expansion

A recent article in Canadian Skies Magazine, Porter Airlines hinted that in the next 2-3 years, a western expansion is possible as new aircraft are added to the fleet and operations expand.

Do you believe Porter could successfully implement itself in the western regional market? What destinations would they serve? Would Saskatoon provide a cost effective base for operations?

More on the article can be found here

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 3:07 PM

Quote:
A recent article in Canadian Skies Magazine, Porter Airlines hinted that in the next 2-3 years, a western expansion is possible as new aircraft are added to the fleet and operations expand.

Do you believe Porter could successfully implement itself in the western regional market? What destinations would they serve? Would Saskatoon provide a cost effective base for operations?

I don’t know. I would expect they would go after low hanging fruit first. Routes where they can fill a 75 seat aircraft at high ticket prices. That is probably Fort Mac to Calgary and Edmonton. There are a few times of the year (e.g. Spring break) where unless you have booked a week or two earlier it is imposable to find a seat in/out of Saskatoon.

Back in Toronto they actually do a good job of driving prices down on the routes they operate. That includes forcing WestJet and Air Canada to compete on price.

Can’t speak for the service as I have never flow on them, though it sounds like it is better than both Air Canada and WestJet. The last time I was in or out of Toronto Island airport was in the days of Air Ontario operating the route to Ottawa. Having slots at Toronto Island should be a real competitive advantage, something that is hard to duplicate in the west.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:01 PM
Hmm....

Quote:

I doubt Regina and Saskatoon are even on their radar for flights, let alone a hub. They'll probably start with proven markets like Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver and eventually branch out from there.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I doubt Regina and Saskatoon are even on their radar for flights, let alone a hub. They'll probably start with proven markets like Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver and eventually branch out from there.
Agreed. Although Toronto flights from SK are very busy, many passengers are connecting at YYZ. Billy Bishop would not work for them. It would be great to be able to fly direct to YTZ from YQR and YXE though!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 5:18 PM

Quote:

I think Saskatoon or Regina would not be on the radar as a base of operations. I do believe that Porter will expand to be a truly national airline in the future. I can almost see them making YWG a main base of operations as they might want to differentiate themselves from AC, and WJ and not have their hub at YYC. And YWG has their brand new terminal and is centrally located which would be ideal for them.

On that note, it looks like Porter is ready to announce plans to purchase brand new Cseries aircraft from Bombardier which would make sense regarding the western expansion plans that you mention. It looks like they plan to purchase 12 aircraft first with 18 options. This would complement their Q400 fleet quite well, and should postion them to be a national airline.

Read the article at http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/porter-air...port-1.1230026

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I think Saskatoon or Regina would not be on the radar as a base of operations. I do believe that Porter will expand to be a truly national airline in the future. I can almost see them making YWG a main base of operations as they might want to differentiate themselves from AC, and WJ and not have their hub at YYC. And YWG has their brand new terminal and is centrally located which would be ideal for them.

On that note, it looks like Porter is ready to announce plans to purchase brand new Cseries aircraft from Bombardier which would make sense regarding the western expansion plans that you mention. It looks like they plan to purchase 12 aircraft first with 18 options. This would complement their Q400 fleet quite well, and should postion them to be a national airline.

Read the article at http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/porter-air...port-1.1230026

Oh well. But maybe in in a few years....

Porter Airlines confirmed Wednesday that it plans to buy up to 30 CS100 jets from Montreal-based Bombardier, greatly expanding its reach with the potential to expand its service to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Florida and the Caribbean.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Oh well. But maybe in in a few years....

Porter Airlines confirmed Wednesday that it plans to buy up to 30 CS100 jets from Montreal-based Bombardier, greatly expanding its reach with the potential to expand its service to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Florida and the Caribbean.
sucks to be here..we are always an afterthought here. I would love flying to Billy Bishop airport as its very convenient for me. Two flights from Saskatchewan per day could easily be filled by Porter. (one for yqr and yxe per day)

Calgary would be ideal western hub

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
sucks to be here..we are always an afterthought here. I would love flying to Billy Bishop airport as its very convenient for me. Two flights from Saskatchewan per day could easily be filled by Porter. (one for yqr and yxe per day)

Calgary would be ideal western hub
We'll never see non-stop YQR/YXE service to YTZ. We'll always have to transit YYZ. Besides that, YTZ's longest runway is only 3988'. (That is pushing it for a fully-loaded Q400 [or other 'large' a/c] for take-offs. [fuel weight/high density altitude-related issues.]) Landings are not normally a problem.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
We'll never see non-stop YQR/YXE service to YTZ. We'll always have to transit YYZ. Besides that, YTZ's longest runway is only 3988'. (That is pushing it for a fully-loaded Q400 [or other 'large' a/c] for take-offs. [fuel weight/high density altitude-related issues.]) Landings are not normally a problem.

I wouldn't say "never"..The Q 400's already land there..but the new Porter jets would need another 400 feet

as far as the short runway, they want to extend it and sounds like all 3 levels are in support. However the Lefties will have something to say about that and make some noise.

They could easily extend both runways to whatever is required. This would be great for Toronto and very convenient for the traveling public. Driving to Pearson from downtown Toronto is something I dont enjoy

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...d_airport.html

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
I wouldn't say "never"..The Q 400's already land there..but the new Porter jets would need another 400 feet

as far as the short runway, they want to extend it and sounds like all 3 levels are in support. However the Lefties will have something to say about that and make some noise.

They could easily extend both runways to whatever is required. This would be great for Toronto and very convenient for the traveling public. Driving to Pearson from downtown Toronto is something I dont enjoy

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...d_airport.html
Saskatoon is not a planned destination, however if the can convince Toronto City council to permit the runway expansion and removing the ban on jets, it is an impressive network to have from downtown Toronto .....
https://www.porterplans.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan