HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Only if you enjoy dodging drivers who are not looking for pedestrians because they are too busy looking for cars about to collide with them. Traffic signal lights were always a far more elegant solution.
I've been through a few times as a pedestrian and find that because the pedestrian crossings are NOT right at the entrances/exits for the circles, motorists have been very aware of my presence... even moreso than what I can recall trying to cross the turning lanes at the intersection of Northpark/Cunard/Agricola prior to the introduction of the circles.

I've also had the experience of driving through and feeling as though it's much smoother now.

I don't bike, but hear from those who do that the traffic circles aren't great for bicyclists as separate bike lanes tend to disappear into shared bike/car lanes without much consideration, and they generally preferred the signalized intersections.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I don't bike, but hear from those who do that the traffic circles aren't great for bicyclists as separate bike lanes tend to disappear into shared bike/car lanes without much consideration, and they generally preferred the signalized intersections.

Hmm. If cyclists hate them, I may have to reconsider my position to oppose roundabouts.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I've been through a few times as a pedestrian and find that because the pedestrian crossings are NOT right at the entrances/exits for the circles, motorists have been very aware of my presence... even moreso than what I can recall trying to cross the turning lanes at the intersection of Northpark/Cunard/Agricola prior to the introduction of the circles.

I've also had the experience of driving through and feeling as though it's much smoother now.

I drive through twice/day and I like the roundabouts, the only issue I've seen with cyclists is the ones that decide there are now 'pedestrians' and drive across the marked crosswalks, expecting that cars have to yield to them, which is incorrect. It happens too often at other crosswalks as well. Some cyclists do the right thing and walk their bikes through the crosswalks.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Only if you enjoy dodging drivers who are not looking for pedestrians because they are too busy looking for cars about to collide with them. Traffic signal lights were always a far more elegant solution.
I walk the new roundabouts 3-4 times a weekday and they are by far and away the best interaction between cars and pedestrians in this city. No dodging needed.

The sidewalks are pushed back from the roundabouts, so at that point the cars are not yet worrying about traffic in the roundabout and they can fully give their attention to the crosswalk. Also, since they are farther back the only path for a car is straight through the crosswalk; no drivers turning right through a crosswalk while looking left for traffic like you get at regular intersections.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I drive through twice/day and I like the roundabouts, the only issue I've seen with cyclists is the ones that decide there are now 'pedestrians' and drive across the marked crosswalks, expecting that cars have to yield to them, which is incorrect. It happens too often at other crosswalks as well. Some cyclists do the right thing and walk their bikes through the crosswalks.
I'm not a fan of when people do that as well.

My only pet peeve with the roundabouts is cars trying to pass cyclists in the circle despite the clear 'Single File Only' signs at the entrances.

From a pedestrian point-of-view these are the best intersections in town!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I walk the new roundabouts 3-4 times a weekday and they are by far and away the best interaction between cars and pedestrians in this city. No dodging needed.

The sidewalks are pushed back from the roundabouts, so at that point the cars are not yet worrying about traffic in the roundabout and they can fully give their attention to the crosswalk. Also, since they are farther back the only path for a car is straight through the crosswalk; no drivers turning right through a crosswalk while looking left for traffic like you get at regular intersections.

As a driver I find them far worse. I think the problem is that you have to process too many inputs too quickly:

- determine which lane you need to use via signage
- look out, crosswalk before you enter!
- watch for oncoming cars on the right
- try to maintain your lane so you don't sideswipe the car next to you
- watch for more oncoming cars on the right
- why is there still a car next to me?
- find your exit
- am I in the correct lane still?
- watch for more oncoming cars on your right
- Ah, I made it out OHMYGODJTHERE'SANOTHERCROSSWALK <stand on brakes>

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith p. View Post
as a driver i find them far worse. I think the problem is that you have to process too many inputs too quickly:

- find your exit
- am i in the correct lane still?
- ah, i made it out ohmygodjthere'sanothercrosswalk <stand on brakes>
awwh - the drama

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:02 AM

Quote:
As a driver I find them far worse. I think the problem is that you have to process too many inputs too quickly:

- find your exit
- am I in the correct lane still?
- Ah, I made it out OHMYGODJTHERE'SANOTHERCROSSWALK <stand on brakes>
Maybe Keith has reached an age where he should give up driving - it seems to be far too complicated for him

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Maybe Keith has reached an age where he should give up driving - it seems to be far too complicated for him
Judging from the number of incidents at the new roundabouts perhaps the objective is to get everyone to give up driving. The Uteck ones in particular are a never-ending disaster.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I think that it's the same reason that he doesn't like Dartmouth Crossing. Since we're about the same age, and I like the roundabouts and Dartmouth Crossing, I think that it's not age related, but more related to political leanings.

Last edited by JET; Jul 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Judging from the number of incidents at the new roundabouts perhaps the objective is to get everyone to give up driving. The Uteck ones in particular are a never-ending disaster.
Interesting - my perception might be skewed then. Do we know if there are more accidents or less? Who keeps stats on these things?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:
I am an excellent driver.

My opinion of them stands. They are hugely wasteful.
Reminds me of a quote from Rain Man...

at the roundabout 'discussion'. Thanks for the chuckle!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
I think that it's the same reason that he doesn't like Dartmouth Crossing. Since we're about the same age, and I like the roundabouts and Dartmouth Crossing, I think that it's not age related, but more related to political leanings.
I am genuinely curious: what is there to like about the hellhole that is Dartmouth Crossing? (maybe we should move this to the Dartmouth Crossing thread)

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
I am genuinely curious: what is there to like about the hellhole that is Dartmouth Crossing? (maybe we should move this to the Dartmouth Crossing thread)
I find DC easy to get to (I live in Dartmouth Downtown), there are mostly four- way stops, with a few stop lights. I tend to go to Canadian Tire and Home Depot, and it's a quick trip along that road. I never have a hard time getting a parking spot. There is a good set up with most of the eateries beside the Cineplex. Getting out of DC is easy. It's not Bayers Lake (I only go to BL for the Lee Valley Tools). Those are my top reasons for liking DC.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:52 PM

DC is better than BL, but I don't see a lot to "like" about either. They serve utilitarian purposes, but I can't say I see travelling to either as anything but a chore to be done with as quickly as possible.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
DC is better than BL, but I don't see a lot to "like" about either. They serve utilitarian purposes, but I can't say I see travelling to either as anything but a chore to be done with as quickly as possible.
Man, you need to try whistling while you work, cuts down on the drudgery.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
I find DC easy to get to (I live in Dartmouth Downtown), there are mostly four- way stops, with a few stop lights. I tend to go to Canadian Tire and Home Depot, and it's a quick trip along that road. I never have a hard time getting a parking spot. There is a good set up with most of the eateries beside the Cineplex. Getting out of DC is easy. It's not Bayers Lake (I only go to BL for the Lee Valley Tools). Those are my top reasons for liking DC.
I agree with JET on this one. DC is actually very easy to get to, from, and around, always has parking available, has a decent selection of shops and restaurants, etc. etc. I like the layout much better than the standard mall where parking is on the periphery and all shoppers converge to a centralized location - DC's layout actually feels less crowded and you don't have to walk endlessly inside a boring mall to get where you are going. From a "male shopping perspective" (i.e. I know what I want before I go there, go directly to the store, buy it and get out), it's ideal.

If you actually want to walk around you can park and walk to any shop you wish to, as there are sidewalks going everywhere.

I actually like the layout and the aesthetic and for those who think it is killing retail in DT Halifax, it is actually serving a different market.

Personally, I think DC gets crapped on far more than it deserves here, but probably just because it goes against some standard urban planning ideals. (and for those who have trouble driving... )

Just my

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:

Almost all of those things you mention are what I dislike about it. The interchange is at the far end of the place so if you want to go to HD you have to drive to the opposite end of the place navigating all those intersections. As much as I dislike roundabouts, this would be the place for them to replace all those 4-ways stops which many people seem paralyzed by (I think because they are multi-lane roadways, and side-by-side cars may not move along simultaneously, they terrify timid drivers whose turn it is to go) and the interminably lengthy traffic lights. I find the two main roads that go end to end constantly frustrating because of those intersections. You just can't get to where you want efficiently.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Almost all of those things you mention are what I dislike about it. The interchange is at the far end of the place so if you want to go to HD you have to drive to the opposite end of the place navigating all those intersections. As much as I dislike roundabouts, this would be the place for them to replace all those 4-ways stops which many people seem paralyzed by (I think because they are multi-lane roadways, and side-by-side cars may not move along simultaneously, they terrify timid drivers whose turn it is to go) and the interminably lengthy traffic lights. I find the two main roads that go end to end constantly frustrating because of those intersections. You just can't get to where you want efficiently.
It must be politics, there's some reason that you and I tend not to agree on stuff.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 12:16 AM

The only time I have walked through them so far, a car stopped suddenly to let me cross after zooming through the roundabout and they got rear-ended by someone else expecting to be able to rush through unimpeded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos