HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:01 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Ok... Apparently you didn't catch on to the fact that I was joking, hence the smilies and reference to myself as 'Killjoy'. I thought it was pretty obvious, as did basically everyone else not from Winnipeg. (did you see BNK's massive rant? That was priceless!)

You do realize the entire thread is a spoof, and is viewed as a joke by everyone, right? By even pretending to take it seriously, you Winnipeg folks are making the joke 2x funnier.
Are you trying to make some sort of point here, or are you just here to stir shit up, being a mod and thinking you can say whatever you want?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:04 PM
Administrator

No... Archiseek flipped out in the mod forum this morning, apparently fearing that I was really going to change everyone's User Location to 'Loserpeg', so I'm coming in here to point out the obvious, that it was just a joke, just in case someone actually thought I was serious.

It's a fun thread, and 1ajs being slick enough to advertise his city adds to the fun. Not in a bad way, but in a 'haha, good thinking' kind of way. It's just funny, that's all.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:06 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
No... Archiseek flipped out in the mod forum this morning, apparently fearing that I was really going to change everyone's User Location to 'Loserpeg', so I'm coming in here to point out the obvious, that it was just a joke, just in case someone actually thought I was serious.

It's a fun thread, and 1ajs being slick enough to advertise his city adds to the fun. Not in a bad way, but in a 'haha, good thinking' kind of way. It's just funny, that's all.
So you think that coming here and calling people's hometown "loserpeg" is funny? Do you have a problem with Winnipeg or something? Tons of people advertise their cities with pride. What's wrong with that?

It's pretty childish of you, man.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:25 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Ok... Apparently you didn't catch on to the fact that I was joking, hence the smilies and reference to myself as 'Killjoy'. I thought it was pretty obvious, as did basically everyone else not from Winnipeg. (did you see BNK's massive rant? That was priceless!)

You do realize the entire thread is a spoof, and is viewed as a joke by everyone, right? By even pretending to take it seriously, you Winnipeg folks are making the joke 2x funnier.
It came across to me pretty clear that you were "taking the piss" so to speak. No harm done. I thought it was pretty funny.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Did I miss something here?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:56 PM

I think jason's explanation is pretty clear. Lighten up guys. Sheesh.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 6:19 PM
Armchair urbanist

Air out your dirty laundry elsewhere.

Anyways, onto something we're heard plenty about lately.

Apartment vacancies hit record low

By: Murray McNeill and Bartley Kives

Winnipeg's apartment vacancy rate has fallen to its lowest level on record -- a scant one per cent -- prompting some officials to label it a crisis.

"It's really at a breaking point right now," Jino Distasio, director of the University of Winnipeg's Institute of Urban Studies, said Thursday. "Provincial and federal authorities need to make a decision on what the strategy should be (for addressing the problem)."

Distasio was commenting after Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. released its latest annual rental market report for Manitoba. It found Winnipeg's apartment vacancy rate has fallen to one per cent from 1.5 per cent a year ago, which is the lowest it's been since CMHC began tracking vacancy rates in 1988.

And that's the overall rate for the city. In the eight suburban zones it's even less -- 0.7 per cent. In some parts, such as the Assiniboine Park area, it's as low as 0.1 per cent.

And in the northern Manitoba city of Thompson, it's zero -- no vacancies.

The survey also found that in addition to tighter rates, Manitoba renters were also hit with higher rents in 2008. CMHC said the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Winnipeg climbed to $769 a month from $740 a year ago, and for all the major urban centres combined it increased by $27 to $748 a month.

The housing agency blamed the declining vacancy rates -- they've been at or below 1.5 per cent for seven of the last eight years -- on an influx of new immigrants into the province in recent years.

"And certainly the demand side of the equation is not going anywhere but up," said Jeff Powell of CMHC. He noted the Manitoba government sponsored 11,000 new immigrants this year and intends to increase that number to 20,000 a year by 2016.

So how bad have things become for some renters?

University of Manitoba Students Union president Jonnie Sopotiuk said he met one student last week who has been looking for an apartment for five months. During that time, he came across only 13 vacancies and all of them were either taken when he called, or the rent was more than he could afford.

"And we've seen that with tons and tons of students that come through our doors," Sopotiuk said. "It's not unusual at all."

Manitoba Society of Seniors president Harry Paine has even heard of some seniors who have been looking for a year or more, without success.

Over at Welcome Place, a non-profit agency that helps federally sponsored refugees get settled, it's become a constant struggle to find decent, affordable housing for its clients.

Hani Al-Ubeady, the agency's housing counsellor, said Welcome Place has been forced to put some clients in houses or apartments "that weren't even suitable for animals" because there was no place else to go.

In other cases, such as the Obeing family from Sudan, it was able to find them a decent, four-bedroom apartment on Spence Street. But the monthly rent of $1,300 is $328 more than the federal housing allowance they receive, so the family of nine has had to make up the difference from their food allowance and scrimping anywhere they can.

Al-Ubeady and Distasio, who both used the word "crisis" to describe the situation, said the obvious solution is to build more rental units. But how do you get developers to do that?

Powell said there have been 2,933 new rental-housing starts in the Winnipeg area in the last five years. While that's a huge improvement from the previous 15 years, when there were none, it's still nowhere near enough given population growth and the loss of rental units to condominium conversions and properties being condemned or otherwise removed from the market.

Developers and groups like the Professional Property Managers Association of Manitoba say the best way to spur development is to do away with provincial rent controls, which limit how much landlords can raise rents each year.

This year's guideline was two per cent and PPMA officials say decades of controls have kept rents for existing properties artificially low.

And since most renters are reluctant to pay the higher rents developers have to charge to cover the cost of building new, few new ones are being built.

Distasio and developer Marlene Spletzer of Crystal Properties Ltd. said the federal and provincial governments need to offer more subsidies to developers to help offset construction costs and keep rents down.

Distasio said governments also need to encourage more innovative approaches, including more mixed-use developments that include low, middle and high-end units.

Spletzer said she'd also like to see the city streamline its approval process to make it faster and easier to get developments approved.

St. James Coun. Scott Fielding, chairman of the property and development committee, agrees civic politicians must go out of their way to approve new residential apartment projects.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:35 AM
Capitalist

Lets hope we see a few new highrise towers.... come from this.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 7:34 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
And in the northern Manitoba city of Thompson, it's zero -- no vacancies.
I think its more like in the negatives lol.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 3:22 PM

As stated by Jasonhouse, "Ok... Apparently you didn't catch on to the fact that I was joking, hence the smilies and reference to myself as 'Killjoy'. I thought it was pretty obvious, as did basically everyone else not from Winnipeg. (did you see BNK's massive rant? That was priceless!)

You do realize the entire thread is a spoof, and is viewed as a joke by everyone, right? By even pretending to take it seriously, you Winnipeg folks are making the joke 2x funnier."

And all this time I thought we were winning because Winnipeg is the envy of the world. Just imagine if Winnipeg was the cultural and economic capital of Canada instead of Toronto. "Centre of the Universe" would just not do us justice.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 9:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I think its more like in the negatives lol.
Of course Manitoba is hampered by the ridiculous rent control policy. It does more harm than good.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 10:04 PM

I wasn't really aware of rent controls until recently. Why does it (and tuition freeze) still exist? It's just making us cheaper people as a whole, and giving us poorer facilities. This is why we can't have nice things.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 12:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Of course Manitoba is hampered by the ridiculous rent control policy. It does more harm than good.
newflyer the problem with thompson is the mine own all the land around the town so it has no room to expand

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 6:37 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Did you not read the article posted? Or let me guess, you were too busy reading Economics 101 textbooks? Rent control is not the problem, but a lack of federal and provincial subsidies.

And of course, there needs to be a whole lot more encouragment.

Seriously though, it is laughable to read educated people bemoaning the shortage of rental units in Manitoba.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:38 AM

Rent control is the problem.

20 years of it.

Becuase rents have been supressed so long the rental market is suppressed.

No wonder no-one can really build new when everyone is renting for 1/2 the price, because of rent controls.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 9:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we also have another variable relatively cheap realistate... that makes for cheap mortgages...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 2:49 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
we also have another variable relatively cheap realistate... that makes for cheap mortgages...
While real estate might be "cheap" in terms of lower prices compared to other cities. It is certainly not "relatively cheap" when you factor in average income.

Jobs in Winnipeg (generally private sector jobs) pay lower than comparable jobs in other cities which makes mortgages more expensive for Winnipeggers.

It would cost my wife and I more to live in Winnipeg with the same house and jobs than it is to currently live in Calgary with a decent size mortgage.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 2:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yes but that also depends on where you live and what you do for work

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 3:03 PM
Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
While real estate might be "cheap" in terms of lower prices compared to other cities. It is certainly not "relatively cheap" when you factor in average income.

Jobs in Winnipeg (generally private sector jobs) pay lower than comparable jobs in other cities which makes mortgages more expensive for Winnipeggers.

It would cost my wife and I more to live in Winnipeg with the same house and jobs than it is to currently live in Calgary with a decent size mortgage.
There is some truth to this. From my experiences, things such as utilities, groceries, car insurance, etc. are not significantly cheaper in Winnipeg than they would be in other jurisdictions. Income taxes are higher, most places have a sales tax so that's a wash.

If you are fortunate enough to make the same wage or something very close in Winnipeg as you would in Calgary or Vancouver, sure, you will be further ahead. If housing in Calgary is 50% higher than Winnipeg and a family spends 30% of their incomes on housing, then as a rough calculation, your family income needs to be 15% higher. For one person, might be a stretch but for dual incomes, maybe not so much.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 3:07 PM
the first stamp is free

1ajs, don't try to bring any reason into this argument. Just accept that all jobs in Calgary pay more, and it doesn't make sense for anyone to leave Calgary to come to Winnipeg. Don't argue...

In other news, the entire city of Winnipeg has emptied out as citizens were just made aware that living in Winnipeg makes absolutely no financial sense, and have since moved to Calgary, where all jobs pay more, and the sidewalks are paved in gold brick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan