HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
It does indeed look small. My beef is not about the space, however, it is about the price. I haven't had to book any hotel room downtown for a long time now but I wonder if you can get a more spacious room for less than $115 (what this host is asking for) a night using Priceline/Hotwire/Trivago/government discount, so on and so forth?

There are also university rez to consider for the summer...The market will ultimately responds, if the price is too high then people will look elsewhere.
This is actually a great deal, when you factor in that you're getting a full kitchen with the unit. Standard hotel rooms are considerably more than $115.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 12:43 AM

No one seems to be taking progress photos of projects anymore. Here are two bad photos of the Slater. It looks good and makes the street feel more complete. I hope the parkade gets developed next.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 7:31 PM

[QUOTE=Urbanarchit;7614661]No one seems to be taking progress photos of projects anymore. Here are two bad photos of the Slater. It looks good and makes the street feel more complete. I hope the parkade gets developed next.

It's pretty sad that they ended up leaving out the one feature (the penthouse balcony frame) that distinguished it a bit from any other bland box you'll find downtown. The street level is quite nice, but still...

Last edited by UrbOttawa; Nov 8, 2016 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 2:44 PM

[QUOTE=RobOttawa;7616570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post

It's pretty sad that they ended up leaving out the one feature (the penthouse balcony frame) that distinguished it a bit from any other bland box you'll find downtown. The street level is quite nice, but still...
Agreed, that's a shame, but is construction fully completed?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOttawa View Post
The street level is quite nice
Disagree

Photo by Darwin from
http://www.westsideaction.com/the-alt-sidewalk-design/

(the City has ordered that... *thing* ... removed, but it's still there)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 11:28 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
I walk by this one often, and have been wondering the same.

On another note...that southwest corner penthouse basks in sunlight from sunrise til sunset, pretty much every clear day, year round. Not much like it right in the middle of the CBD, in that regard.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
I walk by this one often, and have been wondering the same.

On another note...that southwest corner penthouse basks in sunlight from sunrise til sunset, pretty much every clear day, year round. Not much like it right in the middle of the CBD, in that regard.
The condo I was living in until recently was like that - I needed two air handlers to cope with the air conditioning demands.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 4:09 PM

Couldn't you simply install some roll down sun blocking blinds? Or curtains? Seems cheaper and more environmentally conscious than running AC to the max

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 4:22 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Couldn't you simply install some roll down sun blocking blinds? Or curtains? Seems cheaper and more environmentally conscious than running AC to the max
But what if, you know, the occupants want to be able to see outside?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 4:39 PM

Easy enough to use curtains when you're not around and then push them open when you're home.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 4:44 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I thought everyone in their right mind does that.

There are also people who stay in all or most of the day. They don't have much choice

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 12:14 AM

Some blinds are solar screens that offer little to no privacy so must be accompanied by drapes at night, but offer full view of the exterior whilst blocking the extra daylight.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 9:06 PM

Any comments on this building? I'm looking to buy a new condo unit near the LRT and was wondering how owners like to live in it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 8:37 PM

Keep in mind this building is still not registered so you would be paying occupancy fees until they register it. Might be in a month but next month has been going on since last year.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baigle View Post
Keep in mind this building is still not registered so you would be paying occupancy fees until they register it. Might be in a month but next month has been going on since last year.
Gotcha, I forgot that it's a thing in Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:24 PM

you can also call it a "pilot project" if you're not sure you want to commit to amending the bylaw.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:24 PM

So does anyone here live at The Slater and can comment on what it is like?

-e.g. management
-build quality - e.g. are things falling apart in your unit, etc.
-any other issues?

I'm insanely intrigued by the Penthouse 9 unit. Love the layout. But the $900K pricetag is cringeworthy ugh.

I live in a Tribeca condo and I've witnessed firsthand all the issues with condo living...wondering if the Slater is any better.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1337 View Post
So does anyone here live at The Slater and can comment on what it is like?

-e.g. management
-build quality - e.g. are things falling apart in your unit, etc.
-any other issues?

I'm insanely intrigued by the Penthouse 9 unit. Love the layout. But the $900K pricetag is cringeworthy ugh.

I live in a Tribeca condo and I've witnessed firsthand all the issues with condo living...wondering if the Slater is any better.
What are the issues you have had with condo living? I am thinking of dumping my house and going condo in a few years.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 9:35 PM

It looks like the unit has never been sold. I would be pretty reluctant about buying a unit that hasn't sold in two years. It could be really difficult to unload if you change your mind.

Also, it is a matter of personal preference of course, but 900k gets a pretty decent house in central Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
What are the issues you have had with condo living? I am thinking of dumping my house and going condo in a few years.
There is a great chapter in the book "The wealthy Barber" comparing condos to freehold. I will say I have never owned a highrise condo but have owned a three story walk up type condo along with a garden home type condo. There are advantages to condo living and especial if you are older, travel a lot, or just getting into the ownership game but it all depends (IMO) on the board management. You can have boards that take all the fun out of living there or you can have boards that are under financed in regards to reserve funds but you can also have the opposite where it's fun, responsive, and a good balance between what you pay in condo fees and what needs to be done. Main issues I had was being told what I could or could not do in my private spaces, the possibility of a sudden special assessment, and everyone else knowing my business. Condo would suit me once I cannot longer cut the grass or I flew in for a MP meeting a few times a month. Other than that I way prefer freehold and managing and/or paying my own bills.

On another note... always ignore what a builder quotes as condo fees for a new unit because they are always way low on what is actually needed to maintain the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa