HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 5:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

Will the building be built over the tracks?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 5:55 AM
Registered

^ Basically, yes, although it is mostly the plaza that will sit above the tracks.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 3:21 PM
The City

On a side note, does it not seem as though a lot of Metra tracks are being covered/exposed during this boom? Seems as if this is diminishing the views of the city from the trains.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 4:48 PM

More soil samples week of Mar 10

There was a rig over by the river, not more than a few feet from that Prairie-style railroad building. It was gone yesterday, Mar. 17.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:01 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
On a side note, does it not seem as though a lot of Metra tracks are being covered/exposed during this boom? Seems as if this is diminishing the views of the city from the trains.
Do people stop taking NJTransit or LIRR because they enter Manhattan through tunnels? I seriously don't think anybody rides Metra for views.

Besides, skyline views on Metra aren't that great. The train is usually pointed at or away from downtown, but the only windows look out to the sides. It's like trying to watch the road ahead from the back seat of a bus - doesn't work very well.

Also - 444 West Lake is covering Metra tracks, and a parking deck is being built 2 blocks west at the Jewel. AFAIK, these are the only developments to cover tracks. Nobody's talked seriously about covering up the tracks next to One Museum Park, and development rumors for the parcel just south of 444 West Lake are just that - rumors.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:52 AM
Registered

^ Well, Trump and 300 LaSalle vaguely count. But yeah, I agree.

What we have had, however, is a lot of development that completes the urban texture in a similar fashion as air rights. I would say that Hyatt, 1 South Wacker, 111 South Wacker, Waterview, and Lake Shore East are doing similar things to "patch holes" in the fabric.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 4:12 PM

looks like this one is getting built:

Wm. Blair Signs 340,000-SF Lease for Tower

CHICAGO-William Blair & Co., a Chicago investment firm, has signed a lease to be the anchor tenant of a planned 1.1-million-sf office tower at 200 N. Riverside Plaza, called River Point. The tower is being developed by a joint venture between Hines, headquartered in Houston, and Chicago food service entrepreneur Larry Levy. The estimated cost for the project is close to $500 million, says Greg Van Schaack, SVP at Hines regional office here.

http://www.globest.com/news/1119_111.../169266-1.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Wm. Blair Signs 340,000-SF Lease for Tower
http://www.globest.com/news/1119_111.../169266-1.html
Quote:
The firm will occupy three-and-a-half floors of the low-rise portion of the 52-story building and 10 high-rise floors.
What low-rise portion? Is there office space in the separate hotel building?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 5:21 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^Low rise is the area served by the first bank of elevators. Basically, the bottom 1/3 of the building, with mid-rise and high-rise being the middle and top thirds respectively. Each section has a different bank of elevators serving it. So, anyone going from the low-rise to the high-rise section probably has to go to the lobby and transfer to the other bank to get there rather than take one elevator trip.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 5:27 PM

Ah, thanks. And welcome back!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 2:29 AM
Chicago

I noticed a surveying crew was on site today taking measurements.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:21 AM

Hurry up and build it already!!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:37 AM

Is 700' still an estimate ?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I had an unpleasant and disturbing surprise when I checked Hines' website for any updates on River Point. See link below, as they have indeed changed information on the project - it's now listed as a 40-story, 900,000 sf tower. Hopefully this is just some kind of silly mistake by someone in Hines' marketing or website groups or something, and not an actual downsizing of the project based on more conservative underwriting, deteriorating economy and leasing outlook, debt market troubles., etc!! Anybody who close to the developer or city, please, please confirm this updated information on the website is in error!!

http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=1946
Yet the photo still has 52 stories ....

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:22 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I think my concern has completely evaporated. Hines' website now has a press release posted announcing the signed William Blair lease and quoting the 52-story, 1.1 million sq ft figures. Also, CoStar is showing the high-rise portion that Blair leased are floors 37-46. It makes sense to leave the top several floors available for lease to a smaller-to mid-size law firm, private equity shop, hedge fund or other professional services firm that would consider paying around $60 per sq ft, which would be among the highest office rent downtown...(this model is working very well for Hines at 300 N LaSalle)...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:52 PM
live it or leave it.

Lookin' pretty good on this one. Can't wait to see cranes when I look toward the west down the river...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 3:03 AM

Great, my view east view will be completely shot now as this building goes up. Doesn't anybody on this site have views destroyed by these buildings or does everybody here live in a dump?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi49 View Post
Great, my view east view will be completely shot now as this building goes up. Doesn't anybody on this site have views destroyed by these buildings or does everybody here live in a dump?
oh come on!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 3:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi49 View Post
i live in a dump.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 3:54 AM

yea, pretty much a dump, sorry.
"Chicago doesn't need Bryant to feel like a big-time player, just as it doesn't need Donald Trump to build a tower downtown to feel adequate. Nice that Trump's doing it, but when you have the Sears Tower and the Hancock building, you're pretty secure with who you are. And when somebody named Michael Jordan has graced your presence, somebody named Kobe Bryant isn't going to shake your world." Rick Morrissey, 2007

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive