HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 12:30 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I know that ground floor retail is all the rage right now, but I honestly don't think every project needs it. In some cases I'd rather see the first floor used for more living units - especially if there's lots of other retail nearby. We have a housing shortage here and I think it's sometimes more important to have more vacant apartments to lease for people to actually live in than it is to have more retail space to lease just so we can have another day spa/juice bar/nail salon.
Amen.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:38 AM
Honored Member

Ditto on GFR for this location.

Looking at this on Google Maps, I see the Waterloo Ice House, which I presume would be demolished, and Rockwood Apartments, but no ID on the building between these on Rockwood, which I also presume will go. Anyone know exactly what will be replaced by this?

Burnet needs density desperately, and the surrounding neighborhoods need to wake up and smell the beauty of living in a city instead of dreaming that this is still a sleepy little college town. There is a phenomenal amount of underutilized land on Burnet, and much of it is south of Anderson Ln. The trend looks positive so far with what has happened south of Koenig, and that needs to spread like wildfire to the north. I have a close friend who lives on Justin Lane, and she opposes VMUs in that area, simply on the basis that she's not accustomed to it and doesn't want change. Bless her heart (he said in that smarmy, backhanded Southern way.)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 4:09 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Ditto on GFR for this location.

Looking at this on Google Maps, I see the Waterloo Ice House, which I presume would be demolished, and Rockwood Apartments, but no ID on the building between these on Rockwood, which I also presume will go. Anyone know exactly what will be replaced by this?

Burnet needs density desperately, and the surrounding neighborhoods need to wake up and smell the beauty of living in a city instead of dreaming that this is still a sleepy little college town. There is a phenomenal amount of underutilized land on Burnet, and much of it is south of Anderson Ln. The trend looks positive so far with what has happened south of Koenig, and that needs to spread like wildfire to the north. I have a close friend who lives on Justin Lane, and she opposes VMUs in that area, simply on the basis that she's not accustomed to it and doesn't want change. Bless her heart (he said in that smarmy, backhanded Southern way.)
FYI, the development appears to be an L-shaped parcel, which would leave both Waterloo and the neighboring building untouched. In effect, the complex would "wrap around" the intersection of Burnet and Rockwood.

That said, the neighborhoods are involved, so this project is slogging through the approval process: http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/c...o-face-delays/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 4:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
FYI, the development appears to be an L-shaped parcel, which would leave both Waterloo and the neighboring building untouched. In effect, the complex would "wrap around" the intersection of Burnet and Rockwood.

That said, the neighborhoods are involved, so this project is slogging through the approval process: http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/c...o-face-delays/
Like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kFyc1SOGTRGA

See the shape I have of the development.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Mikey711MN, that article is from a couple of weeks ago.

Most of the below article is behind the paywall, but it passed 7-4.

Austin City Council OKs contentious apartment project on Burnet Road
April 23, 2015

Quote:
One of the first zoning cases handled by the new Austin City Council has finally come to an end, after a failed last-ditch attempt to hit the brakes.

The council, in its third time hearing the case, gave final approval Thursday for the highest-density multi-family zoning that will allow a developer to build up to 300 high-end apartments along fast-changing Burnet Road near U.S. 183. The property is currently occupied by Gordon Automotive.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:03 PM

Quote:
FYI, the development appears to be an L-shaped parcel, which would leave both Waterloo and the neighboring building untouched.
Right, exactly like I said before.

wwmiv , I believe the frontage on Burnet is actually narrower than you have pictured, if you look at the actual lots on TravisCad. I believe it's the combination of the Gordon and Crump lots (and that driveway for the Woodchase apartments will be staying).

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 7:47 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Sorry, guys...I didn't realize that the parcel was described up-thread!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Right, exactly like I said before.

wwmiv , I believe the frontage on Burnet is actually narrower than you have pictured, if you look at the actual lots on TravisCad. I believe it's the combination of the Gordon and Crump lots (and that driveway for the Woodchase apartments will be staying).
Fixed.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 5:22 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kFyc1SOGTRGA

See the shape I have of the development.
Thanks. To me, this is an unfortunate way for that corner to develop. It's awkward and haphazard, leaving a pair of small isolated buildings right at the corner, each with its own parking lot, when it would be so much nicer if the entire corner could be redeveloped with VMU. But acceptance of reality is a fundamental key to peace and contentment, so I shall endeavor to desist from wishing that things were different.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:52 PM

Truly walkable neighborhood retail can do a lot for reducing traffic burden, and as a widely implemented concept it can make a huge cumulative impact. Maybe I'm using the wrong term: I'm talking about the small grocer, coffee, etc. type of businesses. Not the type of retail that would sit in a strip mall or need visibility from Burnet. If you've heard the term hyperlocal (no joke) as a concept rather than just local. Close enough to be immediately meaningful to a person.

On the weekends I don't need to drive from my building since it has a place to grab groceries, snacks, consume libations, and socialize with neighbors. I'm sure this helps reduce vehicular traffic in the area.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 3:32 PM

I've been meaning to take some pics but I believe the new hotel in the Domain is topped out. Maybe 8 stories? Also the office building next to HomeAway and Whole Foods is coming along. The whole area is under construction.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 4:29 AM

Does anyone know when 6444 burnet is gonna break ground? I'm also verrrry curious about the retail at the base of burnet marketplace That'll be a nice lil dense area in about 2 years.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 5:54 PM

IBM campus across from the domain re-developing. Hopefully they get rid of some of those surface parking lots.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...-use-pr/nnCdL/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:08 AM
World Traveler

Amazon snags big office space in North Austin

Quote:
Somehow in all the buzz about Internet retailer Amazon.com Inc. building a huge distribution facility in San Marcos, there was little mention of the company quietly occupying a big chunk of office space in North Austin.
Specifically, Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) has grabbed 76,000 square feet at Domain 7.
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...rthaustin.html

News to me - pretty cool.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
IBM campus across from the domain re-developing. Hopefully they get rid of some of those surface parking lots.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...-use-pr/nnCdL/
From a friend who works there, IBM is only vacating one of the buildings. This is largely a promo piece for the firm remodeling and leasing the vacated property.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 1:03 AM

Big Red Dog Enginnering is stating that Domain 8 broke ground in August.

A quote from what they stated.

Quote:
BIG RED DOG is working with Endeavor Real Estate Group and Nelsen Partners on the Domain 8 project, located at 11601 Alterra Parkway in north Austin. The office building will stand 12 stories tall and contain nearly 300,000 square feet.

This project broke ground in August 2015. Keep checking Facebook and the BIG RED Blog for updates on this exciting project!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BIG-R...9927146?__nodl

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 1:07 AM

Streetview has Domain updates as recently as July. The construction progress is amazing.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Streetview has Domain updates as recently as July. The construction progress is amazing.
It sure is.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 2:09 AM

I don't know if we covered this before, but the site plan shows this as 11-stories and ~167'. The elevations are on pages 37-39:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11223623

From the site plan:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 6:04 AM
World Traveler

Outside of IBM, what is the tallest in this area of town?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin