HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Sacramento wont be in any phase......

The only regions that will benefit are Los Angeles the bay area, Merced, Fresno and Bakersfield; (maybe Stockton)

Representatives from ACE (Altamont Commuter Express) rencently made a public presentation to the Sacramento City Council and they're proposing to run trains a couple of times a day between Sacramento down to Stockton or Merced wherever High Speed Rail ends before branching to the bay area.

Or that's their proposal. That will be Sacramento's connection to High Speed Rail..

http://sacramento.granicus.com/Media...8&clip_id=1474
(the presentation was on 2/5/08 at about 3:00 p.m.)
I think this is UNTIL HSR is extended to Sacramento and not INSTEAD OF extending it to here. It is unacceptable for this project to benefit places like Merced, Fresno, and Bakersfield and leave out Sacramento entirely!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 5:18 PM
Hindrance to Development

More commuter trains between Sacramento and Stockton (in addition to Amtrak's San Joaquins) would at least allow that connection, in addition to allowing a commuter connection between Sacramento an Stockton.

Although what's kinda interesting is that there is an unused rail alignment, belonging to Central California Traction, between Sacramento and Stockton. CCT has retained the option to re-activate that trackage...hmmm.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Although what's kinda interesting is that there is an unused rail alignment, belonging to Central California Traction, between Sacramento and Stockton. CCT has retained the option to re-activate that trackage...hmmm.
I've always been interested in this alignment-I remember seeing the CCT trains with their red cabooses up until their last runs in 1998 (the segment between Lodi and Stockton is still quite active, however). This track was also an interurban commuter line up until I think the 1930s. I didn't know CCT still owned this alignment with the option to re-activate. Perhaps this alignment will come in handy again as we're weened off oil and automobiles in the coming decades.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hindrance to Development

Indeed, the last CCT interurban passenger train was in 1933. The problem was that there weren't many commuters between Sacramento and Stockton, and SP already had passenger service, so it never did very well. The main problem is that they would no longer be able to run up 21st Avenue and then Stockton Boulevard, and thus would have to switch to the old SP main at Polk.

I watched the council session, I kind of like the idea of an ACE style trainset running back and forth between Sacramento and Stockton...places in between like Lodi, Elk Grove and Galt would be wise to get themselves positioned for stations! EG may not have wanted Light Rail, but commuter service via the heavy-rail line could be another story.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 12:54 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
I think this is UNTIL HSR is extended to Sacramento and not INSTEAD OF extending it to here. It is unacceptable for this project to benefit places like Merced, Fresno, and Bakersfield and leave out Sacramento entirely!

Yeah because the intial segment is going to be such an overwhelming success by coming in on budget, that the rest of the state is going to say 'we just have to extend it to Sacramento'

You'll never see HSR in Sacramento, but if you truly believe that the benefits for the rest of the state are worth the costs then I can respect that (even if i don't agree with the logic). But there's no chance High Speed Rail will ever roll into Sacramento and nobody will ever convince me that it will. Metropolitan Sacramento already gets shafted for state transportation funds and receives about 1/6 of the funding the bay area does.

In any case you probably wont be the only person in Sacramento that votes for it. I'm beginning to suspect that voters in Sacramento will vote overwhelmingly for it. They wont vote to spend money on an arena and perfroming arts venues that enhance this region; but they wont mind spending our money on a multibillion dollar train sysytem that we will never see locally.

I'll be returning to the Alamo City at the end of January 2025. I'm thrilled to be returning to the most beautiful city in Texas.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 4:20 AM
Closed account

^
I think your wrong. The Capital of California will have high speed rail. Many lobbyists, Special interests, attorneys, government employees and officials commute to Sacramento all the time. There is no way Sacramento, being the capital will be left out.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 3:32 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
^The Capital of California will have high speed rail. Many lobbyists, Special interests, attorneys, government employees and officials commute to Sacramento all the time. There is no way Sacramento, being the capital will be left out.

I hate to break it to you but as proposed Sacramento will not have high speed rail unless and until enough revenue is raised from fares to pay for an extension to San Diego (which would be first up for an extension given its proximity to LA and second city status) and then hopefully someday Sacramento. But if anyone thinks that enough revenue will be raised from fares to pay off the debt, they need to get their head out of the clouds because HSR will cost three to four times more than they're projecting.

Do you think voters in LA and the bay area are going to approve a second bond for billions more at a later date just so Sacramento can connect to HSR????

The proposed Assemby bill will simply allow communities to "compete" to see which communites receive funding first. (Translation: exactly as proposed the north south LA to SF segment). Last time i checked competition for state transportation revenue doesn't work out too well for the Sacramento region. Sacramento routinely receives a vastly disproportionate share respective the population of the region.

But no worries; your hopes and dreams of a sleek high speed rail train gliding into a new multimodal station wont be an immediate let down. More than likely it will be a long, slow and painful realization over the next 25 to 30 years that maybe voters in Sacramento who voted in favor of high speed did so with their faces pressed to the window of the candy store, won over by sleek renderings showing a gleaming downtown and waterfront..

But in the end Sacramento will get stuck with the bill and will have nothing to show for it except for an ACE connection to Stockton or Merced, (if we're we'll lucky.)

I'll be returning to the Alamo City at the end of January 2025. I'm thrilled to be returning to the most beautiful city in Texas.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Mar 25, 2008 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 5:36 PM

Don't worry, if HSR is passed I'll be suing the state of California keeping it locked up in court for the next 20-30 years costing the state trillions of dollars. If the Sacramento section isn't going to be built in the first phase I will make sure the entire California economy goes down in flames.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:44 AM
Closed account

^
I am not worried about it, I just think Urban's thesis statement is bogus, but he is right about the length of time (25 to 30 years) to really know what will happen, and therefore not really worth debating...

Last edited by econgrad; Mar 25, 2008 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:19 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
^
I am not worried about it, I just think Urban's thesis statement is bogus, but he is right about the length of time (25 to 30 years) to really know what will happen, and therefore not really worth debating...

which part is bogus (please enlighten me)

Fact

Sacramento is not included in the intial proposal (and neither is San Diego)

Fact

Fares raised from the intial system will be used to build spurs to San Diego and Sacramento

Fact

Assembly Bill 3034 wont change that

From the Sacramento Bee..

AB 3034 would also eliminate a requirement to complete the segment between San Francisco and Los Angeles first. Instead, the bill would allow various regions to compete for funding.

(in much the same way cities now compete for state transportation dollars and if you've even once paid attention to that you will know that Sacramento receives a vastly disproportionate share of transportation fuding.)

The article goes on to say $9 billion would be used mainly on construction, and the other $950 million would be made available to improve regional transportation systems, such as the Bay Area Regional Transit.

Most of the system route has been set. The authority has yet to give final approval on a route between the Bay Area into the Central Valley.

(How can the sytem route be set if they're going have cities compete for funding? Because again Sacramento is not in the intial proposal)

The only question is whether the route will end in Merced or come as far north as Stockton.

Nearly another billion dollars will be spent in SF and LA on new stations (like the new Transbay Terminal), while Sacramento sits for decades and watches (not as a participant but a spectator)

Fact

There is no chance this comes in on budget. None, zero, zilch, nadda.

Look at the Bay Bridge origionally estimated cost $1.2 billion in 1997 and the price had risen to $5.1 billion in 2004

Boston's Big Dig was estimated at $2.8 billion in 1985 but as of 2006 that had risen to $14.6 billion.

There's no chance this will be built on budget given the costs of construction, the environmental challenges that will arise and just the fact that it will be an enormous public works project.

Probability

When the intial system comes in billions of $$$ over budget the proponents of high speed rail will move alleviate public concern for cost overruns by proposing to divert all available revenue from fares (once its up and running) to pay off the enormous bond service and debt (which will take decades to pay off).

(Remember the tolls on the Golden Gate were supposed to be temporary but are permanent just to pay for the upkeep)

Do you honestly believe that voters in LA and SF will suddenly clamor to have connections to Sacramento or that supporters can return to the voters and ask for a second bond to cover cost overruns?

Like i said to neuhickman, if you honestly believe the costs are worth it to establish a HSR sysytem between LA and SF with the line ending in Merced or Stockton, so be it. I can certainly respect that.

But the facts are stacked so high against the chances of Sacramento ever seeing high speed rail that I would question anybody's reasoning and logic for believing that Sacramento can't be blown off by the state simply because it's the Capital. I mean that kind of 5th grade logic is comical.

The money spent for HSR would be better spent enhancing rail locally and regionally.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Mar 25, 2008 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 6:53 PM

Thats why I plan bankrupt California if this thing is approved as planned.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:47 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Thats why I plan bankrupt California if this thing is approved as planned.
I'm not sure if you've begun to implement your devious plan, but it's working already.

Last edited by TowerDistrict; Mar 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 9:17 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:43 AM
Closed account

Urban: It's not 5th grade logic. You also sound very bitter about HSR? I am not convinced by your assumptions.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 2:23 AM
Kodachrome

There is no way Sacramento will get HSR unless it's in the first phase... and
it's not. History has not been kind to Sac in this way econgrad, please show
me a time in history when Sac has not received the short end of stick when
other big cities are involved? The Bay Bridge and Big Dig are two reasons
why a second phase will never come to pass with HSR, it will become
to costly... and do you think the Bay Area and LA will vote for a
second bond just so it links up to Sacramento? No way, once they
get theirs, phase two will be just a memory.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 2:57 AM
Closed account

^
That seems just speculation right now (Well, I hope you guys are wrong, it would be very sad for HSR). Although I understand both of your "Big Dig" points, the Big Dig Disaster does not really apply here. Can you find some successful large projects in the USA that have been completed on time and in budget? Yes, I am sure we all can.

More and more people are moving towards believing in HSR, a couple of years ago very few knew or cared. Time will tell...

FYI: I am using your picture of the Capital at night as my desktop wallpaper, its a great picture. Thanks Innov8!

Last edited by econgrad; Mar 26, 2008 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:23 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Urban: It's not 5th grade logic. You also sound very bitter about HSR? I am not convinced by your assumptions.

You haven't even read the proposal or you would know that they're not my assumptions, they're the facts.

They only assumption I'm mkaing is that they will divert revenue rasied from fares from the intial system to pay off the bond debt..

And if you know anything about public works projects or have been paying attention to the costs of construction, you would realize that its not that big of a leap.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 9:57 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
You haven't even read the proposal or you would know that they're not my assumptions, they're the facts.

They only assumption I'm mkaing is that they will divert revenue rasied from fares from the intial system to pay off the bond debt..

And if you know anything about public works projects or have been paying attention to the costs of construction, you would realize that its not that big of a leap.
No I didn't read the "proposal" but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...oh, and I watched this video which says the rail line goes to Sacramento.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD1QGNsRg74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZBos3DhZs

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:04 PM
Repeat!

San Diego is getting the short end of the stick as well. Flying will definitely be more convenient than taking the coaster to LA, LA to wherever HSR ends up in the valley, then a bus to Sac and vice versa. The only reasons why someone would go through that is for the nifty feeling of riding HSR or if they have environmental concerns. With the amount of development still going on here land is definitely going to be a major cost increase. I still think it would be better to connect the Bay Area and Sac along with LA and SD first partially for that reason.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:37 PM
my posse's on broadway

The best reason to ride a train, is that train stations are often located in the center of the city, or at least nearby. You hop off the train and you're there. Unlike airports where you get off the plane and you've got to drive or ride 5-30 miles to get where you're going. Sacramento's Intermodal location, versus Sac International's location is a great example. And just look at the amount of money it costs to link SMF to downtown by light rail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area