HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064 View Post
Question for Steel or Westcoast - or anyone who may help me understand......

So i was looking at photos of the Central Terminal. The grand interior lobby is being used for such things as the beer festival and other gatherings. There seems to be so much love and interest to preserve this landmakr building and that is great. Exterior and interior shots of the building show some massive decay and it will soon become too late to restore - if it isn't already.

My question is: With the recent demand for quality condos downtown and condos with views - why is the Central terminal not a hot bed idea for residential conversion? I would bet that 2 hours following any announced proposal for any sort of residential conversion - it would be 80% pre-leased.

Any ideas why this treasure is allowed to sit and decay?
Well, not a lot of people will want to pay $2,000 a month to live in the heart of the worst part of buffalo. If CT was anywhere else it wouldn't be in the situation it is in now.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinbflo View Post
Well, not a lot of people will want to pay $2,000 a month to live in the heart of the worst part of buffalo. If CT was anywhere else it wouldn't be in the situation it is in now.
Ok - so what about a GRANDER PLAN - to make it affordable "market rate" apartments to try and create a ripple effect of rebirth on the east side?

I know- I know - I may be talking out my ass - but there has to be something that can be done with it. The East side is Buffalo's worst section - so why not start a rebirth of the area by saving and refurbing the areas greatest asset? It would offer affordable living with downtown views in a centralized location.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 9:35 PM

Petty much anything can be restored if money can be found- whether it can pencil out without MASSIVE subsidies is another matter. Believe is right- it would be a tough sell for market-rate units in that area of the city. However, if there is going to be ArtSpace II, they really need to look at the CT. The other use that usually brings government $$ to the table is senior housing. But it'll be multiple uses to fill up the terminal. And retail isn't likely to be one of them, so that's one less option. I say artist studios/lofts, senior apartments, back-office space, light manufacturing, and banquets/exhibition space for the concourse/waiting area.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 3:06 AM

GREAT NEWS FOR THE AIRPORT!

FOCUS: BUFFALO AIRPORT

5 millionth passenger makes airport's year
By MARK SOMMER

News Staff Reporter
12/28/2006

The busy holiday travel season pushed Buffalo Niagara International Airport over the 5 million passenger milestone.

Buffalo Niagara International Airport passed a milestone Wednesday when its 5 millionth passenger of the year walked through the terminal.
In a community often noted for its failures - a bridge that can't get built, a waterfront not developed, silver-bullet development schemes that shoot blanks - that milestone marked a significant success story.

It wasn't long ago that the new Buffalo terminal, which opened on Nov. 3, 1997, wasn't projected to attract 5 million passengers a year until 2020.

"We often talk as a community about the things we do wrong. The airport and the airport service objectives everyone wanted 10-plus years ago is one of the things we've done right," said Andrew J. Rudnick, president of the Buffalo Niagara Partnership.

"We have a gateway facility, we have low-cost carriers, and we have a very accessible location. The combination of the three is an enormous competitive advantage for our marketplace," he said.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., whose efforts to bring JetBlue to Buffalo in 2001 helped create the conditions for Southwest and other low-fare airlines to follow, rejoiced over the airport's success.

"This is one of the great success stories of Western New York. It shows you that when industries and companies give Western New York a chance, they'll do better than they ever thought," Schumer said. "Let's hope it's a metaphor for the future."

The economic benefits of the airport are considerable. The facility generates an annual regional economic impact of $916.9 million and supports 17,500 jobs, according to a study by the state Department of Transportation. Beginning with the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority's initial $55 million investment, it has spent $371 million to build the new terminal, expand two concourses, make major runway improvements and expand parking capacity.

The former Greater Buffalo International Airport, which had two outdated terminal buildings for decades, officially reopened as Buffalo Niagara International Airport in 1997.

The business model laid out by planners in 1999 estimated up to 3.8 million passengers using the airport annually. But that was before a succession of low-cost airlines helped turn things around.

Schumer made the problem of exorbitant airline costs hurting Western New York businesses a campaign issue when he ran for office in 1998. Two years later, he announced a deal with JetBlue, in which the airline would acquire more takeoff and landing slots at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City in return for servicing upstate, including Buffalo.

Late NFTA Chairman Luiz Kahl also played a leading role, prompting JetBlue to name a plane for him.

The changes have made the airport go from the nation's second-most-expensive to use in 1996 to the 71st in 2005, according to a U.S. Department of Transportation study.

The airport has repeatedly drawn praise from local companies and financial institutions that rely on it for extensive traveling.

Jordan Levy, a partner with Softbank Capital, said the number of airlines flying in and out of Buffalo has had a "huge impact" on his business.

"Buffalo has now become an inexpensive place with which to commute and conduct business around the country," Levy said. "I travel every week, and so do most of the people in the firm. The bottom line is that it has allowed us to stay in Buffalo."

Ronald J. Watson of Amherst-based R.J. Watson, which manufactures components for bridges, praised the airport's appearance - it was designed by William Pedersen of Kohn Pedersen Fox - when it opened. But he also complained at the time that the dearth of low-cost fares still made it too costly for him to fly out of Buffalo.

Watson said he would drive as far as Cleveland to get lower air fares. Now those days are long over. "It has saved my business a lot of time and a lot of money," Watson said Wednesday.

The welcome Bryan and Heidi Donovan of Pensacola, Fla., and their two children received from airport officials on Wednesday was a surprise. After being told they were the passengers who put the terminal past the 5 million-passenger milestone, the family was given gifts that included tickets to events and two round-trip tickets to any city.

Bryan Donovan, who is an instructor and pilot for the Marine Corps, grew up in Elma and graduated from the University at Buffalo.

"You usually complain about getting stuck in the back of the plane, but I guess it paid off today," he said.

Lawrence Meckler, the NFTA's executive director, said the NFTA would not be resting on its laurels despite the airport's success.

"Ten years ago, we had less than 3 million passengers [a year] that went through the airport. You had split terminals and it was very difficult to function. Now we're close to doubling the number of passengers with essentially a stagnant population and stagnant economy," Meckler said. "We are going to continue to talk to airlines to get more direct flights, more low-cost service."

e-mail: msommer@buffnews.com

Copyright © 1999 - 2006 The Buffalo News™

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 3:44 AM
seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
50 Court Street website:

http://www.50court.com
I noticed they're marketing it as "50 Court"...

They should pronounce it "fitty court" just like 50 Cent and get the hip hop crowd involved.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
I noticed they're marketing it as "50 Court"...

They should pronounce it "fitty court" just like 50 Cent and get the hip hop crowd involved.

and just like "fitty", it's to goddamn short!

Quote:
Ok - so what about a GRANDER PLAN - to make it affordable "market rate" apartments to try and create a ripple effect of rebirth on the east side?

I know- I know - I may be talking out my ass - but there has to be something that can be done with it. The East side is Buffalo's worst section - so why not start a rebirth of the area by saving and refurbing the areas greatest asset? It would offer affordable living with downtown views in a centralized location.
It would just cost to much for "market rate" or any subsidized housing. My dream has always been to take it down piece by piece, and relocate it downtown just north of The Electric Building. To bad the Seneca's didn't consider using it, but isn't the area bad enough. My sister used to live right there at Bailey and Jewett. JESUS~H~CHRIST! It's like fuckin Baghdad down there.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 1:56 AM
try being in the Buff

I think Buffalo Niagara Intl. should be embarrassed that they are only serving 5 Mil. That is a very low number especially with a world class tourist destination practically at its door step. If they were doing their job right NFTA would have direct flights to India through BUF. HAve you seen how many Indian [from India] people are there in summer?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 3:22 AM
welcome to the madness

^^^The Buffalo Airport will never be anything more than a place for commuters and and a place to connect to another airport. The main reason is that that the airport is pretty boxed in and the runway is pretty short--you can't land larger aircraft there. Expanding the runway would require expensive options like reconstruction of the Thruway underneath a runway extension or a massive land grab.

Niagara Falls is not much better as an option. Although the runway is the 2nd longest in the entire state, it lacks good transportation connections and space for an international terminal. Now I know much of this could be rectified with some hefty dollars but this will never happen.

Considering that just 10 years ago there were less than 3 million people flying into Buffalo's split personality cement bunker of an airport and also considering that Buffalo has managed to steal a lot of casual travelers from Rochester Int'l because of lower fares--I'd say they've done very well. Could even more be done? Absolutely, but if we look back to where've come from it's pretty amazing.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:35 AM

True, Niagara Falls is a Major tourist attraction. However, as far as The Planet Earth, in it's entirety is concerned, The Falls, and Buffalo, are just parts of The Greater Toronto Area. Do you have any Ideal how many people from India live in Toronto? TO has been a major destination for people from India for many years now. BNF is a stop they make while visiting. I know a women of Indian decent here in Indiana. She moved to Toronto first, before coming to The US.

With TO, and to a lesser extent, Rochester just up the road, 5 Mil in traffic is indeed impressive. With new leadership happening, and thus, new ideals, expect better things for the Airport as BNF continues to claim a bigger piece of the pie.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 3:24 PM
Trendy.

Flights to India!?! Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Buffalo should be extremely greatful it has 5 million people that pass through the airport.

Hell, it'd probably be about 3 million if it weren't for Canada, Rochester, and the fact that we are served by Southwest.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Last edited by Sulley; Dec 31, 2006 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 4:04 PM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

The success of BNIA is very similar to the successes and rapid expansions that Manchester (NH) and TF Green (Providence) airports are experiencing due to spinoff from Boston. Logan Int'l is not a very convenient place to fly out of, and it's earning a bad reputation from all the security screw ups which plague it. I don't know how it stacks up against CYYZ in cost (world's most expensive, I've heard?), but I'm sure it's also more expensive.

They're more-or-less "convenience" or "reliever" destinations cashing in on the expense and overcrowding of the major regional airports. Face it, in and of themselves, Buffalo, Manchester, and Providence aren't exactly what you'd consider a "tourist destination", nor will they ever be "hubs" thanks to relative geography and population distribution. Expect to see Hamilton, ON start cashing in on this trend in the near future, if in fact they haven't already.

Even by Buffalo standards, this would be a pretty tough one to blow.

Last edited by Sgt. Sabre; Dec 31, 2006 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:46 PM
seriously

Gates Circle Condos

"...Uniland initially expected to have a design ready by now, but should have something to show the public in the first few months of 2007, said Michael Montante, vice president."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...31/1056947.asp

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:53 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Sabre View Post
The success of BNIA is very similar to the successes and rapid expansions that Manchester (NH) and TF Green (Providence) airports are experiencing due to spinoff from Boston. Logan Int'l is not a very convenient place to fly out of, and it's earning a bad reputation from all the security screw ups which plague it. I don't know how it stacks up against CYYZ in cost (world's most expensive, I've heard?), but I'm sure it's also more expensive.

They're more-or-less "convenience" or "reliever" destinations cashing in on the expense and overcrowding of the major regional airports. Face it, in and of themselves, Buffalo, Manchester, and Providence aren't exactly what you'd consider a "tourist destination", nor will they ever be "hubs" thanks to relative geography and population distribution. Expect to see Hamilton, ON start cashing in on this trend in the near future, if in fact they haven't already.

Even by Buffalo standards, this would be a pretty tough one to blow.
Exactly. What do all three airports (Buffalo, Manchester, and Providence) have in common? They've all experienced the "Southwest effect." BNIA gets many passengers from higher fare airports in the Golden Horseshoe and Rochester, while the two latter airports get the passenger spillover from Boston.

If my memory serves me correctly, Buffalo once had some of the highest airfares in the entire nation until Southwest came in 10 years ago. Now look at how things have turned out... BNIA should be greatful to SWA.

CYHM has started cashing in on the low fare airline craze with WestJet, but most people still cross the border to get the really good deals and to avoid Canadian taxes on air travel.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 10:18 PM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

Southwest is big out of Manchester. JetBlue hasn't hurt either (Buffalo at least), a similar carrier. Then there was Independence, it's too bad they've bitten the dust.

Evidently Buffalo was #2 most expensive according to that News article. And there are still people who insist it still is. lol. The days when USAir(ways) dominated BNIA's (GBIA at the time) market share and the West Terminal.

Idiots.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 1:32 AM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet View Post
True, Niagara Falls is a Major tourist attraction. However, as far as The Planet Earth, in it's entirety is concerned, The Falls, and Buffalo, are just parts of The Greater Toronto Area. Do you have any Ideal how many people from India live in Toronto? TO has been a major destination for people from India for many years now. BNF is a stop they make while visiting. I know a women of Indian decent here in Indiana. She moved to Toronto first, before coming to The US.

With TO, and to a lesser extent, Rochester just up the road, 5 Mil in traffic is indeed impressive. With new leadership happening, and thus, new ideals, expect better things for the Airport as BNF continues to claim a bigger piece of the pie.
Still Buf should be able to draw at least 3 Mill more than it does. Their marketing and the airlines ,marketing of the routes to Buffalo is weak. A person in my office thought she had to book a flight to NYC to visit the falls! If SW advertised their $150 round trip flights from Chicago to Niagara Falls they could easily quadruple their Buffalo flights. People here and other places just don't know they can get to Niagara Falls so cheaply and easily. Perhaps India is a stretch but certainly they should extend the runways and do some marketing. They could easily add many more direct flights.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Still Buf should be able to draw at least 3 Mill more than it does. Their marketing and the airlines ,marketing of the routes to Buffalo is weak. A person in my office thought she had to book a flight to NYC to visit the falls! If SW advertised their $150 round trip flights from Chicago to Niagara Falls they could easily quadruple their Buffalo flights. People here and other places just don't know they can get to Niagara Falls so cheaply and easily. Perhaps India is a stretch but certainly they should extend the runways and do some marketing. They could easily add many more direct flights.
I feel confident in saying the numbers will only grow as time goes on. You're right, nobody knows you can get to B-lo so cheaply. Put a bug in Mayor Browns ear. That shit will change fast.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:14 PM

Planning board gets look at skyscraper

James FinkBusiness First

City officials Tuesday were given their first glimpse at a proposed 40-story office tower in downtown Buffalo.

Representatives from Cannon Design, the Grand Island firm retained by BSC Development to design the structure, gave members of the Buffalo Planning Board an overview of the $360 million project, which, if constructed, would be the tallest building in the region.

Office tenants are likely to come from places like New York, Toronto and Chicago rather than from the immediate Buffalo Niagara region. Frank Sica, a Cannon vice president, said several top-level hotel and restaurant chains have expressed an interest in the building as have some office tenants.

For the most part, members of the planning board welcomed the concept, although one, Susan Curran Hoyt, questioned whether at 40 stories and nearly 600-feet, if the project could be scaled back by 100 feet.

"It is pretty much out of scale with everything else in the city," Curran Hoyt said.

Warren said BSC Development deliberately wanted the building to make a statement.

"Could it be lower? It could be," he said. "But, one of our goals was to make it the tallest and make it a landmark."

Sica said once Issa and his investors have enough committed interest, the building will take about four years to complete, beginning with the final design until the first tenant moves into the structure.

As for the size and magnitude of the project, another planning board member embraced Issa's vision.

"We can't be a five-story building downtown for the rest of our lives," said Cynthia Schwartz. "We are way behind many of our colleagues."

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Planning board gets look at skyscraper

James FinkBusiness First

City officials Tuesday were given their first glimpse at a proposed 40-story office tower in downtown Buffalo.

Representatives from Cannon Design, the Grand Island firm retained by BSC Development to design the structure, gave members of the Buffalo Planning Board an overview of the $360 million project, which, if constructed, would be the tallest building in the region.

Office tenants are likely to come from places like New York, Toronto and Chicago rather than from the immediate Buffalo Niagara region. Frank Sica, a Cannon vice president, said several top-level hotel and restaurant chains have expressed an interest in the building as have some office tenants.

For the most part, members of the planning board welcomed the concept, although one, Susan Curran Hoyt, questioned whether at 40 stories and nearly 600-feet, if the project could be scaled back by 100 feet.

"It is pretty much out of scale with everything else in the city," Curran Hoyt said.

Warren said BSC Development deliberately wanted the building to make a statement.

"Could it be lower? It could be," he said. "But, one of our goals was to make it the tallest and make it a landmark."

Sica said once Issa and his investors have enough committed interest, the building will take about four years to complete, beginning with the final design until the first tenant moves into the structure.

As for the size and magnitude of the project, another planning board member embraced Issa's vision.

"We can't be a five-story building downtown for the rest of our lives," said Cynthia Schwartz. "We are way behind many of our colleagues."

Oh my God - just slap her now.....

The point is to make an impact that will eventually draw other large scale projects to fill it all in.

Seattle WA is a great examplewhen they built the Columbia Seafirst Tower back in 1985 (I believe). At around 1000 feet it humiliated everything on the Seattle skyline at that point. Now today they have a world-class skyline.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Oh my God - just slap her now.....

The point is to make an impact that will eventually draw other large scale projects to fill it all in.

Seattle WA is a great examplewhen they built the Columbia Seafirst Tower back in 1985 (I believe). At around 1000 feet it humiliated everything on the Seattle skyline at that point. Now today they have a world-class skyline.
Hell yeah, she's nuts! I bet she's getting her ass ripped to sreds all over downtown. Im reminded of the SOUTHWEST AIRLINES commercial "WANT TO GET AWAY"? Somebody put Susan Curran Hoyt on a plane, but make it a ONE WAY TICKET.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:49 PM
seriously

Does anyone have more information on this statement from Buffalo Rising:

"BSC Group (Issa) is funding a master plan of the downtown core, which it is working with the State to complete."

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/ar...wer_update.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations