HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:42 PM

Whose idea was it to name places around Ottawa after some British politician who has never even been to Canada anyway?

I just hope it's not another Kitchi Sibi Point or something

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:52 AM

Disappointing we won't get a LeBreton update. Wonder if they didn't receive any expressions of interests for the SJAM parcels. Maybe the NCC needs to slow down (never thought I'd say that)?

Update on Terrace de la Chaudière might be interesting. 100 Sparks and 30 Metcalfe may be redeveloper, which could be a great opportunity for Sparks. Don't mind seeing 100 Sparks go or reclad, but 30 Metcalfe is an excellent International style mid-rise that should be preserved IMO.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Disappointing we won't get a LeBreton update. Wonder if they didn't receive any expressions of interests for the SJAM parcels. Maybe the NCC needs to slow down (never thought I'd say that)?.
I'm not sure i would read anything into the NCC not having an update on the Flat. The proposals are accepted until October 5, 2022, at 1 pm EDT. for the SJAM parcel so I'm not surprised its not on the agenda.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I'm not sure i would read anything into the NCC not having an update on the Flat. The proposals are accepted until October 5, 2022, at 1 pm EDT. for the SJAM parcel so I'm not surprised its not on the agenda.
Thanks for that. So maybe they'll award the parcels next meeting (January?) then.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:36 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
100 Sparks Street and 30 Metcalfe Street were purchased by Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada from the National Capital Commission for $19,900,000 or $120 per square foot. It is improved with 6-storey and 10-storey office buildings.

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...mber-Sales.pdf
Redevelopment on the NCC Agenda for tomorrow
https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...Agenda-WEB.pdf

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Redevelopment on the NCC Agenda for tomorrow
https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...Agenda-WEB.pdf
That should be interesting. Don't care about the Sparks tower, but the Metcalfe mid-rise is quite handsome and deserves some thought of preservation IMO.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:51 PM

Board Meeting up on the YouTube channel. They made some terrible changes to the format. You now have three screens; the video, English transcript and French transcript and we no longer see the slide presentation, though it's available on the website.

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...g-october-2022

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Board Meeting up on the YouTube channel. They made some terrible changes to the format. You now have three screens; the video, English transcript and French transcript and we no longer see the slide presentation, though it's available on the website.

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...g-october-2022

Video Link

Here's what they have planned for Sparks and Metcalfe. It's a decent sized lot but nothing even brought up to the city and very preliminary. Would be interested to see what they want to do with this in the end.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post

Here's what they have planned for Sparks and Metcalfe. It's a decent sized lot but nothing even brought up to the city and very preliminary. Would be interested to see what they want to do with this in the end.
Caught a bit of the meeting and it sounds like they want to build an office tower that can serve as swing space for the government (forget for which department, it was mentioned) for at least 10 years with commercial at grade. After ten years, it would then serve as regular government office space. A few of the high level objectives for the building are to achieve LEED Platinum, utilize a mass timber structure, and to be architecturally significant. What that means for the NCC is unclear. I believe the building is needed by 2028 at the latest. I hope I got the details right.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:27 PM

Something else to note for this building is it would be within the closed portion of Metcalfe so it could interact with the street quite well if thats factored into the design.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Caught a bit of the meeting and it sounds like they want to build an office tower that can serve as swing space for the government (forget for which department, it was mentioned) for at least 10 years with commercial at grade. After ten years, it would then serve as regular government office space. A few of the high level objectives for the building are to achieve LEED Platinum, utilize a mass timber structure, and to be architecturally significant. What that means for the NCC is unclear. I believe the building is needed by 2028 at the latest. I hope I got the details right.
Shades of the Triumphal Arch, built on Union Square in 1860, for the Prince of Wale's visit. (180,000 board feet, in several arches, without a single nail!)

Image from the Lost Ottawa article.

Hey, wait a minute. Doesn't that smack of Colonialism? Is the harvesting of huge timbers from an old-growth forest (by the invading 'White-man') something that the NCC should be glorifying?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 12:01 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Algonquin heritage honoured as Nepean Point renamed to Kìwekì Point
Meanwhile, the NCC says it expects to announce its recommendation for a new name for the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway in early 2023

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Oct 04, 2022 • 3 hours ago • 2 minute read

Kìwekì Point, meaning “returning to one’s homeland,” is the new name for Nepean Point in downtown Ottawa.

The National Capital Commission approved the name change Tuesday following consultations with representatives of Algonquins of Pikwàkanagàn and Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg.

A new pedestrian bridge linking Major’s Hill Park to Kìwekì Point will be called Pìdàban Bridge, the Algonquin word for dawn.

“These new names will add Algonquin voices and showcase their culture and language,” NCC Chairman Marc Seaman said at Tuesday’s meeting of the commission’s board of directors.

The renaming comes as the NCC is in the midst of redeveloping the promontory that juts high over the Ottawa River behind the National Gallery of Canada. That plan includes a circular viewing platform near the summit and the relocation of the statue of Samuel de Champlain, which has long dominated the site. Champlain will be joined on the point with the statue of an Anishinabe scout, titled Zibi Annini, which had been moved to Major’s Hill Park in the 1990s.

Meanwhile, those pushing for a new name for the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway will have to wait a little longer. The NCC says it expects to announce its recommendation for a new name for the SJAM in early 2023.

Originally known as The Western Parkway and the Ottawa River Parkway, the parkway was renamed after Canada’s first prime minister in 2012 by the former Conservative government. Critics say the name is insensitive, given Macdonald’s support for Canada’s residential school system and the forced assimilation of Indigenous people.

On Friday, Canada’s National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, Algonquin spiritual advisor Albert Dumont led a protest march on the SJAM demanding its name be changed.

That process is nearing completion, NCC CEO Tobi Nussbaum said Tuesday. The commission updated its toponymy policy in April and established an advisory committee in the summer, which met for the first time in September, Nussbaum said.

“The first item for discussion by the committee was the question of SJAM because we’d had a number of formal requests to look at renaming that NCC asset,” Nussbaum told reporters. This fall, there will be further “engagement opportunities,” he said.

“We expect to bring a recommendation to the board at its January 2023 meeting.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...o-kiweki-point

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 12:28 AM

Did they call that location Kìwekì? Was that point a place of significance? Did particular ceremonies or activities take place there?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:40 PM

Too bad 30 Metcalfe would be demolished. Lost opportunity for residential on Sparks as well.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 9:25 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa Riverkeeper finds new home in NCC's renovated boathouse
The wooden structure is one of only a handful of such boathouses remaining in Canada.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Oct 28, 2022 • 1 hour ago • 2 minute read

The Ottawa Riverkeeper has a new home — and what a home.

The non-profit river quality watchdog has signed a lease to occupy the newly renovated River House, the former New Edinburgh Canoe Club that sits on pilings on the Ottawa River in Rockcliffe Park. The heritage building is owned by the National Capital Commission and was built between 1914 and 1925.

“Could there be a better home?” asked Geoff Green, Arctic explorer and chair of the Ottawa Riverkeeper board. “It’s literally on the river. It’s like a canoe.”

Riverkeeper will occupy the third floor and part of the main floor of the wooden structure, one of only a handful of such boathouses remaining in Canada. It will house the agency’s offices and a freshwater science lab, funded in part by a $750,000 federal grant announced Friday by Treasury Board President Mona Fortier and Ottawa-Centre MP Yasir Naqvi.

Key to the new location will be the ability to hold public events, said Riverkeeper’s executive director Laura Reinsborough.

“It is turning this formerly private asset into a public asset for all to enjoy,” she said. “Everyone who comes here will walk away with a deeper connection to the Ottawa River and a better understanding of the richness of the species that live within it.”

Reinsborough says she hopes the organization will be able to bring in school groups to learn about the river and see the Riverkeeper’s science labs in action.

The renovation of River House is part of the NCC’s new focus on the Ottawa River, said the commission’s CEO, Tobi Nussbaum.

“For generations, when the river was an industrial zone, we turned our back to it,” Nussbaum said. The River House renovation joins the NCC’s rehabilitation of the Westboro Beach Pavilion and the redesign of Nepean Point in its strategy of focusing on developing and animating the Ottawa River shoreline.

When complete, the River House will include a viewing platform and swim dock (currently there is no authorized swimming area on the river in the 24 kilometre stretch between Westboro Beach and Petrie Island), newly landscaped river access along the Sir George-Etienne Parkway, and a connection to the Ottawa River Multi-Use Pathway.

Nussbaum said the NCC eventually hopes to have a restaurant or bistro operate from the location.

The renovations included installing a raised, prefabricated steel pedestrian bridge from the shoreline, installing an elevator and upgrading the building’s services and fire protection. Work began in 2019 and is expected to be complete next summer.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ated-boathouse

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 9:38 PM

I adore this building. It's absolutely incredible to me that it has survived 100 years without burning down. I hope it has a modern sprinkler system nowadays.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 9:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Milestone moment for Ottawa Riverkeeper as it makes NCC's River House its new home
Non-profit organization unveils volunteer campaign cabinet to help raise money for educational programming

By: Caroline Phillips, OBJ
Oct 28, 2022 1:19pm EDT

Ottawa Riverkeeper announced today that it has signed a lease to become the first official tenant of the NCC’s newly renovated River House, a celebrated heritage building located on the Ottawa River.

The move to the new location was described as “an exciting new chapter” for Ottawa Riverkeeper by the non-profit organization’s long-time board chair, Geoff Green, during a special gathering held with Riverkeeper and CEO Laura Reinsborough, community leaders from the organization, representatives from the National Capital Commission and elected federal government officials.

Serving as the magnificent backdrop to the announcement was the historic red-trimmed River House. It was surrounded by the calm waters of the Ottawa River and the warm and muted shades of autumn. The small crowd sang along as Grandmother Irene Compton performed a traditional water song to start things off.

“While driving here today and crossing that (interprovincial) bridge, it really hit me what a significant moment this is right now,” said Green, a resident of Chelsea, Que. and founder and president of the Students On Ice Foundation. “This has been an incredible journey for so many years to get here.”

The River House, slated to publicly open during the summer of 2023, will be used by Ottawa Riverkeeper as a fresh water lab for scientific monitoring and quality testing, an educational space for school groups of all ages, a conference and collaboration hub, and office space.

Ottawa Riverkeeper will be taking over the top floor and half of the lower floor as part of its five-year renewable lease. Currently, it's based out of a downtown office building.

The new headquarters for Ottawa Riverkeeper is the most important development to date in the history of the organization, which has marked many successes and growth since it was created in 2001 to protect and promote the Ottawa River watershed. “What we’re announcing today marks an innovation and a new step in what we can achieve together in the years to come to benefit this entire watershed and beyond, nationally and even internationally,” said Green.

Ottawa cabinet minister Mona Fortier, president of the Treasury Board and MP for Ottawa-Vanier, was joined by Liberal Ottawa Centre MP Yasir Naqvi to announce a $750,000 commitment from the Federal Economic Development Agency to cover capital costs of the fit-up for the interior spaces. “I can tell you I truly believe in this,” said Fortier while delivering brief remarks.

NCC CEO Tobi Nussbaum outlined several reasons why the federal Crown corporation was excited to partner with Ottawa Riverkeeper.

“For generations really, when the river was an industrial zone, we turned our back to it,” said Nussbaum. “One of the key things the NCC is working on throughout the National Capital Region is how do we turn and face it, and how do we welcome it, and how do we provide more and better opportunities for visitors and residents of the capital to enjoy it.”

The revitalization of the NCC River House, which is almost 100 years old, recently received an award of merit from the Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals. “Heritage is a very important part of our mandate,” Nussbaum noted.

The partnership also fits with the NCC’s commitment to protect the environment, said Nussbaum. “We take very seriously a sustainable development mandate, a climate mitigation mandate. The Riverkeeper is such a great partner in terms of helping us realize that objective of being better guardians of the environment.”

Also unveiled was the organization's new campaign cabinet, co-chaired by Ottawa Riverkeeper board member Colleen Westeinde and businessman and philanthropist Michel Drouin. They’re leading a $5-million fundraising campaign that will support the expansion of the organization's educational programming.

“I believe the River House is really, really going to amplify the Ottawa Riverkeeper’s work in keeping this gorgeous watershed healthy for future generations to enjoy,” said Westeinde.

Joining them are volunteer business and community leaders from both sides of the river, including: Paul Drouin, Jeff Parkes (Taggart Realty), Éric Déry (Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton), Nicholas Bouquet, Craig Stewart (Insurance Bureau of Canada), Green, Velma McColl (Earnscliffe Strategy Group), Kimberly Biggs (Agence POP Inc.), Charles Desjardins and Linda Dwyer-Commando (Indigenous Leadership Initiative).

Reinsborough, who joined Ottawa Riverkeeper last year, said she’s looking forward to helping visitors of their new location gain a deeper connection to the river and a better understanding of the richness of species that live within it. She indicated the organization will be able to start using its new space within the next few months, as renovations are still ongoing.

“I feel really fortunate that I’ve come into the organization at a time when this is our next big step,” Reinsborough told OBJ. “I knew this coming into the role, we’ve been planning for it for so long, and I feel really grateful that I can help steward the organization through this big opportunity.

“We’ll be growing in every way because of this. That’s exactly what’s needed in this decade. I took this job and I joined this team because of huge environmental crises around biodiversity loss, around climate change. I mean, you can go on and on. The crises are so big and overwhelming and here this amazing organization with such a strong track-record of success has this opportunity to grow and be more and do more.

“I’m excited, to say the least.”

caroline@obj.ca

https://www.obj.ca/index.php/article...e-its-new-home

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Also unveiled was the organization's new campaign cabinet, co-chaired by Ottawa Riverkeeper board member Colleen Westeinde and businessman and philanthropist Michel Drouin. They’re leading a $5-million fundraising campaign that will support the expansion of the organization's educational programming.
I assume that's Jeff Westeinde's wife?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 3:20 PM

Next Board Meeting is next week Thursday, January 19 2023
Agenda is not yet posted. Hopefully We'll hear more about the arena and the other parcel of Lebreton Flat that was up for lease.

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...ting+-+Traffic

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Next Board Meeting is next week Thursday, January 19 2023
Agenda is not yet posted. Hopefully We'll hear more about the arena and the other parcel of Lebreton Flat that was up for lease.

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...ting+-+Traffic
I'm at the edge of my seat!

Don't think we'll hear anything on the arena though (unless talks fell through, but we would probably know). Not expecting anything on that until the Fall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues