HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I guess Billy Corgan and Eddie Vedder are the only surviving megaband frontmen from that era of music at this point.
We can add Anthony Kiedis and Perry Farrell to that list.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntclub View Post
http://yowstage.com

New 2,500 capacity concert/entertainment venue is going to be opening at Ey Centre in November 2023. Glad to see all these new venues, Ottawa needs more concerts.
Thanks for posting. It's an interesting addition to the EY Centre. Seems to be Stage and venue that can be put up and taken down depending on the client's needs.

EY will be far more accessible with the O-Train. Should be a huge boost for them. Hope to see some hotels and restaurants around the station and EY in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:22 PM
You call that a knife?

Beyond the Pale & Friends starting a music fest at City Centre

Saturday August 19th

https://thecitycentrerockout.com/

https://i.imgur.com/Un7Y7Xy.png

https://i.imgur.com/i7adKU3.png

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:55 PM

Will it grow to be as big as Rockfest? We shall see.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 8:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

...and if the musical act is boring, you just turn around and watch wrestling instead.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 4:18 PM

What a weekend it was for culture and tourism in Ottawa!

Saturday night was A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie at the CTC. A big-name hip hop artist making a stop in Ottawa as a standalone act, rather than at a festival, is pretty rare so this was great to see.

Next we had the first weekend of the Ottawa International Jazz Festival, held in the heart of downtown. Not much of a jazz fan myself but I always love the look of this festival’s setup, with the partial overhead canopy.

Finally, we had Escapade Music Festival at Lansdowne. Attended this one myself and had an absolute blast. A good portion of the attendees made their way over from Montreal yet again, a testament to the star-studded lineup this festival continually produces.

Definitely an exciting weekend in the capital with lots of tourism $$$ being pumped into the local economy. Next up, Canada Day and Bluesfest!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
Finally, we had Escapade Music Festival at Lansdowne. Attended this one myself and had an absolute blast. A good portion of the attendees made their way over from Montreal yet again, a testament to the star-studded lineup this festival continually produces.
Glebe NIMBY residents in shambles right now.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 5:18 PM

Escapade has become quite the yearly event for Ottawa. To your point, I've seen many people from Montreal and even Toronto drive down for the weekend to attend. Not often that we, Ottawa, attract business & tourism from MTL/TO.

I heard the organizers did not get approval for exception to noise bylaw (would one have been granted even if they had?). In any case, I hope this doesn't drive the organizers to reconsider Lansdowne and move it back to Hard Rock Raceway... that place was a disaster, out in the boonies, created a ton of traffic & gridlock and I'm sure driving under the influence.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Escapade has become quite the yearly event for Ottawa. To your point, I've seen many people from Montreal and even Toronto drive down for the weekend to attend. Not often that we, Ottawa, attract business & tourism from MTL/TO.

I heard the organizers did not get approval for exception to noise bylaw (would one have been granted even if they had?). In any case, I hope this doesn't drive the organizers to reconsider Lansdowne and move it back to Hard Rock Raceway... that place was a disaster, out in the boonies, created a ton of traffic & gridlock and I'm sure driving under the influence.
And isn't Escapade a more youth oriented electronic music concert? Hard Rock seems like such a strange place for it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 6:18 PM

Quote:

There is always Lebreton Flats. Wonder what would it take to build a big permanent outdoor stage for these festivals on the War Museum lawn. Feels like there is always somebody setting up a stage there at some point during the summer.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:

It definitely has. It creates quite a draw for those coming from Toronto and Montreal. The big names it draws certainly helps. Lansdowne seems like the perfect spot for it, and it will become even better once there is a better public transit to and from Lansdowne plus hotel options in 2.0.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 9:44 PM

Was escapade succesful when they held it at rcgt park? That seems like a better backup location than the hard rock, at least from a transit perspective.
Or is that not an option now that there is a baseball team again?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 12:35 AM

A few EDM "purists" I know preferred it when it was at the Hard Rock site because there was more open space and the organizers didn't have to do any wonky setups with the audio and laser rigging to appease the NIMBYs. I assume they were able to be more liberal with the firework displays too.

That being said, Lansdowne is far, far better from an accessibility perspective and I wonder if we'd still get the same draw from TO/MTL if it went back to Hard Rock. Personally, I think it needs to stay at Lansdowne but who knows how viable that'll be long-term with Lansdowne 2.0 construction and reduction to the Great Lawn.

Re: the noise bylaw violation... I'm not 100% certain how accurate this is, but I've heard that basically it's a loophole that city staff and festival organizers are both in on. If an application for a noise exemption gets denied, festival is a no-go. So better to just factor in the cost of a fine into the festival budget and pay it afterwards. City gets some extra revenue out of it that way as well. Again, not sure if that's actually what the plan was here all along but seems plausible.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsWithJobs View Post
Was escapade succesful when they held it at rcgt park? That seems like a better backup location than the hard rock, at least from a transit perspective.
Or is that not an option now that there is a baseball team again?
Hard to know how successful RCGT Park was as a venue because that was a heavily watered-down version of the festival in the first year back after Covid.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Hard to know how successful RCGT Park was as a venue because that was a heavily watered-down version of the festival in the first year back after Covid.
I was there during that year. It is a much smaller venue than Landsdowne and can't accommodate the attendance its gotten the last two years. I believe it was around 10-13k daily at RCGT park and its 22-25k daily at Lansdowne.

Its gotten pretty large since the covid year.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotajoe View Post
I was there during that year. It is a much smaller venue than Landsdowne and can't accommodate the attendance its gotten the last two years. I believe it was around 10-13k daily at RCGT park and its 22-25k daily at Lansdowne.

Its gotten pretty large since the covid year.
Yeah, I've only ever attended when it's been at Lansdowne and I just can't imagine it being close to as good anywhere else. The venue itself contributes so much to the festival, where you have the Great Lawn Stage with the big hill acting as a sort of amphitheatre, then the Stadium Stage flanked by the stands, and finally the Aberdeen Stage, which is by-far my favourite of all, providing an amazing indoor stage experience that's unique to Escapade as far as I know, when considering other major festivals in Canada. Not to mention, Aberdeen is air-conditioned during the festival.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 12:38 PM

RCGT is much too small and the Hard Rock is much too remote.

But someone brought up a good point about Lebreton. With it being walking distance to downtown, better served by transit, and enough space to offer several stages (see Bluesfest), I wonder why this location hasn't been tested yet.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
There is always Lebreton Flats. Wonder what would it take to build a big permanent outdoor stage for these festivals on the War Museum lawn. Feels like there is always somebody setting up a stage there at some point during the summer.
Surprised they've never built a permanent stage at Bluesfest Park, but I assume that's about protecting views of Parliament. Hope they build one in the Parks District.

Quote:
A few EDM "purists" I know preferred it when it was at the Hard Rock site because there was more open space and the organizers didn't have to do any wonky setups with the audio and laser rigging to appease the NIMBYs. I assume they were able to be more liberal with the firework displays too.

That being said, Lansdowne is far, far better from an accessibility perspective and I wonder if we'd still get the same draw from TO/MTL if it went back to Hard Rock. Personally, I think it needs to stay at Lansdowne but who knows how viable that'll be long-term with Lansdowne 2.0 construction and reduction to the Great Lawn.

Re: the noise bylaw violation... I'm not 100% certain how accurate this is, but I've heard that basically it's a loophole that city staff and festival organizers are both in on. If an application for a noise exemption gets denied, festival is a no-go. So better to just factor in the cost of a fine into the festival budget and pay it afterwards. City gets some extra revenue out of it that way as well. Again, not sure if that's actually what the plan was here all along but seems plausible.
I think we'll be seeing fewer and fewer fireworks in the coming years between droughts and environmental concerns (but are plastic light shows better for the environment than fireworks?)

The berm seems to be a well appreciated feature of Lansdowne and having the arena come in and replace much of it seems like a bit of a violation of the original agreement with the Citizens of Ottawa. I understand making the roof accessible will be more expensive, but it seems like something that needs to be done in order to preserve the park as much as possible.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 4:34 PM

Cross-posting here:

Quote:
Not sure if this was the case last year or previous years, but I just noticed that Bluesfest will be using Albert Island for its volunteer village. It looks like the new-ish bridge behind the war museum to the island will be exclusively for volunteer access to the site. I find it cool that we are seeing more and more practical uses for land that used to be purely industrial before sitting contaminated and abandoned for decades.

Wasn't Bluesfest contained within the park about a decade ago? It's expanded influence around the area is astounding. Around the ward Museum, the war Museum itself and now Albert Island. Will be interesting to see if/how it integrates with the rest of LeBreton in the future. A stage between the aqueducts? Shows in the new arena? Expansion over to the Parks District? More programming at Zibi?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 3:27 PM

The Jonas Brothers are bringing their tour to the Canadian Tire Centre November 29, 2023.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation