HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Newest version of the Hazelwood plan.
I have mixed feelings about that plan. I wish the overall density of use was higher. On the other hand, it is all about jobs and housing, and no retail, so I like the mix of use. And I think parts of it could end up being pretty cool.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:52 PM

Pittsburgh skyline might be in for an upgrade

Pittsburgh skyline might be in for an upgrade
By John Conti, FOR THE PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 4, 2012

It doesn't take a "Renaissance" to change a skyline.

Three large building projects in various stages of development -- two Downtown and one on Mt. Washington -- promise to dramatically change views from around the city. And all three should end up being appealing.

The three are:

• PNC Financial's plans for a new 33-story headquarters building on Wood Street between Fifth and Forbes, designed by Gensler, a firm headquartered in San Francisco that is one of the best-known designers of tall buildings in the country.

• A new 17-story hotel, office and retail complex on Forbes just up the street from Market Square. This is being designed for Millcraft Industries, real estate developers from Washington County, by Arquitectonica, a Miami-based firm that has been doing elegantly modern architecture around the world for the last 35 years.

• A 25-story hotel and condominium project to be called One Grandview Avenue, overlooking the city from a site next to the Monongahela Incline, with an imaginative design by Desmone & Associates, a well-respected local firm.

The most prominent of the three, from the perspective of how Pittsburghers might view these changes from the ground, is the PNC plan. Their proposed new headquarters -- due to be finished sometime in 2015 -- is one of a new breed of skyscrapers showing up around the world that will introduce to our city the idea that even the tallest of buildings can dare to have curvy facades, in this case with a lot of glass.

The $400 million structure will not just be an adventuresome one for architecturally staid Pittsburgh, it also is intended to be a highly energy-efficient one, as well -- a big accomplishment for a skyscraper. PNC, in fact, says this building aspires to be the "greenest" skyscraper anywhere.

Another adventuresome building is the one planned for Mt. Washington. It may be a surprise to one day see a 25-story building next to the Mon Incline sloping up from east to west in the shape of a huge white sail. But that's just one thing that guarantees that this hotel and condo project will be a fascinating conversation piece if built as planned.

Besides the sail-shaped tower, plans include a large plaza that will extend the promenade of Grandview Avenue, overlooking the city, another 200 feet beyond the Incline. This will be in line with the existing sidewalk along Grandview's city-side edge. The tower, with 160 hotel rooms and six to eight luxury condos, will sit back about 120 feet from this edge, creating the plaza.

Then, below and around the edges of the plaza's platform, the designers propose about 50 condominiums that will resemble the village-like clusters of turn-of-the century millworker houses that cling to the South Side Slopes. (Thus, with expensive modern condos, will 21st-century Pittsburgh honor its past!)

Unfortunately, condos are harder to finance than hotel rooms, and as the Chicago-based developers piece together financing they may find the condos expendable. We'll have to wait to see how the financing goes before we know how this approximately $80 million project is going to turn out. But, we can probably sum up the architects' plan with one short word: Fun! This could bring a playfully exciting addition to the city if and when built.

The biggest worry about structures on Mt. Washington is height. The steep cliffs of the ridge rise about 400 feet above Downtown, and buildings even half that height can diminish the dramatic setting that nature provided for our city. But it's likely the tower in this project will be far enough from the edge that we won't feel that it has unbalanced our view.

The sail shape of the tower, by the way, is not an architectural stunt, but something worked out carefully to preserve views of the city for the houses behind it. Let's hope this project works.

The third building, the "Gardens at Market Square," is the $77 million hotel, condo and retail complex to be built by Millcraft. While "The Gardens" is not as glamorous as what designers Arquitectonica usually produce -- and is in no way a risk-taker -- it is a solid solution to a difficult site. Although part of the building faces and will sort of loom over Market Square, it will be set behind a line of existing buildings that define the edge of the square. The main entrance will be on Forbes.

It's essentially a building made up of three cubes. The cube facing the square will be a Hilton Garden Inn, while two cubes stacked behind it will constitute the office tower and parking. Several features of the design may make it ultimately a winning one for Pittsburghers. The hotel has been intentionally placed facing the square, insuring a lively lit facade in the evenings. And the hotel's public spaces -- meeting rooms and restaurants -- will overlook the square as well. A garden-like courtyard between hotel wings and set about four stories above and overlooking the square could be another attractive feature.

Designs for all three projects may change, of course, before they are built. (Today's plans for the Millcraft building, for example, are far more sophisticated than a preliminary rendering published last year.) But all three buildings should be positive and even exciting additions to our city.

Read more: Pittsburgh skyline might be in for an upgrade - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1oLQ7B0MC

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:55 PM

Aye, that was posted 2 pages back. Exciting though, if even 2/3 come to be.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:55 PM

Forbes Names Pittsburgh one of Ten American Comeback Cities

Ten American Comeback Cities

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonbrune...ck-cities-map/

2009 was the year the tide turned in Phoenix. The real estate market in Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix, was in a firm state of collapse and unemployment had risen to 8.9%, from 5.1% the previous year. In 2005, Maricopa County led the country as a population magnet, taking in more taxpayers than any other county in the United States, according to IRS data. In 2009, for the first time, more taxpayers left the county than moved in.

That was also a turnaround year for Allegheny County, Pa., home to Pittsburgh. The area struggled after the closure of large steel plants in the 1980s, and Pittsburgh’s population fell by more than half in the decades after 1950—largely the result of out-migration to suburbs and to more robust economies in the West. As recently as 2005, Allegheny County lost nearly 10,000 members of taxpaying households, according to IRS data. But in 2009, the losses turned to gain: after several years of both growing in-migration and falling out-migration, more taxpayers moved to Allegheny County than moved out that year. (In 2010, the county slipped back to a modest net loss of 967 members of taxpaying households.)

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Aye, that was posted 2 pages back. Exciting though, if even 2/3 come to be.
Sorry, missed it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:04 PM
Eurosceptic

http://post-gazette.com/pg/12066/1214823-100.stm

Quote:
More criticism aimed at Upper St. Clair housing development

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

By Janice Crompton, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A developer planning to construct 136 new homes ranging in price from $350,000 to $1.5 million near Cook School Road in Upper St. Clair says his development will be an answer for a "market that's not being served."

Neighboring residents in Upper St. Clair and Bridgeville, however, said the traffic generated by so many new homes in such a congested area will be "intolerable."

"This is a public safety issue," said Upper St. Clair resident Cathy Minallo about nearby intersections that she and others fear will be overloaded with new traffic from the development, slated for the 120-acre Bedner family farm.

At least two major intersections near the planned development already have been determined to be "failing," according to traffic engineers.

The issue was discussed at length Monday night, during the second part of a public hearing by Upper St. Clair commissioners to determine whether to grant tentative approval for the project. Also being considered are several exceptions to the township's zoning regulations, such as smaller lot sizes and shorter setbacks from the road.

The development team of Heartland Homes and J.T. Thomas Homes also proposes an access road to the site from Bridgeville's busy Main Street, along with Cook School Road and Scarlett Drive.

Monday's hearing was held at the township's Community & Recreation Center after more than 100 residents tried to squeeze into the first part of the hearing, held last month at the township municipal building.

An equal number of residents turned out Monday night, and dozens also flocked to Bridgeville borough meetings last month where the issue was discussed.

Bridgeville officials have expressed concern about traffic and stormwater runoff, and voted Feb. 13 to spend $1,600 for engineers to review a traffic study submitted by the developer.

Councilman Bill Colussy told commissioners his borough could not afford to conduct its own traffic study, and he and others urged commissioners to reject the project unless the developer agreed to build an access road along an arterial route, such as Bower Hill Road.

"Leave Bridgeville alone," he said.

Commissioners plan to continue the hearing April 2, when they are expected to vote on the proposal.

More details in Thursday's South Xtra edition.

Janice Crompton: jcrompton@post-gazette.com or 412-851-1867.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/12066/121...#ixzz1oLitvYEA

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I have mixed feelings about that plan. I wish the overall density of use was higher. On the other hand, it is all about jobs and housing, and no retail, so I like the mix of use. And I think parts of it could end up being pretty cool.
The density always seems to be an issue here with these large brownfield redevelopments. Just look at the North Shore, SSW, Waterfront, and even including the proposal for the Strip. People always want something denser, and in many cases near the city core they are very justified in thinking that.

This site however is in a location between the SSW and the Waterfront, so expecting it too exceed say the density of SSW might be somewhat ambitious for such a large abandoned track on of land this far from downtown.

If the site does end up becoming denser, then it will infill over time as land values rise and along comes some developer that can make the numbers work. I would rather see that than some mostly empty failed project that was built well ahead of and outstripped the demand for the area.

Has any other city had this large of a swath of undeveloped reclaimed land within the city limits?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:31 PM

I'm ok with the Hazelwood plan.

But again, I think the Strip plan needs to be revised. I would rather mid size (even lower teens in stories) size tower than a cluster of very low rise.
And if demands exists, build apartment building 2 with similar size etc.

I get that the Strip is not tall, but there's no reason why the convention ctr adjacent land should be so short.

If the plan were proposed further up the Allegheny, I would be fine as is, but that particular location deserves a little more.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:28 PM

Sampson Morris is finally moving forward with the Wholey Building. Its a great project and should be successful - there should be enough demand to make it fly.
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...-landmark.html

http://www.sampsonmorrisgroup.com/1501.htm

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 12:59 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Sampson Morris is finally moving forward with the Wholey Building. Its a great project and should be successful - there should be enough demand to make it fly.
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...-landmark.html

http://www.sampsonmorrisgroup.com/1501.htm
Watching that video made me a little nauseous/dizzy. However, I'm all for that project. I think it will do very well as an office building. Not to mention, I love the renderings of both interior and exterior.

I'm a little curious, where are the Port of Pittsburgh's facilities located? I read a while back about some attempt at bringing in more river traffic (loading containers onto barges, etc). Was that ever considered as another docking point? Rail lines are right there, and if you'd configure the interchage with I-376 and 2nd Avenue/Bates Street, you'd have improved access to an interstate highway...

As far as higher density projects going here, yeah, I'd keep that at about a 10-story maximum as well. I'm all for revising the vision for the Strip tho. That's pretty close to Downtown, therefore the proposals should reflect that a little more...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz Khalifa View Post
If the site does end up becoming denser, then it will infill over time as land values rise and along comes some developer that can make the numbers work. I would rather see that than some mostly empty failed project that was built well ahead of and outstripped the demand for the area.
I can appreciate that. I also think as big a prize as the site itself is revitalizing Hazelwood, and there could be infill there as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Finally!

I'm sorta bummed it didn't end up residential, but more office space is good too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:09 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I think it will do very well as an office building. Not to mention, I love the renderings of both interior and exterior.
I don't know... It looks pretty bland to me! Hopefully it turns out looking nice in person.

I love the description of the building in the article: "...after reaching a sales agreement on the seven-story concrete slab of a structure with a smiling neon fish on the side" LOL!!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
I don't know... It looks pretty bland to me! Hopefully it turns out looking nice in person.

I love the description of the building in the article: "...after reaching a sales agreement on the seven-story concrete slab of a structure with a smiling neon fish on the side" LOL!!!
Agree. Looks typical.

The Wholey's smiling neon fish will be missed!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:24 PM

The Wholey building is a really tough structure for the developer to work with, so I can cut them a little slack on the design aspects. It has extremely thick concrete walls and floors. Just punching windows in it is probably going to be painful. Sampson Morris usually does a decent job, so I'm optimistic it will look better in reality than in the renderings.

The Hazelwood plan, IMO, is already pretty dense. The housing aspects of it are not tall, but I don't think Hazelwood could support large scale residential. The office buildings shown on the first portion are pretty large buildings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:57 PM

If this were a new-build, I'd be pretty skeptical of the design. But I am optimistic that given the structure they are working with, it will end up being cooler than you might otherwise think. In particular, I am hopeful that sense of having cut into very thick walls will come through.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
The Hazelwood plan, IMO, is already pretty dense. The housing aspects of it are not tall, but I don't think Hazelwood could support large scale residential.
In my ideal world, there would be a transit component to this project, with higher-rise residential around it. I realize that is asking a lot, but I think at some point, maybe sooner than some people think, we will feel the need for such projects.

I also was reacting to the middle two parts, "Smart Site Central Green" and "Eco-Tech Park". There is a lot of open space in those sections, including surface parking next to warehouses.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 11:32 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
The Wholey building is a really tough structure for the developer to work with, so I can cut them a little slack on the design aspects. It has extremely thick concrete walls and floors. Just punching windows in it is probably going to be painful. Sampson Morris usually does a decent job, so I'm optimistic it will look better in reality than in the renderings.

The Hazelwood plan, IMO, is already pretty dense. The housing aspects of it are not tall, but I don't think Hazelwood could support large scale residential. The office buildings shown on the first portion are pretty large buildings.
That's my take on it. People think this design looks rather "blah," but I looked at the Google Streetview images. That building couldn't be anyMORE bland than it is right now! Given that, I think this design is rather fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In my ideal world, there would be a transit component to this project, with higher-rise residential around it. I realize that is asking a lot, but I think at some point, maybe sooner than some people think, we will feel the need for such projects.

I also was reacting to the middle two parts, "Smart Site Central Green" and "Eco-Tech Park". There is a lot of open space in those sections, including surface parking next to warehouses.
You know, I actually envisioned an extension of the T from the First Avenue station along the north/east shore of the Mon River to McKeesport with stops in South Oakland near the technology park, a few stops in Hazelwood as well as Rankin, and a couple in McKeesport. Altho, many would argue, I'm sure, that McKeesport would be not worth the investment...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:34 AM

I walked up to watch the Mario statue unveil and took a couple quick pics of the Arena demo. Another panel went down in the past week.

Civic Arena Demo (03/07/12)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:10 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^Yess!! Awesome photos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations