HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:02 AM

http://www.railsideattheforks.com/up...30-06-2016.pdf

this has got be the dumbest 20 year plan i have ever seen

according to these dumbies by year 25 they will have 41 buildings erected on that site
n

this thing only needs 5 - 10 mid rise condos and green space be done in 5 years if not less..

the dumbies behind this were smoking to much crack before putting this powerpoint seminar together

Last edited by lilwayne; Apr 22, 2017 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post

according to these dumbies by year 25 they will have 41 buildings erected on that site
n

this thing only needs 5 - 10 mid rise condos and green space be done in 5 years if not less..

the dumbies behind this were smoking to much crack before putting this powerpoint seminar together
Pathetic.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:24 AM

this is the worst development idea ever created

40 buildings over 25 years.... 25 yearssssssss this will be different world in 25 years.. loll 25 years year we would be at 2 million people atleast... these people were smoking to much maryjane when they thought this out

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:29 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
this is the worst development idea ever created

40 buildings over 25 years.... 25 yearssssssss this will be different world in 25 years.. loll 25 years year we would be at 2 million people atleast... these people were smoking to much maryjane when they thought this out
Keep it on topic

Last edited by hexrae; Apr 22, 2017 at 1:59 AM. Reason: Quoted post cleaned up

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:37 AM
surely you agree with me

It won't take 25 years. It will go as quickly as the market can support.

Last edited by trueviking; Apr 22, 2017 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:54 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

agreed guna be sad to see the rail museum leave downtown though

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:47 AM
surely you agree with me

Is it leaving?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:57 AM

i like the idea of adding a high line though

i think the forks has alot of potential i hope they dont mess it up.. the forks is what separates our downtown from other downtown in canada.. if done right we can have one the nicest urban spaces in canada I like the idea of having residential component include in the space but 30 plus smaller buildings seems like kind of over kill.. i dont know i guess ill have to see the final design before i make a judgement but if it can have mix of retail residential and public art with nice pedestrian walkways and green space it could be pretty nice..

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:16 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:

Whose the negative one now?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Is it leaving?
the rapid transit has it going through the rail museum

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:32 AM

Quote:
i like the idea of adding a high line though

i think the forks has alot of potential i hope they dont mess it up.. the forks is what separates our downtown from other downtown in canada.. if done right we can have one the nicest urban spaces in canada I like the idea of having residential component include in the space but 30 plus smaller buildings seems like kind of over kill.. i dont know i guess ill have to see the final design before i make a judgement but if it can have mix of retail residential and public art with nice pedestrian walkways and green space it could be pretty nice..
The goal of these dummies is to make a granular and very dense neighborhood of smaller buildings--something that's exceedingly rare in North America outside of small pockets in Philly and maybe Boston. If you open up google maps and check out Gracia in Barcelona or pretty much anywhere in Amsterdam, you'll see why making a great neighborhood is unattainable by simply plunking down a few midrises. And when you get to visit these places I'm sure you'll mark out as hard as I did. Anyway, you can put up midrises anywhere, but the land at the Forks offers an opportunity to do something unique. And like trueviking said, smaller buildings are more responsive to the market and way easier to pull off without explosive growth or deep pocketed developers.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The goal of these dummies is to make a granular and very dense neighborhood of smaller buildings--something that's exceedingly rare in North America outside of small pockets in Philly and maybe Boston. If you open up google maps and check out Gracia in Barcelona or pretty much anywhere in Amsterdam, you'll see why making a great neighborhood is unattainable by simply plunking down a few midrises. And when you get to visit these places I'm sure you'll mark out as hard as I did. Anyway, you can put up midrises anywhere, but the land at the Forks offers an opportunity to do something unique. And like trueviking said, smaller buildings are more responsive to the market and way easier to pull off without explosive growth or deep pocketed developers.
can you show an example of this in Philly or Boston? (google maps link maybe or name of neighbourhood to look up)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:06 PM
BANNED

So 12 year to get RT through? Seriously that is a long time.
25 years to get a ped overpass?
New mayor in a few years. Entire project thrown out. That's what will happen.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Recreating what was once the norm is what we need to focus on. Again, the designs will be crucial.

Personally, when it is finished, and I feel like I'm in Oslo or Copenhagen, I will consider it a win.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Recreating what was once the norm is what we need to focus on. Again, the designs will be crucial.

Personally, when it is finished, and I feel like I'm in Oslo or Copenhagen, I will consider it a win.
Don't hold your breath. When ever we try to copy European stuff. We fail miserable. Heck there is a city in China that did it to an exact. You'd think you were in the real thing and it's an empty city now. All though that's due to prices.

I just don't think this will work. Making a area like a small town. With cafes and unique stores. No mcdonalds. And residential in all the upper floors would work better. Amd something that has nice walking paths where tourists from here and abroad could walk through and feel they just went into a smaller city.
I'm not for packing as many people in there as possible. I'd like it to work woth the rest of the forks. Keep the feel yet bring people in there wanting to live there.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
But we already have a neighborhood just like that sitting around the forks area, and it's called THE EXCHANGE DISTRICT. Why would we wanna create a "european village" from scratch when we already have one the best preserved collections of these buildings in the country? Imagine if we launched a revitalization project for the exchange that was just as elaborate as the one that turned the forks from an abandoned rail yard into a national historical park? Heck, the neighborhood has already been granted status as a national heritage site for two decades now, so why aren't we taking it more seriously than we are now?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 7:31 PM

In my opinion, the entirety of the Parcel 4 - Rail side redevelopment site should be used for greenspace. It's the largest plot of undeveloped land in the downtown area, and this would be great chance to create a large high quality natural park for future downtown residents, making the area much more livable and thus allowing for higher densities.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 8:02 PM
Armchair urbanist

The Forks has enough green space already. A park would be nice and will be used, but it wouldn't be the best use of the land.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 8:34 PM

PDF plan.

I'll admit the time table seems slow, but understandably so. They have quite an opportunity here to create a very unique urban env. in the heart of the city. I'm fine with the approach they're taking and the timeline estimates involved.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 9:21 PM

If the proposed Boxcar Alley area can be remotely like the Boxpark malls out in London, we'd be doing very well.

http://youtu.be/Hihcs9H65DE

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan