HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Have you been to Tulsa? It is very similar to Austin. Tulsa has a better workforce for manufacturing than Austin and is more centrally located with access to a river port.
I have been to Tulsa many times. I don't find it to be anything like Austin.

Also, Tesla employs a lot of tech workers and would likely find benefit in leveraging Austin's tech scene. Tulsa has no tech scene to speak of.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:43 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
What solar project?
I swear I read a few years ago that Austin power was going to have a huge solar farm for power and financial savings. Maybe I misunderstood.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I swear I read a few years ago that Austin power was going to have a huge solar farm for power and financial savings. Maybe I misunderstood.
Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
That and you can play 2-3 cities off of one another to get a better deal. If a deal isn't already inked I would assume you would see some moves from Hays county cities as well. Lots of cheap land near the dump but not sure about rail connections.

Hutto is pretty obviously going to be the destination.
You won't typically see different cities within the Austin metro competing with one another (at least publicly). The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce coordinates economic development deals for the entire metro. Site selection is early in the process. Once a deal is ready to be announced, locations and any potential local incentives are pretty firm. My guess is that if Tesla is already talking finalists, the outline of the potential deal is already set, including the location in the Austin metro.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:18 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about.
Yikes. Don’t be rude. I think it was related to this:
https://austinenergy.com/ae/green-po...oject-benefits

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I have been to Tulsa many times. I don't find it to be anything like Austin.

Also, Tesla employs a lot of tech workers and would likely find benefit in leveraging Austin's tech scene. Tulsa has no tech scene to speak of.
It’s an auto manufacturing plant. Tesla has plants in both Reno and Buffalo, not exactly tech hubs either. It would make sense to have the R&D in Austin for that reason but the actual manufacturing is better suited for Tulsa where there is well trained workforce due to the large cluster of aerospace and O&G manufacturing companies located there, along with better access to the rest of the country via highways, rail and river transport.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:52 PM

On the Tulsa tip (belatedly): I lived there from 2008-2012 and have to say it's definitely NOT on any Austin timeline. It has never been and never will be anything like this city. If you're Tesla and you want access to a large blue collar workforce; if you want cheap land and a state gov willing to literally dismember itself and gift its limbs to you in exchange for your business; if you value dirt cheap cost of living and think that the most you should provide your workers is a low tax rate; then Tulsa's the place for you. T-Town has made great strides since I've left, but it's still going to forever be the place that has to bribe you to relocate and replace its aging workforce.

If Tesla values cultural cache at all (and if you look at Elon's Twitter feed, it's clear that he does); Austin's the clear winner hands down.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Yikes. Don’t be rude. I think it was related to this:
https://austinenergy.com/ae/green-po...oject-benefits
Yah, it's been there for a while, you can even see it on google maps.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
On the Tulsa tip (belatedly): I lived there from 2008-2012 and have to say it's definitely NOT on any Austin timeline. It has never been and never will be anything like this city. If you're Tesla and you want access to a large blue collar workforce; if you want cheap land and a state gov willing to literally dismember itself and gift its limbs to you in exchange for your business; if you value dirt cheap cost of living and think that the most you should provide your workers is a low tax rate; then Tulsa's the place for you. T-Town has made great strides since I've left, but it's still going to forever be the place that has to bribe you to relocate and replace its aging workforce.

If Tesla values cultural cache at all (and if you look at Elon's Twitter feed, it's clear that he does); Austin's the clear winner hands down.
Honest question, why does Austin need this plant then if there are already so many good paying jobs? Shouldn’t a place like Tulsa where this would go a lot further in improving the local economy and particularly diversifying the economy away from energy and aerospace? Never have understood why some people are so greedy but I guess it is Texas where arrogance is rampant and anything not-Texas is never good enough.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Honest question, why does Austin need this plant then if there are already so many good paying jobs? Shouldn’t a place like Tulsa where this would go a lot further in improving the local economy and particularly diversifying the economy away from energy and aerospace? Never have understood why some people are so greedy but I guess it is Texas where arrogance is rampant and anything not-Texas is never good enough.
1. Hutto isn’t Austin. It’s 30 miles away. I doubt people from Okmulgee, think they live in Tulsa.
2. Hutto is as rural (thus, just as worthy for development....by your standards) as any other rural area of the country. I imagine they will welcome the jobs/investments.
3. Tesla (EM) reserves the right to place their businesses/jobs wherever they please. Who would you propose decide where businesses are allowed to locate?
4. No need for cheap shots at Texas’ expense. I’ve not read any untoward statements regarding Tulsa or Oklahoma in this thread. IMO, Texas gets exactly what it deserves. As we say down here....”that’s right, you’re not from Texas.....Texas wants you anyway!”

Cheers and Hook ‘em!

FYI
“untoward”
adjective
unexpected and inappropriate or inconvenient.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 9:29 PM

Very on the level UrbanCore.

I’m happy to be more frank though. This isn’t a charity decision. A for profit business will locate where it best suits them. Best to view the decision through the eyes of Tesla. Not through any of ours. What are you hoping to hear or achieve coming to the Austin sub-forum to advocate Tulsa for Tesla?

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Very on the level UrbanCore.

I’m happy to be more frank though. This isn’t a charity decision. A for profit business will locate where it best suits them. Best to view the decision through the eyes of Tesla. Not through any of ours. What are you hoping to hear or achieve coming to the Austin sub-forum to advocate Tulsa for Tesla?
I understand that and think it will in all likelihood end up in Texas. But I wouldn’t completely discount Tulsa either, as some in this thread were doing, as there are a lot of advantages for this type of facility there. I know Colorado (and several other states) wanted this plant so congrats to TX and OK for being finalists. Sorry for straying off-topic, back to the Mountain West sub-forum I’ll go...

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
1. Hutto isn’t Austin. It’s 30 miles away. I doubt people from Okmulgee, think they live in Tulsa.
2. Hutto is as rural (thus, just as worthy for development....by your standards) as any other rural area of the country. I imagine they will welcome the jobs/investments.
3. Tesla (EM) reserves the right to place their businesses/jobs wherever they please. Who would you propose decide where businesses are allowed to locate?
4. No need for cheap shots at Texas’ expense. I’ve not read any untoward statements regarding Tulsa or Oklahoma in this thread. IMO, Texas gets exactly what it deserves. As we say down here....”that’s right, you’re not from Texas.....Texas wants you anyway!”

Cheers and Hook ‘em!

FYI
“untoward”
adjective
unexpected and inappropriate or inconvenient.
I just talked to a friend in Fremont, where the Tesla assembly plant is. This is apparently what's going on, according to him. It IS the Austin Area, AND we will know no longer than a week or so from now, for sure. After the announcement, the construction of the Cybertruck Gigafactory will commence IMMEDIATELY, and Elon "Tusk" expects the first trucks to come off the assembly line BEFORE the end of the year. If that happens, it would certainly be amazing, to say the least!

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVistaChino View Post
I just talked to a friend in Fremont, where the Tesla assembly plant is. This is apparently what's going on, according to him. It IS the Austin Area, AND we will know no longer than a week or so from now, for sure. After the announcement, the construction of the Cybertruck Gigafactory will commence IMMEDIATELY, and Elon "Tusk" expects the first trucks to come off the assembly line BEFORE the end of the year. If that happens, it would certainly be amazing, to say the least!
What’s his association other than being from Fremont? Wouldn’t be surprised about Tesla moving very quickly on cybertruck. That’s a huge market they can’t deliver to yet. Have read reservations of cybertrucks is at 500K as of earlier this year. I believe the electric truck market could be enormous.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:44 PM

I believe I found the future site of Tesla. It's in Williamson County. The site is U/C with several Tesla cars parked in front.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I believe I found the future site of Tesla. It's in Williamson County. The site is U/C with several Tesla cars parked in front.
spill it. donde?

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Are you back from Vegas and just driving around Wilco?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
spill it. donde?
Off Hwy 79 between Hutto & Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Are you back from Vegas and just driving around Wilco?
Yes. I'm in the process of moving back to Austin. Aka home.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:40 PM

Check this story out. It confirms JoninATX's post about it (or something else that is very big) already being U/C between Hutto and Taylor.

https://www.torquenews.com/1/rare-pi...-possible-site

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; May 17, 2020 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:08 PM

Wait, is this saying they just bought a spot in Jarell and are already under construction in Hutto? So they plan 2 spots?

I need things spelled out for me....i'm dum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin