HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
We've got some work to do...

I don't think that's necessarily fair much of our development is too short for tower cranes

Also is this just counting City proper (I guess probably) because we would need to include Chandler, Scottsdale and Tempe too and we would probably be closer to 20.

I always imagine an alternate phoenix where downtown is on the river across from Tempe with Scottsdale/arcadia/the Biltmore making a northern ring around downtown and chandler a little closer in to the southeast.

Could you imagine if all of that was centrally located like one of the old eastern cities.

Damn cars! Damn modern comforts!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 9:25 PM
BANNED

All of the cities on the map have suburbs as well, so their numbers would be higher too. The focus is probably commercial concentrations in each of the cities cores.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 6:45 AM

28 even seems low for NYC, so I can't imagine neighboring towers in Jersey City and Hoboken are reflected.

The fact that all of downtown's land is being developed sans cranes is a sign of how behind the city is in getting the proper pieces together for a downtown equal to those of peer cities. The lack of HQs limits jobs, freezing office construction and making residential density in the core pointless. Ironically, retail seems to be doing great- I guess students and reverse commuters are building a decent base.

I think downtown is going great, but I think it still has a way to go. There needs to be more Portland on the Parks and less iLuminates.

ASU could have - and still can - play a big role. It's a shame they are building the senior housing tower on Mill rather than downtown, and it's frustrating that they rely solely on private developers for beds. But, I wish there were more higher ed options... a 4-year Phoenix College, a private school; wonder if BYU would ever consider a satellite?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I don't think that's necessarily fair much of our development is too short for tower cranes

Also is this just counting City proper (I guess probably) because we would need to include Chandler, Scottsdale and Tempe too and we would probably be closer to 20.

I always imagine an alternate phoenix where downtown is on the river across from Tempe with Scottsdale/arcadia/the Biltmore making a northern ring around downtown and chandler a little closer in to the southeast.

Could you imagine if all of that was centrally located like one of the old eastern cities.

Damn cars! Damn modern comforts!
Downtown really does suffer due its location. It lacks the geographic landmarks and boundaries of others, and development has really taken it out of the "center" city to almost the southern fringe. FLW wanted to build City Hall at Papago. Everyone says it was a shitty idea, but I don't really know why. Imagine if all of the land occupied by SRP and National Guard was filled with towers?

The bigger problem with the distance between each is that the cool, local scene formed 10 or so years ago has essentially franchised itself out to all of the Valley burbs. Why go downtown to the trendy bars when the owners just opened one down the street?

It also causes cannibalization of jobs. Tempe is planning out its new Biomedical Campus, joining another in Northern Phoenix when the original downtown campus is dragging and hasn't brought any major employers in since TGEN.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:26 AM

Pics of the new Linear Apartments on 3rd St and Roosevelt taken on 11/24/16:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:28 AM

Pics of Portland Place II taken on 11/24/16:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:29 AM

Pics of the Metrowest Development on Roosevelt and 1st Av taken on 11/24:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:30 AM

Are those patios caged in??

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:37 AM

Pics of the Muse and 222 E McDowell taken on 11/24:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:43 AM

The patios are not caged in per se - albeit it did look that way to me at first also. I checked the rendering at the site and it does indicate accurately what is being built. I guess that was the look they were going for....kinda like the Optima building at 24th and Camelback.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 1:01 PM

I don't know, those sure as heck look like cages to me.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I don't know, those sure as heck look like cages to me.
Here's the rendering for The Union @ Roosevelt from the Metrowest website. Looks pretty close to what is shown in sky51's pics as far as the balconies go:

Website: http://www.metrowestdevelopment.com/...6ep0z3cbnylpop

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 2:45 PM

How am I the only one who sees rat cages?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:01 PM

Capitol Lofts

Of all the projects to be moving this one is surprising to me.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...wntown-phoenix

Quote:
Starting at $165,000 and ranging from 571 to 869 square feet, the contemporary new residences are designed to offer affordable housing in a thriving downtown area that is bustling with young professionals, downsizers and renters looking to own a home. Construction on Capitol Lofts is expected to begin early next year and will be move in ready by summer 2018.
This spot is a bit off the beaten track but maybe this bodes well for development between he Capitol and Downtown going forward. Plenty of open space for people to build...whatever they want. I don't know if the demand will be there for this location though.

The website even shows the west-leg light rail line that I don't think is anywhere near even the approval stage right now.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:28 PM

At that price they can sell them, I'm confident.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
This spot is a bit off the beaten track but maybe this bodes well for development between he Capitol and Downtown going forward.
I don't even think it's that far off the beaten path and will get better as the west side of downtown continues to develop. I also agree that these lofts will sell at that price.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 12:20 AM

Pics of the new apartments on 24th and Highland. They are looking pretty sharp IMHO.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 5:27 AM

Work is underway for the apartments planned at the old Phoenix Motor Company site on the south side of Indian School between 2nd and 3rd avenues. A vacant, one story structure that stood on the northwest corner of 2nd Avenue and Indianola was demolished on Monday. Meanwhile crews are doing work inside the actual Phoenix Motor Company structure. It's nice to see some work underway here. I wish that there were plans for the north side of Indian School from 3rd Avenue to Central. It is very strange to have such a large empty lot near one of busiest intersections in the city.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 11:00 PM
BANNED

That property on the north side of Indian School between Central and Third Ave. is owned by the AJ Bayless Family Trust. These turds have owned this land for a generation as the site had a former AJ Bayless Supermarket on the site for years. They have no plans to build and plan to hold it for years. Same problem on the NEC with Barron Collier Co. planning a 20-year hold on development on the land. Luckily the city stepped in there and told them you need to allow us to use the land until then. Now they have all those cool little mini farms so at least it's a net positive for the community. Same with the property further up the street with the pop-up nursery

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 7:12 PM

One of my favorite design/architectural features of European cities is their use of courtyards - some big - some small. These pics were taken 12/8/16 of the courtyard of the new apartments at 3rd St and McDowell - - it is looking great!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest