HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:55 AM

I try to stay as anonymous as possible with my identity, but working at SDA, this is what I was told would happen. The athletic dept doesn't have money to completely tear down the stadium and redo it. So they will somewhat low ball it. We will see how it goes. The press box is in real need of renovations as well. I'm surprised they're not getting rid of it. I hope the academic center gets revamped. It is out of date as well. Odd to take a recruit through there and then go to the third floor/basement and show him an outstanding renovated football facility.

Details in the release:
Replace lower bowl tread on east and west sides, which would allow for more legroom, and seats and benches with seatbacks.

• All public areas (concourse, restrooms, concessions, ramps, etc.) will be raised and rebuilt with substantially more fixtures and services provided to be consistent with modern football venues across the country.

• Escalators will connect various concourse levels.

• Addition of a new state-of-the-art video board to be installed on the north plaza, as well as a new sound system.

• A unique terrace will be built on the north plaza where concerts and community events can be hosted.

• Current press box will be enhanced and new kitchen installed.

• Upper deck will be reconfigured to increase height between concourses, allowing the development of a new premium seating level for new suites and club space.

• Club area will be air-conditioned and the club seating will be open-air.

• A new student section will be built and plans include a student club area.

• Most unique element of the renovation will be the addition of a “scrim” or video ribbon on the outside of the stadium. Videos and images can be projected off the stadium throughout the year to passers by on either side of the venue.

• SDA is evaluating adding the following to the scope of the stadium project: renovating the football facilities (locker room, sports medicine/training, weight room, equipment room, recruiting center, and office space) and completely revamping the Sun Devil Athletics Academic Center

The good news is that the team will stay in Tempe, which won't knock the economy. Also, they won't be placing that worthless canopy over it. If they were gonna do that, they should have just spent an additional 50-100 million and made it an indoor stadium.

As for the timeline, it is ideal, but seeing how initially we were told they would knock out the north EZ after the 2012 season...we will see.

I do love the idea of the video ribbon and everything on the exterior, but I feel that money could be used for other things in the stadium. If they are truly committed though, it won't need to be used for the interior.

Just to list things in the order they are expected to open:

2014:

AMC Theater
Apartments next to TAC
College Avenue Commons

2015:

Hanover Apartments
USA Place
Omni Hotel
State Farm Phase 1
Hub Phase 2?

2016:

HFL 3?
State Farm Phase 2?
Hub Phase 2?
Street Car (most likely connects State Farm to Rural/Apache)

2017:

Sun Devil Stadium
Completion of State Farm

My wishlist:

Another corporate headquarters announcement for space near Mill (20-40 floor building)
University Square revamped proposal
Residential/hotel component at 7th and Mill (15-30 floor)
Commencement of Hayden Harbor > South Bank proposal

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:06 AM

Sun Devil Stadium Renovations

duplicate post. sorry

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
• Most unique element of the renovation will be the addition of a “scrim” or video ribbon on the outside of the stadium. Videos and images can be projected off the stadium throughout the year to passers by on either side of the venue.
I've seen this feature (scrim) on stadiums in Europe and they look amazing. I'm also excited they won't be building a canopy ("roof") over SDS.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:14 AM

http://azbex.com/450m-usa-place-brea...d-in-february/

Hell yeah! this just in!
Construction beginning in a month on USA Place

Last edited by Spitfiredude; Jan 15, 2014 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:31 AM

Quote:
http://azbex.com/450m-usa-place-brea...d-in-february/

Hell yeah! Excuse me moderators, but this just in!
Construction beginning in a month on USA Place
Great day to be on the Valley projects threads.
20 story Marriott also coming to downtown Phoenix!
Yay, how exciting! Tempe is developing a multi-use, urban, street facing development that brings new jobs, retail, grocery, and housing. TAKE NOTE PHOENIX! Looking forward to seeing some better renderings.

My only wish is that they would stack that two 4-5 story apartment buildings and create a single tower to give those living there some better views.

Even more exciting is that they are building it all in one phase. No chance of a recession halting other phases.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

My only wish is that they would stack that two 4-5 story apartment buildings and create a single tower to give those living there some better views.
Agreed, but over 150k of retail is very WELCOMED. Especially with it all being along Mill. I wonder if we will see sites on the westside of Mill south of University purchased as a result of this project for low rise (3-5 story) development.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:36 AM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Agreed, but over 150k of retail is very WELCOMED. Especially with it all being along Mill. I wonder if we will see sites on the westside of Mill south of University purchased as a result of this project for low rise (3-5 story) development.
You are on a role with the news today! The residential explanation on the new website altered my opinion a bit on the apartments. While I would love a few extra stories so they didn't feel so boxed in, I like the idea of quieter "back street" residences above retail near Myrtle, alongside those looking for a more vibrant street vibe along 9th. I can survive with this, especially if we see a revamped University Square with high rise residential across the street. A decade from now this may just be the best urban intersection in the state.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:21 PM

I passed by mill and university yesterday and you can already see that they have blocked off the entrances to any of the parking that was by Chillis, and also as we all know the Chillis is closed as well!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
You are on a role with the news today! The residential explanation on the new website altered my opinion a bit on the apartments. While I would love a few extra stories so they didn't feel so boxed in, I like the idea of quieter "back street" residences above retail near Myrtle, alongside those looking for a more vibrant street vibe along 9th. I can survive with this, especially if we see a revamped University Square with high rise residential across the street. A decade from now this may just be the best urban intersection in the state.
I almost see USA Place as becoming what the Jackson Street Entertainment District had proposed. So many different uses of space, and while I was originally disappointed to see it will all be done in one phase (phase I was originally sheduled for early 2015 completion), I'm actually glad because I think each component is critical toward making this a success. I have long complained about the longterm impact of the mass amounts of student housing being built in the area, but getting these many rentals specifically marketed toward prfoessisonals will be awesome for the vitality of the area.

So many mega projects fail because without one piece, the cycle breaks... Aka you need residential to support dry cleaners and grocery stores, but hotel guests to support entertainment venues, and office workers for lunch/happy hour spots, etc. If this does come together all at once, how can it not be successful eventually?

I am still going to preach that Tempe needs to start thinking higher soon, though. This project has the acreage and perfect storm of mixed uses for midrise to work, but true downtown land (and, until the streetcar is built, lakeside and even USA Place is pushing it with their distance from LRT) is running out, and we need more 12-14 story projects 6-story on M7, Univiersity Square, Mosaic, etc. Save the 6-stories for Ash, Farmer, and east-side infill.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
I've seen this feature (scrim) on stadiums in Europe and they look amazing. I'm also excited they won't be building a canopy ("roof") over SDS.
Agree 1000% on the canopy! Really our home field advantage is about the heat. The way Sun Devil Stadium is built into the butte makes it one of the most unique venues in all of sports. To block the sun, and the views, especially with that hideous canopy would've been a terrible mistake.

On the projection outside, this is not generally a huge cost, especially when compared to an LED ribbon or score board. These are just projects placed side by side around the stadium rather than a true display. This will look amazing at night, especially when State Farm is done and all lit up!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:11 PM

Projection, just like anything else is all about the content. Check out what was done in Prague... unbelievable. Can you image content of this quality around the outside of Sun Devil Stadium? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjWJHEmFfPA

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Congrats to DT Tempe, offering the best urban experience in Metro Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Congrats to DT Tempe, offering the best urban experience in Metro Phoenix.
No joke, Tempe is doing it right!

As for the canopy...why so much hate? I thought it looked pretty cool.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:41 PM

USA Place is perfect, IMO, especially the fact that it is going to be built in just one phase. And to think, there is a CVS with surface parking just across the street.

With USA Place and State Farm alone, Tempe is on fire. I can't wait until these combined with a renovated SDS, not to mention the other projects around the city, are complete.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
No joke, Tempe is doing it right!

As for the canopy...why so much hate? I thought it looked pretty cool.
agreed - I am baffled, it's hotter than hell!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:28 PM

Why so much hate? It is a worthless $125 million investment. You can invest that money toward renovation or making the stadium completely indoor. The concept that it will make the gameday experience 15-25 degrees cooler is just a joke. Sure, you don't have the sun blaring down on you. Sure, there will be a ventilation mechanism that will keep air flowing. That doesn't change the fact that the air temperature will still be in the 110 range in September and 100 in early October. It is a waste of money. No one would attend an outdoor midday game during September whether there is shade or not. The cover would also prevent the beautiful fireworks display at games. Cool concept, not realistic.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
agreed - I am baffled, it's hotter than hell!
A few major issues for me with the canopy.

- The view of the mountains is blocked
- The planes overhead would be blocked
- Fireworks would not be visable
- The tarp looked like a giant piece of fabric like you'd put in your back yard (cheap, half-ass)
- The tarp would look like hell when it gets dirty (have you seen the roof of Chase field?)
- Heat is our homefield advantage. Like the cold is for teams in the mid-west.

Sun Devil Stadium is in such a cool location that it would be terrible to ruin that environment with such a cheap looking tarp over the top. So happy they decided not to go through with that piece of it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Why so much hate? It is a worthless $125 million investment. You can invest that money toward renovation or making the stadium completely indoor. The concept that it will make the gameday experience 15-25 degrees cooler is just a joke. Sure, you don't have the sun blaring down on you. Sure, there will be a ventilation mechanism that will keep air flowing. That doesn't change the fact that the air temperature will still be in the 110 range in September and 100 in early October. It is a waste of money. No one would attend an outdoor midday game during September whether there is shade or not. The cover would also prevent the beautiful fireworks display at games. Cool concept, not realistic.
There are rarely any day games anyway.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
USA Place is perfect, IMO, especially the fact that it is going to be built in just one phase. And to think, there is a CVS with surface parking just across the street.

With USA Place and State Farm alone, Tempe is on fire. I can't wait until these combined with a renovated SDS, not to mention the other projects around the city, are complete.
Yea, I suppose we should be glad they fought for - and won - the inclusion of a second, street side entrance, but I'm surprised such suburban standards were allowed in developing the CVS and Chase buildings; even the new Chik Fil-A is more urban.

Oh well, there's always a chance for some revitalization. Isn't like they're knocking over entire streets if warehouses in the meantime like our other cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest