HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 6:17 AM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
I saw those nearing final install and what a mess that section of Hwy 1 has become. It took me over two hours to get from Hope to Vancouver on a weekday.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:58 AM

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I saw those nearing final install and what a mess that section of Hwy 1 has become. It took me over two hours to get from Hope to Vancouver on a weekday.
I am normally never in Fraser Valley during a weekday, but driving back from Jasper yesterday (Tuesday) at 11am, Highway 1 between Chilliwack and Langley had a traffic similar to a long weekend. They highway is absolutely at its capacity when you have traffic like that on a Tuesday forenoon.

Six-laning only the small portion now approved won't do almost anything. Even if they would six-lane it all the way to Chilliwack, the highway would only be upgraded to its current demand and there would be no future-proofing added.

I was really surprised to see how bad traffic was during a summer weekday when traffic should be at its lowest. Provincial government has no idea what the reality is being. People have been pushed out to the far-flung suburbs due to affordability crisis and this is the plain-as-sight result.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:44 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I wonder whether having Lougheed Highway completely 4-laned from Haney Place (beginning of Haney Bypass) to Abbotsford-Mission Highway will help relieve some pressure.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am normally never in Fraser Valley during a weekday, but driving back from Jasper yesterday (Tuesday) at 11am, Highway 1 between Chilliwack and Langley had a traffic similar to a long weekend. They highway is absolutely at its capacity when you have traffic like that on a Tuesday forenoon.

Six-laning only the small portion now approved won't do almost anything. Even if they would six-lane it all the way to Chilliwack, the highway would only be upgraded to its current demand and there would be no future-proofing added.
You should see it on a long weekend

Plus the Thursday and Friday before and Monday Tuesday afterwards. Summer is actually the worst. A lot of days I just take side roads. The only time the highway is below capacity is before 6am and after 10pm

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesheh View Post

Plus the Thursday and Friday before and Monday Tuesday afterwards. Summer is actually the worst. A lot of days I just take side roads. The only time the highway is below capacity is before 6am and after 10pm
The GM tunnel can be pretty brutal on weekends as well. I've hit it at 11am on a Saturday and it feels like normal week day rush hour traffic.

Would have been nice to see those bridge supports going up by now....

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesheh View Post

This is starting to sound a lot like Ontario’s Highway 401 through Toronto...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

I was really surprised to see how bad traffic was during a summer weekday when traffic should be at its lowest. Provincial government has no idea what the reality is being. People have been pushed out to the far-flung suburbs due to affordability crisis and this is the plain-as-sight result.
Totally agree. The province has its entire head in the ground. At the glacial and piecemeal way things are being addressed, I honestly don't see a properly-scaled road from Hope to the Port Mann in my lifetime. The days of doing anything as game-changing as the Coquihalla are now fully behind us.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
This is starting to sound a lot like Ontario’s Highway 401 through Toronto...
More like the 400 to cottage country although the 401 heading out towards Kingston can get bad as well. For that matter driving around Germany during summer one can pretty much guarantee that you will run into a Stau. But couldn't we get proper rail transport to the city like Toronto has at least? Not that it would help with Okanagan/Shuswap traffic but it could help with the weekday rush a lot. I have to go to YVR maybe once a month to fly or drop off or pick up, and there are absolutely no reasonable transit options to get there, couldn't trips like that be eliminated?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:22 PM

In preparation for the addition of the 7th lane...

Alex Fraser Bridge speed limit permanently lowered to 70 km/hr
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/alex...eed-limit-2019

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
In preparation for the addition of the 7th lane...

Alex Fraser Bridge speed limit permanently lowered to 70 km/hr
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/alex...eed-limit-2019
Just like 2nd Narrow’s. People are gonna go 110+ km/h regardless and cops aren’t gonna care.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Just like 2nd Narrow’s. People are gonna go 110+ km/h regardless and cops aren’t gonna care.
it shouldn't be 70 there anyways... the lanes are still plenty wide enough with the 7th added.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:33 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Speaking of that, is the NDP + Green serious about setting average-speed cameras?

If yes, there, there, people, ditch your cars and hop on the 301, 340 or 388 already.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:28 AM

They're already in place in several locations, with signage to match. The ones that have speed monitoring say as much as well, though I forget the exact wording.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:18 PM

GeeCee, are you specifically referring to average speed cameras? I believe we have red light cameras, and speed cameras for specifically high crash intersections, but I hadn't heard that average speed cameras were on their way.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
GeeCee, are you specifically referring to average speed cameras? I believe we have red light cameras, and speed cameras for specifically high crash intersections, but I hadn't heard that average speed cameras were on their way.
I haven't heard anything about average-speed cameras coming to BC at all, beyond some limited calls for the technology by some Mayors along certain routes (like the Sea to Sky Highway).

If it does come, we would be the first jurisdiction in North America to adopt the technology. This is a fairly common piece of technology being used over in Europe and Australia.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastEcho View Post
I haven't heard anything about average-speed cameras coming to BC at all, beyond some limited calls for the technology by some Mayors along certain routes (like the Sea to Sky Highway).

If it does come, we would be the first jurisdiction in North America to adopt the technology. This is a fairly common piece of technology being used over in Europe and Australia.
Legit, any overpass over the highway has the hidden cameras. So everyone drives their regular speed and then slams on the breaks once passing under the overpass.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
Legit, any overpass over the highway has the hidden cameras. So everyone drives their regular speed and then slams on the breaks once passing under the overpass.
That's not how average speed cameras work. One camera takes a photo of your car at one location, then another camera takes a second photo 100m or 1km or 10km further down the road and calculate your average speed. Braking at the last minute doesn't change your average speed much. In the case of a highway with few exits like the coquihalla the distances could be even longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECS_(speed_camera)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:00 AM

I hope no average speed cameras get introduced as there is no way of knowing if you have maintained your speed over a long distance. I would hate such although I am okay with the regular speed cameras to bring some discipline in our chaotic traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure