HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:15 PM

Lakefront Bikeway

Oct 29

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:24 PM
The City

Seriously, a fully restored Uptown will have to pull in some huge acts, and I’m not just talking about Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber kinda stuff. Promoters will need to look at NYC and LA and try to poach some events from out there. Too bad that Rahm won’t be Mayor by the time this is all done

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:01 PM

Not sure the best place to post this, but the Targets in Chatham and Morgan Park are closing. Sad to see.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/10...d-morgan-park/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:03 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

^Even in the streaming age, I still think there is demand for screening classic/cult/acclaimed films in a short limited manner - especially on a huge screen. Does the restoration include a new screen? I would assume it would to give them the option of showing movies in between live acts.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Even in the streaming age, I still think there is demand for screening classic/cult/acclaimed films in a short limited manner - especially on a huge screen. Does the restoration include a new screen? I would assume it would to give them the option of showing movies in between live acts.
the music box pretty much has this market cornered (in addition to the Siskel and Facets). they get decent crowds for yearly events like the 70mm fest etc and occasional oscar contenders. but the rest of their programming (art house/international/indie etc) is lucky if it draws 20-30 people a showing. the rest of the theaters in the city are basically just going with the big budget megaplex dreck model, which i dont think it would make economical sense to show in a space like this. just turning the lights on would probably cost more than theyd make in ticket sales. im sure they'll have a screen, but i seriously doubt it makes sense as a core part of their business model. a space like this is going to require conventions/big name acts (which they'll be competing with the Aragon for)/rentals, etc

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Right around the Lawrence stop will be able to handle up to 3 different concert sets and over 13,000 people on a given night. It's already great for this, but if they pull off renovation, who's taking bets on this area of Uptown gentrifying even more?
I would love to see the Bridgeview Bank building on Lawrence turned into a hotel. I wonder if Uptown Theater investor, Farpoint, which was started by a Sterling Bay co-founder, will take on more Uptown projects. It is definitely Sterling Bay style to buy up a bunch of properties surrounding its big projects. We'll see if Farpoint does the same.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:22 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

This is true, I was thinking more of sporadic screenings with more mainstream apppeal. Think screening Star Wars 4,5,6 or Jaws or Rocky Horror Picture Show costume night... that sort of thing. The Music Box does a great job at being an art movie house. Uptown could say screen 15 or so movies a year... classic blockbusters that would bring people out just to see it on an enormous screen with kick ass sound.. to just experience a film in such a setting would I'd imagine be very appealing.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New zoning application for the renovation and re-establishment of Uptown Theatre. 5800 person total occupancy:

https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

I am so excited for this, particularly since I live nearby in Uptown. I am so anxious for this renovation to get underway!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:55 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the music box pretty much has this market cornered (in addition to the Siskel and Facets). they get decent crowds for yearly events like the 70mm fest etc and occasional oscar contenders. but the rest of their programming (art house/international/indie etc) is lucky if it draws 20-30 people a showing. the rest of the theaters in the city are basically just going with the big budget megaplex dreck model, which i dont think it would make economical sense to show in a space like this. just turning the lights on would probably cost more than theyd make in ticket sales. im sure they'll have a screen, but i seriously doubt it makes sense as a core part of their business model. a space like this is going to require conventions/big name acts (which they'll be competing with the Aragon for)/rentals, etc
I wonder if a Bollywood/cricket/soccer model could work? Bollywood films, plus showing major Indian cricket and/or soccer games? Maybe throw in some other South, Southeast, and Central Asian films to fill things out. Music Box doesn't have THAT market covered.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is true, I was thinking more of sporadic screenings with more mainstream apppeal. Think screening Star Wars 4,5,6 or Jaws or Rocky Horror Picture Show costume night... that sort of thing. The Music Box does a great job at being an art movie house. Uptown could say screen 15 or so movies a year... classic blockbusters that would bring people out just to see it on an enormous screen with kick ass sound.. to just experience a film in such a setting would I'd imagine be very appealing.
Yeah this could work, especially midnight movie screenings. But you'd have to promote the hell out of it. I'd definitely pay a premium to watch a movie there.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Roots Pizza is negotiating with Landmarks staff over a two-story building at the NWC Polk & Dearborn. I'm very surprised that pencils out given (what I presume) the land cost.
The construction fences went up in the past day. Sloopin has a picture:

http://www.sloopin.com/2018/10/fenci...ement-for.html

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 4:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Logan Theater has pretty good success with a similar model (albeit at a smaller venue with multiple screens). eSports could be a market for them as well.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That’s a complex question, I think.

It’s a very small-c conservative culture at IIT (not politically per se, but definitely resistant to big changes). It’s always been a leafy, low rise campus and the administration has largely kept Mies’ vision intact, which we should be grateful for.

Also because of its engineering focus and heavy immigrant/first-gen student population, many of the students continue to be commuter students, even as other commuter schools like UIC and Roosevelt have tried to transition into a more residential campus environment. So there’s not a huge need for student housing.

Lastly I think there is a strong memory of the 1960-2000 period, when IIT was an island of leafy green space and low-slung buildings surrounded by CHA project housing towers. The culture there just values the low rise architecture of campus.

UofC is totally different, they want to be an big bustling academic city like Harvard, Yale or Oxford/Cambridge. And cities need a skyline. Plus they have a seemingly bottomless supply of grads and undergrads willing to pay top dollar to live in luxury highrises rivaling the South Loop or Gold Coast.
I don't mind most of the current buildings that IIT has nor the absence of height in the main campus but most of the buildings from inside are not in good shape. By that I mean that the interiors are very dull looking and could use a good modern renovation, aside from the buildings that have been renovated like the RE and LS buildings. The Stuart Building, which houses the school's computer science department should be completely renovated from inside. It is very ugly in there. I really hope it gets some work done because being home to the major that is the most popular at IIT it gets a lot of foot traffic and it is embarrassing seeing it in its current condition. This building should be the best looking from inside. I wouldn't oppose to just demolishing it and starting with something new.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:35 PM

Anyone have information on what's going up on the 1300 block of West Taylor Street? Drove by it last night but was unable to find anything out about it. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Anyone have information on what's going up on the 1300 block of West Taylor Street? Drove by it last night but was unable to find anything out about it. . .

. . .
Library and affordable housing

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/5/...square-library

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 10:07 PM

^Excellent. . . thanks. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 12:03 AM

1123 W Randolph St (SE corner Randolph and May). Currently a small surface parking lot. 9 total units, 0 parking spaces. 6 stories at just under 70 feet in height (69 feet 10 inches). Ground floor commercial at 3756 sq ft. Just north of the Hyatt hotel being built on May Street and on the same side of the street as McDonald's HQ. Architect is HKS.

Current:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...7!4d-87.655342

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:02 AM

^^like that. Like those factory style windows on the upper portion. Not sure what the materials are, cement or brick?^^

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:33 AM

only 9 units is kind of weak but zero parking works

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:00 AM
SUSPENDED

It’s a small lot, can’t really go bigger than that. And it’ll give guaranteed views for something taller behind it one day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development