HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I think it's also often not really fear of violent crime, but perhaps a euphemism for not wanting to see unhoused or disregulated people.
That's no doubt a significant part of the equation too.

But in metros like Chicagoland, where the violent crime aspect is endlessly harped on by the media, the fear of "I might get shot if I go into the city" is real among a subset of people, particularly those who seclude themselves within echo chambers of more highly slanted media outlets.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I haven't seen you make an apt analogy yet.
Lol you did. It was no different than the one you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
You didn't need to make that point because the video already mentioned that there are other factors contributing to automobile fatality rates. But don't think I didn't notice how you conveniently swapped the term "car-dominated" that i used in my post for "auto dependent" which isn't the same thing. <what? > -When I used the term car dominated it was specifically to refer to areas where cars are given unreasonable domination over the public realm in terms of how infrastructure is designed and how driving is regulated and enforced. The video discussed several different elements that contributed to Miami's situation including road and intersection design, bike/pedestrian facilities, average vehicle size and cultural attitudes.

Yes California may be quite an auto dependent state in the sense of having high rates of car use and less transit and active transportation, and that's reflected in LA's as the largest city being behind the traditionally urban east coast cities and Chicago. But metro LA is also densest and second largest metro in the US, and SF is the second densest major city in the US with both being much less auto-dominated than Miami. Every state that contains suburbs has highly auto-dependent and car-dominated areas. But not every state has the urban parts that California has.
Density does not mean a place isn't auto-dependent either. This is why I said LA is a weird mix. There is more to it than what you're saying. You have to look at demographics, average gridlock, infrastructure, local culture, tourists and seasonal populations, etc. The video touched on this briefly but didn't dive deep enough. For example, maybe since California has more gridlock, that's less time for cars to speed during the day, thus lowering chances of automobile accidents.

SoCal and Miami have a lot of similarities in how they are laid out but so different in accident rate?

We've honed in on California but what about some of the other states at a similar level like Utah, Alaska, Iowa, Nebraska, and even Colorado and Nevada? Are you telling me these states have the same large urban centers with similar densities as California? I don't think what's going on in SLC or DEN is enough to offset the rest of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
But there's PLENTY of national media noise about the shooting galleries of Chicago.
Yes the big media city gets the big media attention. Not surprising as unfair as it may be.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

Yes the big media city gets the big media attention. Not surprising as unfair as it may be.
Chicago is not "the big media city". That would be NYC.

Media is actually an area the city underperforms in, relative to its peers.

Chicago gets the most attention for violent crime in the nation because it posts the highest total murder tally year after year.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 22, 2024 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
I believe there is some deeper truth in this comment.

I have witnessed it when suburban dwellers pass an unhoused person or panhandler in the city. It could be that the visual of how some people are forced to live shatters their self-created bubble. Maybe there is some level of internal guilt they feel and want to avoid it?
I highly doubt it's this deep. Why would they feel guilt for seeing a homeless person, unless they were directly involved in their situation? They might feel empathy for what they're going through, but feel guilt? That'd be weird. Aside from aesthetics (speaking more to tent cities here), reasons I've heard why people avoid living in areas with homeless individuals include having had negative experiences (groped, accosted for money despite saying no, violent encounters, etc.). These are all valid concerns.

My wife is from a California city that has had a homeless problem for decades, and her family has told me stories of people sleeping in their car when they were about to leave in the morning (this happened several times) where they had to get them out and then wash their car before work due to the smell. Occasionally a few homeless were being strange enough while walking down the street that they watched them until they were out of sight. These situations were mostly harmless, but I can understand why someone would rather not deal with that. Although once when over there our sunroof was open and some homeless guy was trying to get into the car. I had to yell him away and then politely tell the wife not to leave her sunroof open this ain't our neighborhood lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
For a lot of people, especially women, driving around in a 3 ton SUV simply feels safer than walking around city streets totally exposed to the world. It might be irrational in a strictly mathematical sense, in the same way that the fear of flying is irrational, but feeling fearful and stressed can also impose a physical and psychological cost, so the math isn't actually that clear cut. It's easy to dismiss for us life-long urban dwellers because these are just the normal stresses of urban living, things that are supposed to toughen you up, but not everyone sees it that way.
Exactly right. Driving in an SUV can give a sense of security that walking around city streets might not, especially for women. Personal comfort and perceived safety is what it's about for them, even if the stats don’t fully support it. Feeling safe has its own value.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Feeling safe has its own value.
The "feeling safe" is a delusion, based on a mountain of lies and bizarre cultural norms.

I don't believe there's an inherent value to living life by subjective feels rather than objective reality.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:22 PM

Some of you might be interested in this, Canadian cities are booming due to our immigration rate and here are the 20 fastest growing cities between Canada and the US

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:31 PM
Back on the road again

Wow. That's shocking and surprising! Nearly a quarter million people in a single year! Blowing even DFW out of the water. I had no idea Toronto was booming like that.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Wow. That's shocking and surprising! Nearly a quarter million people in a single year! Blowing even DFW out of the water. I had no idea Toronto was booming like that.
Toronto borders a half dozen other metro areas (CMA) if you include the 2 most integrated, Hamilton and Oshawa, then than adds another 31,000 in growth so over 250K, but Toronto is just in the middle of the pack for Canadian metros in terms of percentage growth.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:01 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Lol you did. It was no different than the one you made.

Density does not mean a place isn't auto-dependent either. This is why I said LA is a weird mix. There is more to it than what you're saying. You have to look at demographics, average gridlock, infrastructure, local culture, tourists and seasonal populations, etc. The video touched on this briefly but didn't dive deep enough. For example, maybe since California has more gridlock, that's less time for cars to speed during the day, thus lowering chances of automobile accidents.

SoCal and Miami have a lot of similarities in how they are laid out but so different in accident rate?

We've honed in on California but what about some of the other states at a similar level like Utah, Alaska, Iowa, Nebraska, and even Colorado and Nevada? Are you telling me these states have the same large urban centers with similar densities as California? I don't think what's going on in SLC or DEN is enough to offset the rest of the state.
There's more to auto-dominance than "layout". Things like the speed limit and enforcement, avergae traffic speed (obviously congestion plays a role in that) other traffic laws and enforcement such as yielding to pedestrians, lane widths, the prevalence of "slip lanes" at intersections, the prevalence of other road users (which improves driver awareness) etc. But we don't need that fine of detail when the trend line is this clear. While there are minor variations with some data points fitting the correlation better than others, there are no major outliers. But yes I get it. Sometimes people can be very invested in proving or disproving a particular conclusion because of what the implications mean for them. And for some people no amount of data will change their mind.

But for those who are open to the data the video I posted isn't the only source. It's simply the easiest, most accessible source for this type of setting as a casual, non-academic web forum. But you can also see stuff like this article which shows that the vast majority of traffic fatalities in the city of Toronto, which contains both urban and suburban parts, are in the suburban parts. Or this academic study which shows a clear connection between sprawl and traffic injuries. It states that, "Controlling for covariates, we find that sprawl is associated with significantly higher direct and indirect effects on fatal crash rates. The direct effect is likely due to the higher traffic speeds in sprawling areas, and the indirect effect is due to greater vehicle miles driven in such areas. Or this study from about a decade earlier which found that, "For every 1% increase in the index (i.e., more compact, less sprawl), all-mode traffic fatality rates fell by 1.49% (P < .001) and pedestrian fatality rates fell by 1.47% to 3.56%, after adjustment for pedestrian exposure (P < .001)." and concludes that, "Urban sprawl was directly related to traffic fatalities and pedestrian fatalities. Subsequent studies should investigate relationships at a finer geographic scale and should strive to improve on the measure of exposure used to adjust pedestrian fatality rates."

While there are other factors that obviously affect traffic fatality and injury rates, it's been firmly established that the risk is much higher in suburban areas than in their urban counterparts. And it isn't hard to see that the comparative rate of traffic harm creates a risk higher than that posed by crime in many urban places which is the only reason the topic came up.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:06 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Some of you might be interested in this, Canadian cities are booming due to our immigration rate and here are the 20 fastest growing cities between Canada and the US

If this is relying on ACS data then it doesn't include any asylum seekers on top of the fact that it's historically shit data.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
If this is relying on ACS data then it doesn't include any asylum seekers on top of the fact that it's historically shit data.
The Census Bureau Population Estimates program is different from ACS. However, I'm not entirely sure how asylum seekers are counted.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Toronto borders a half dozen other metro areas (CMA) if you include the 2 most integrated, Hamilton and Oshawa, then than adds another 31,000 in growth so over 250K, but Toronto is just in the middle of the pack for Canadian metros in terms of percentage growth.

I really struggle to believe this. Obviously Canadian cities are growing, perhaps faster than ever, but shouldn't this reflect in the # of building permits? StatsCan has high permit numbers but nothing that would justify population growth like this, unless of course people were living in 1bd condo's with 9 other people. Something seems strange here, particularly since many of their past estimates have proven to be wildly optimistic.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
IStatsCan has high permit numbers but nothing that would justify population growth like this, unless of course people were living in 1bd condo's with 9 other people. Something seems strange here, particularly since many of their past estimates have proven to be wildly optimistic.
Canada really has been recording massive, unprecedented immigration. It's heavily "college" students tho, so the market may be able to absorb the inflow without needing lots of new housing. You likely have lots of newcomers just stuffed into extra rooms and the like.

And my in-laws, who have family in Toronto and Ottawa, live as you describe. Three generations in one condo or SFH. When a brother or cousin arrives from the former country, they stay in the same unit, sometimes for years.

I think the immigration policies are somewhat downshifting, so probably more of a post-pandemic surge than some fundamental change.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The "feeling safe" is a delusion, based on a mountain of lies and bizarre cultural norms.

I don't believe there's an inherent value to living life by subjective feels rather than objective reality.
And now it fueled by fake news and sponsored by alt-right planting divisiviness on society. Not good times.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Canada really has been recording massive, unprecedented immigration. It's heavily "college" students tho, so the market may be able to absorb the inflow without needing lots of new housing. You likely have lots of newcomers just stuffed into extra rooms and the like.

And my in-laws, who have family in Toronto and Ottawa, live as you describe. Three generations in one condo or SFH. When a brother or cousin arrives from the former country, they stay in the same unit, sometimes for years.

I think the immigration policies are somewhat downshifting, so probably more of a post-pandemic surge than some fundamental change.
For sure, Canadian cities are booming. But I just struggle to believe the numbers listed. For instance, the last couple of years immigration has increased significantly https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-canada/ but it was already high. Going from an average of 275k per year to 480 is a massive increase, but really a difference of 205k per year.

That difference is divided amongst the whole country. Apparently Toronto growth went from ~60k per year (2016-2021 census) to over 200k itself? Well that would take up 140k of those 205k new immigrants. Calgary metro went from ~25k population increase in the last census to 97k? Same with Vancouver, Montreal, etc.

Its obvious that Canadian cities are growing, vibrant places. I'm fortunate enough to get to travel there a couple of times per year. But this estimate is a stretch.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
For sure, Canadian cities are booming. But I just struggle to believe the numbers listed. For instance, the last couple of years immigration has increased significantly https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-canada/ but it was already high. Going from an average of 275k per year to 480 is a massive increase, but really a difference of 205k per year.

That difference is divided amongst the whole country. Apparently Toronto growth went from ~60k per year (2016-2021 census) to over 200k itself? Well that would take up 140k of those 205k new immigrants. Calgary metro went from ~25k population increase in the last census to 97k? Same with Vancouver, Montreal, etc.

Its obvious that Canadian cities are growing, vibrant places. I'm fortunate enough to get to travel there a couple of times per year. But this estimate is a stretch.
for 2 years (2020, 2021) people who were granted permeant residence could not come into Canada until 2022 and 2023 so it's basically 4 years of immigrants came into Canada in 2 years

Canada also takes in temporary workers and students some of which may become immigrants or permanent residences in the future if they stay. around 500K to 800K of these people came in every year since the end of covid. The government is planning on clamping down on the temporary workers and students but that would really change much until 2025.

what it comes down to is that for the last 2 years and this year over 1 to 1.4 million people a year move to Canada.

The population growth and internal migration is pushing growths to all corners of the country and places which previous had low growth now have high growth as well.
virtually every city and provinces are seeming record growth numbers.

Canada is one of the few countries where the median age is actually falling because of so many young people are moving here.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 5:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It may that there is an undercount for the US numbers but the numbers for Canada are definitely pretty accurate and may even be a bit undercounted themselves.

The floodgates are open up here and have been for a while.

Canada's population is actually growing similarly to high growth African countries like Sudan.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It may that there is an undercount for the US numbers but the numbers for Canada are definitely pretty accurate and may even be a bit undercounted themselves.

Canada's population is actually growing similarly to high growth African countries like Sudan.
If I recall correctly, we’re beating Niger and Burundi (by a hair), but are getting beaten by Syria and South Sudan (also by a hair).

(“Our peer countries”, as several of us like to say nowadays )

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I suppose we will see, but I’m highly skeptical that these numbers are anywhere near being true. Look at the building permit numbers, they’re high but not nearly highly enough to support this level of growth. Also the math on immigration doesn’t support this either.

Anecdotally, most Canadian cities I’ve been too have been growing fast for years. Look at the recent growth reported at the census, is Calgary or Vancouver really growing at 3-5x faster than their historic average from the last census? Sure doesn’t seem like it to me. Maybe faster, but that much faster doesn’t pass the sniff test. At the end of the day, it’s an estimate though. And estimates tend to be a best guess so I suppose we will see in 2026.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 12:53 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If I recall correctly, we’re beating Niger and Burundi (by a hair), but are getting beaten by Syria and South Sudan (also by a hair).

(“Our peer countries”, as several of us like to say nowadays )
Its something, very impressive growth but if you guys one day eclipse Nigeria rates, I will assume that Canada's favorite coffee, Tim Hortons, has been laced with Tadalafil infused cocoa beans from the Island of Love via some guy called Doctor Heart who runs his own brewing operation using non-CCOHS approved containers.

Lots going on. One has to wonder though if there are any estimates on a slow down, if say services can't keep up. For real though, eventually, all those people will strain the system, if not already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions