HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Smokin Guns if you're near the airport, Joe's KC in Midtown (in a gas station I think. Still regarded locally as very good), or try Q39 or Bryant's.

Passed through a couple of years ago, those were some recommendations plus some newer ones. I ended up at Smokin Guns and loved it.
Went to Arthur Bryant's last night and it was real good. 4 of us ordered 4 pounds of different kind of meat. So good!! Tonight I believe we are hitting a steakhouse. Then tomorrow off to Cincinnati

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 3:38 PM

For lease signs at the former Danny and Bucks on Ellice have been down for some time now. Construction activity has also been occurring. Sadly looks like a retail conversion as I have seen a Hakim vehicle parked at that site on several occasions now.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
For lease signs at the former Danny and Bucks on Ellice have been down for some time now. Construction activity has also been occurring. Sadly looks like a retail conversion as I have seen a Hakim vehicle parked at that site on several occasions now.
restaurants at that location have always seemed to struggle. Grapes, Hu's, Danny Bucks, ...others

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 9:26 PM

I tried La Carnita which opened late last week. It is a Mexican restaurant that took over the old Fox and Fiddle space on Main Street. Their concept is a take on Mexican street food.

I went there for lunch and enjoyed it. The menu is somewhat limited. It features a few side dishes and various types of tacos. There was a drink menu, but I didn't take a very close look at it.

I tried the lunch special which costs $16. Individual prices for tacos are from $5.25 and up, most sides are in the $4-$9 range. You get an appetizer, two tacos and a dessert item. The tacos are not very big, but they do contain a fair amount of meat. I tried the chicken and I also tried the steak tacos. The chicken is good, it is comprised of small pieces of fried chicken. The steak was really good. It has a fair amount of spice to it, but it isn't too hot. Very flavourful. According to the waitress, the most popular type of taco features cod. I hate fish, so I will leave that one for the rest of you. My side was tortilla chips. They are clearly not from a bag. I thought they were good. They have other side items like roasted corn. The desserts are a small churro or Paletas. I tried the key lime pelata. It was fantastic. Never had one before. About the same size and shape as a revel. Frozen ice/fruit mixture. Looks like ice cream, but with a drier texture. There are a few flavours to pick from.

I expect I will be back. My biggest complaint is a holdover from when it was Fox and Fiddle. There is a lot of marble in the space and it tends to bounce sound around. They play music there and I found that it made it hard to hold a conversation with my friends.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 9:30 PM

^ Thanks for the review, I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
restaurants at that location have always seemed to struggle. Grapes, Hu's, Danny Bucks, ...others
The Grapes was there for quite a while... that one seemed to do OK. The rest, not so much. Every time I went into Danny's Whole Hog it was nearly empty.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 6:11 PM

La Carnita is great. Food is good. Simple, well-executed menu and they will do lots of cool arts-related events. Most restaurants are loud these days - adding in all the plants and canvas paintings will help compared to Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Grapes was there for quite a while... that one seemed to do OK. The rest, not so much. Every time I went into Danny's Whole Hog it was nearly empty.
To be fair, Grapes was there at a time where there wasn't a ton of great restaurants in the city, and not many at all in that area. It closed before Chop, Joey, Tony Romas.. etc. Don't even think Montana's and Kelsey's were open then (not advocating those are good, but they exist lol). There was really nowhere else to go before.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 12:26 PM

Had lunch at Tipsy Cow on Friday. Decent burger and fries. The place was packed which resulted in waiting quite a long time for my order. So, as long as you are not in a rush check it out and go early.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 1:43 PM

Good article in La Liberte about two young guys studying business at USB, one from Belgium and one from Paris. They became taken with Winnipeg and the Exchange District, and after two years of research in Europe and hard work in general opened Cordova on Albert st. I love hearing stories like this. I'm going to go there (even though I don't really like tapas). Really hope they make it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
Had lunch at Tipsy Cow on Friday. Decent burger and fries. The place was packed which resulted in waiting quite a long time for my order. So, as long as you are not in a rush check it out and go early.
Great to hear 👍

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Good article in La Liberte about two young guys studying business at USB, one from Belgium and one from Paris. They became taken with Winnipeg and the Exchange District, and after two years of research in Europe and hard work in general opened Cordova on Albert st. I love hearing stories like this. I'm going to go there (even though I don't really like tapas). Really hope they make it.
Agreed. Needless to say, the area needs more residents and people working there.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:22 AM

Satay Express Vietnamese at CF Polo Park Is Now Open

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
La Carnita is great. Food is good. Simple, well-executed menu and they will do lots of cool arts-related events. Most restaurants are loud these days - adding in all the plants and canvas paintings will help compared to Fox.
Went their last week also...

Was actually hugely impressed with the tacos... Suuuuper tender and flavourful. Going back for sure.
Quote:
Don't like Tapas...?

It's just food... unless you're talking about price. They can get expensive, unless you have enough people along.

I was in Montreal with friends a while back and one refused to go to a "Brasserie"... he said "I had a bad experience at a Brasserie, so they're off my list. Brasseries suck"

The rest of us enjoyed explaining to him that it's just a loose synonym for restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:05 PM

^ I'm not a huge fan of tapas myself... it's more than just 'food', it's a manner of eating. Tapas is fine if you're out for drinks and just want to have something to nibble on, but I generally find it unsatisfying as a meal.

The only place I'll happily make an exception to that is Segovia because it's just that good.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Satay Express Vietnamese at CF Polo Park Is Now Open
if its halfway decent, I could see that being my go-to food there on my occasional visits.

It went into the Arbys? Are any Arbys left in Wpg?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure towards the tail end The Grapes on Ellice was competing against Tony Roma's (old Earl's location), Montana's, Kelsey's, Boston Pizza, and maybe even Joey's and Moxie's. Say what you want about the some of those chains in terms of "quality" but that they are successful speaks volumes as someone must be eating there.

One of the negative comments I saw about Danny and Bucks was they presented as a southern style BBQ place (aka smokehouse) that had no on-site smoker. That turned off a good chunk of their audience. That Winnipeg has long had very few southern style bbq places and others that have opened have failed or moved away from that focus also speaks volumes of the interest here in that type of food.

--

In terms of Satay Express Vietnamese at Polo, a quick search seems to suggest it is a chain but a rare one that is not yet part of the MYT Group.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Pretty sure towards the tail end The Grapes on Ellice was competing against Tony Roma's (old Earl's location), Montana's, Kelsey's, Boston Pizza, and maybe even Joey's and Moxie's. Say what you want about the some of those chains in terms of "quality" but that they are successful speaks volumes as someone must be eating there.
For sure. What I meant was that Grapes seemed capable of drawing a crowd but its successors in that location weren't quite as busy.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
^ I'm not a huge fan of tapas myself... it's more than just 'food', it's a manner of eating. Tapas is fine if you're out for drinks and just want to have something to nibble on, but I generally find it unsatisfying as a meal.

The only place I'll happily make an exception to that is Segovia because it's just that good.
this. it is upscale bar food. usually coupled with overpriced drinks.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:
this. it is upscale bar food. usually coupled with overpriced drinks.
Well, upscale is right. If done right, it's delicious. I don't like shitty tapas. That wouldn't make sense.

As far as drinks, man, I'll take on $12 cocktail at segovia over 3 budlights for $4.50. The craft put into those "overpriced" drinks is desperately needed in this city, where people think rickards red is upscale.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
if its halfway decent, I could see that being my go-to food there on my occasional visits.

It went into the Arbys? Are any Arbys left in Wpg?
The Arby's web site shows the one in Kildonan Place as still open.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Well, upscale is right. If done right, it's delicious. I don't like shitty tapas. That wouldn't make sense.

As far as drinks, man, I'll take on $12 cocktail at segovia over 3 budlights for $4.50. The craft put into those "overpriced" drinks is desperately needed in this city, where people think rickards red is upscale.
a sorely need craft? That's what makes a horserace..different opinions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan