HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 11:33 PM

Random pics:

American Revolution Museum:
[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

1701 South St - wrapping up:
[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Random new additions/rehabs in Graduate Hospital and Bella Vista (tons of them everywhere - just a few):

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:44 PM

One of the most welcome renovations in West Philly (I'm excluding "University City" and writing specifically about West Philly)...

51st & Walnut from Google Street view:

51st & Walnut from last night:

It's been a slow project, but it's making a big impact on the area.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post

I just vomited in my mouth. What a cheap and shady looking rehab.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 10:20 AM

Logan renovation, less than a month to go....
012 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

014 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Three Parkway lobby remodel:
016 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 12:38 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Logan renovation, less than a month to go....
012 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

014 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr
"Hello? Yes, I'm sorry to inform you your reservation for November cannot be honored. You can expect brunch vouchers in the mail."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 1:06 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

FRANKFORDIAN (2008 Frankford Ave.)

Nice little project here. Two story commercial space + 7 condos. It's important that we develop commercial properties too. The residential development seems a bit over saturated at the moment. Especially since developers are demoing old businesses and commercial spaces and replacing them with residential. I would like to see more projects like this.

Source

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
It's the 5100 block. You expecting a rehab with units that will rent for $1200 a month? This is a building that has had every window missing for the last 5 years.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
It's the 5100 block. You expecting a rehab with units that will rent for $1200 a month? This is a building that has had every window missing for the last 5 years.
There's room for nuance here:

It's good that someone has decided to invest in the property.

But that really is an awful, cheap looking job.

It's the kind of "renovation" that likely won't stand the test of time, in my opinion: if the quality is as cheap as it looks, it may well return to decrepitude before too many years have passed. Hopefully by then, the rest of the neighborhood will have improved enough for someone to want to spend more money on that one to do a nicer job.

I guess you have to take it for what it is: a placeholder. It's better than a collapsing derelict fire hazard, but it is nothing for the ages either.

As an aside, given that the building quality in West Philly west of 50th Street really drops off steeply, I wonder about the likelihood of eventual gentrification west of 52nd St. Seems slim to me. I'd say the same thing for any of the many neighborhoods with those two story bay window interwar row houses. In addition to often being even more stuffy and cramped, they lack the character of the 19th and very early 20th century rowhouses, even the small ones, in older parts of North Philadelphia and closer to Center City. I'd love to be totally off target though (as usual).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
One of the most welcome renovations in West Philly (I'm excluding "University City" and writing specifically about West Philly)...

Wow, things really need to be taken into context. For the area, this project is great and a major improvement over its predecessor. Not everything needs to have the utmost quality materials to be an upgrade, as some people on here seem to think.

Last edited by jjv007; Oct 29, 2015 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It doesn't look bad in person (just stopped at that light this morning) and looks better than most of what surrounds it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
It's the 5100 block. You expecting a rehab with units that will rent for $1200 a month?
Actually, yes. This is one block behind it: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent...32_rect/18_zm/

All things told, I'm glad there are investments in the area. But this is rehab looks to be covering up the character of the building. I imagine in 20 years when this area is vastly improved and someone does a rehab to make it look as the building was intended, we will all be wondering why they covered up all of the original detail in the first place.

Also, look at the rehab directly across Walnut on Google Street View today and years back. Looks to be a similar building, albeit was never as blighted. Either way, not a huge deal, and I'm sure it will be fixable in the future when there is more investment in that area.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
You should introduce yourself to something known as "perspective." This is 51st and Walnut, not 19th and Walnut.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
There's room for nuance here:

It's good that someone has decided to invest in the property.

But that really is an awful, cheap looking job.

It's the kind of "renovation" that likely won't stand the test of time, in my opinion: if the quality is as cheap as it looks, it may well return to decrepitude before too many years have passed. Hopefully by then, the rest of the neighborhood will have improved enough for someone to want to spend more money on that one to do a nicer job.

I guess you have to take it for what it is: a placeholder. It's better than a collapsing derelict fire hazard, but it is nothing for the ages either.

As an aside, given that the building quality in West Philly west of 50th Street really drops off steeply, I wonder about the likelihood of eventual gentrification west of 52nd St. Seems slim to me. I'd say the same thing for any of the many neighborhoods with those two story bay window interwar row houses. In addition to often being even more stuffy and cramped, they lack the character of the 19th and very early 20th century rowhouses, even the small ones, in older parts of North Philadelphia and closer to Center City. I'd love to be totally off target though (as usual).
Well said. And as someone who has lived on 51st Street since 2008, I do not see gentrification ever spreading across 52nd Street. It is an absolute boundary line that I have rarely crossed on foot in over 7 years. The changes in my neighborhood over these years has been slow but steady, but only within certain areas along and east of 52nd Street. Keep a close eye on the buildings and land at 47th and Market, as that entire block is ripe for development as the police headquarter renovations continue to progress.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 10:41 PM

22nd and Lombard:

[IMG]Untitled

^^^
$2 mil homes underway (3 of them).
------------------------------

1100 Chestnut continues:
[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

18th Market - Sonesta -they got their mural and now Ruth's Chris signs up -
[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:04 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschico View Post
Well said. And as someone who has lived on 51st Street since 2008, I do not see gentrification ever spreading across 52nd Street. It is an absolute boundary line that I have rarely crossed on foot in over 7 years. The changes in my neighborhood over these years has been slow but steady, but only within certain areas along and east of 52nd Street. Keep a close eye on the buildings and land at 47th and Market, as that entire block is ripe for development as the police headquarter renovations continue to progress.
This is the sort of comment that makes me think the 52nd Street area will look totally different in ten years.

Partly because it's already percolating, partly because the hardest psychological divides are often the most brittle, partly because West Philly houses feel rather more spacious than South Philly ones, and partly because outward spread of affluence is a response to increasing affluence in the core...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
This is the sort of comment that makes me think the 52nd Street area will look totally different in ten years.

Partly because it's already percolating, partly because the hardest psychological divides are often the most brittle, partly because West Philly houses feel rather more spacious than South Philly ones, and partly because outward spread of affluence is a response to increasing affluence in the core...
This.

I have a good friend in NYC who buys apartment buildings in Philly. He just bought his first building west of 50th Street, on 52nd to be exact. He is by no means a slumlord and spends good money on his buildings, generally upgrading them from the condition he buys them in. He's even reading the market in West Philly and upgrading many of his older buildings (closer in) with Central Air, etc, which is not an insignificant expense for an old multi-unit building, because he knows he is competing with new construction.

In addition, I have been looking myself for another property in Philly. I work in NYC and got tired of leaving my house in Philly vacant with the exception of weekends so I rented it out. But...I'm still in town enough that I can justify the mortgage on a fixer in lieu of spending money on hotels, etc.

I have been focused on Grays Ferry, Kensington, and far West Philly.

I've been outbid on two houses in West Philly. One at 56th and Washington and another at 54th & Chester. There are beautiful in tact blocks in Cobbs Creek and I suspect it will indeed gentrify not just because the homes are bigger than they are in South Philly (and thus can accomodate families and/or roommate situations) but also because they're generally in pretty good repair.

Much of Cobbs Creek never really stopped being middle class and thus many of the homes have been well-maintained though not necessarily modernized. Even better, many of them have benefitted from owners who have left the 1920s details in tact. Thus, they are time capsules just waiting for some polish and the right owners with a few bucks in the bank. In West Philly, you also have the advantage of residents who are invested in the elementary schools. It is obvious that Penn Sadie is great...but it also seems as though Powell has reached a tipping point where middle and upper middle class residents think it is a real alternative to Penn Sadie. Add to that Lea which seems close to that tipping point and the new elementary school that Drexel is proposing for the uCity development by Wexford and you're going to have a critical mass of good/acceptable public schools. The point being, as those catchments get more expensive, it will only spread to the adjacent catchments due west and north.

Those are my two cents. I was somebody who would have never looked out there but here I am, looking out there. When I can jump on a trolley at 56th & Baltimore and be at 13th&Market in under 20 minutes, it's simply a matter of time.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This.

I have a good friend in NYC who buys apartment buildings in Philly. He just bought his first building west of 50th Street, on 52nd to be exact. He is by no means a slumlord and spends good money on his buildings, generally upgrading them from the condition he buys them in. He's even reading the market in West Philly and upgrading many of his older buildings (closer in) with Central Air, etc, which is not an insignificant expense for an old multi-unit building, because he knows he is competing with new construction.

In addition, I have been looking myself for another property in Philly. I work in NYC and got tired of leaving my house in Philly vacant with the exception of weekends so I rented it out. But...I'm still in town enough that I can justify the mortgage on a fixer in lieu of spending money on hotels, etc.

I have been focused on Grays Ferry, Kensington, and far West Philly.

I've been outbid on two houses in West Philly. One at 56th and Washington and another at 54th & Chester. There are beautiful in tact blocks in Cobbs Creek and I suspect it will indeed gentrify not just because the homes are bigger than they are in South Philly (and thus can accomodate families and/or roommate situations) but also because they're generally in pretty good repair.

Much of Cobbs Creek never really stopped being middle class and thus many of the homes have been well-maintained though not necessarily modernized. Even better, many of them have benefitted from owners who have left the 1920s details in tact. Thus, they are time capsules just waiting for some polish and the right owners with a few bucks in the bank. In West Philly, you also have the advantage of residents who are invested in the elementary schools. It is obvious that Penn Sadie is great...but it also seems as though Powell has reached a tipping point where middle and upper middle class residents think it is a real alternative to Penn Sadie. Add to that Lea which seems close to that tipping point and the new elementary school that Drexel is proposing for the uCity development by Wexford and you're going to have a critical mass of good/acceptable public schools. The point being, as those catchments get more expensive, it will only spread to the adjacent catchments due west and north.

Those are my two cents. I was somebody who would have never looked out there but here I am, looking out there. When I can jump on a trolley at 56th & Baltimore and be at 13th&Market in under 20 minutes, it's simply a matter of time.
Agreed. It's inconceivable that main thoroughfares between the increasingly affluent Center/U.City and the steadily affluent Main Line (such as Lancaster, Walnut and Chestnut) and adjacent areas will remain as a blighted hole in the donut.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:47 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:

Except for the three years that I lived in Francisville I've been a West Philadelphia resident my entire life. I've lived three blocks from that building for a couple of years now and have seen the progress every day when I get off of my bus. This area has changed in ways that were really impossible to envision when I was a kid. The idea that 52nd Street will never be crossed is faulty in my mind - there is entirely too much real estate ripe for the picking there but it's going to concentrate a lot closer to Market Street. Many of the blocks south, though not wealthy, are relatively stable for the time being. A decade or two from now when a lot of the owner-occupied homes begin coming to market as current owners move out/pass on things might start looking different.

I wrote a short piece about 52nd Street's changes specifically for Hidden City a while back.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Agreed. It's inconceivable that main thoroughfares between the increasingly affluent Center/U.City and the steadily affluent Main Line (such as Lancaster, Walnut and Chestnut) and adjacent areas will remain as a blighted hole in the donut.
Agree with this. But where are the poor going to go? Because significant portions of the city will gentrify long before we ever solve the problem of poverty. Which is probably impossible to solve. Poverty will always exist in lesser or greater degrees.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:29 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development