HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 3:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLYNY View Post
Not long to go!

It appears that there is only one 'taller' or two 'shorter' levels of steel left to go, and it can be seen that the levels of steel making up the final section are not entirely consistent in height. Perhaps someone with an up-to-date understanding of the steel frame may know more?

That shows how much is left before we reach our final height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That shows how much is left before we reach our final height.
Yeah, that is what I was trying to demonstrate, and in fairness the photograph I used is a little old.

Here's an up-to-date view from Long Island City Feb 10th. Can't wait for the next level of cladding to rise - It will really make the building start to stand out against the sky.

Source

TKDV over on the NY YIMBY suggests that it appears they could be finishing out work on levels 59 and 60 before installing the upper steel sections.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 4:42 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Forgive me if this has been asked before but does anyone know from the construction docs if the final diamond (rhombus) there will be a perfect square turned 45 degrees? It looks like it is so assumed as much.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 4:46 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Also has anyone else wondered if Chase plans to hang their iconic logomark inside this diamond? Seems like it would be a good fit and would look pretty damn cool on the skyline IMO:

_

_

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 5:00 PM

^Wow I hadn't thought of that.

I agree, although it doesn't appear in the official renders, it would look awesome if done tastefully. As long as it fits the colour scheme and reflects the design of the overall lighting. I'm not sure how good it would look in the 'Chase logo' blue tho.

It could even end up resembling 4 Times Square in that sense.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Also has anyone else wondered if Chase plans to hang their iconic logomark inside this diamond? Seems like it would be a good fit and would look pretty damn cool on the skyline IMO:

I've thrown together a quick edit of what that might look like, take a look! I know its not perfect but does the job. We really need someone like Xing Lin on the case!

Source

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 6:04 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

That looks awesome! But I think some would say probably too big... a little too close to an Eye of Sauron vibe. If the sign was idk 25-30% smaller - like a space of twice the width of the diagonal cross bracing to the edge of the sign - that might be a better more subtle balance. And now just imagine if it was slowly animated like the gif above. That would look pretty damn Blade Runner on the nighttime skyline.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
That looks awesome! But I think some would say probably too big... a little too close to an Eye of Sauron vibe. If the sign was idk 25-30% smaller - like a space of twice the width of the diagonal cross bracing to the edge of the sign - that might be a better more subtle balance. And now just imagine if it was slowly animated like the gif above. That would look pretty damn Blade Runner on the nighttime skyline.
Definitely, I was getting Eye of Sauron vibes while making it for sure. I've shrunk it down and it looks a little more balanced now, so I think you were right on it being too big.

Although I'm not sure how it would integrate with the most up-to-date official renders... Still, nice idea! I can't wait to see this lit up next to one vandy!

Source

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 7:54 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

^Lookin good

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 8:59 PM

lol nope

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 9:22 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

_

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 9:23 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
lol nope
Thanks for your input.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 9:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLYNY View Post
Yeah, that is what I was trying to demonstrate, and in fairness the photograph I used is a little old.
Both images shown are at the same height. They may finish it off this week, there really isn't much more to go.

As far as logo or signage goes, the City doesn't allow that sort of thing anymore.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 10, 2024 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 9:38 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Huh?

How are 1&2MW or 1 Penn getting away with programable lighting/signage then?

Please point me to the text of this city regulation.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 9:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Huh?

How are 1&2MW or 1 Penn getting away with programable lighting/signage then?

Please point me to the text of this city regulation.

Lighting is different from signage. Buildings that already had signage were grandfathered in.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 9:52 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Even if you can't find the exact code or regulatory language that's okay because I have a feeling if JPMC wanted a sign they would get a sign. That variance couldn't get approved fast enough.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 10:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Even if you can't find the exact code or regulatory language that's okay because I have a feeling if JPMC wanted a sign they would get a sign. That variance couldn't get approved fast enough.
I don't think the city would bend for that. There are just too many corporations who would want the same thing. The irony is that the city could sell that right if it wanted to, they kind of do that with vanity addresses. And companies are spending a lot of money already just for the right to build.

AC365

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 10:25 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

I would really like to read the exact sign regulatory language if you know where to find it or can post it. What year did this change occur? When the NBC/Comcast sign replaced the GE sign (which subsequently replaced the RCA sign) at the top of Rockefeller Center wouldn't that have triggered the regulation or was it permanently grandfathered? Same for MetLife.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I would really like to read the exact sign regulatory language if you know where to find it or can post it. What year did this change occur? When the NBC/Comcast sign replaced the GE sign (which subsequently replaced the RCA sign) at the top of Rockefeller Center wouldn't that have triggered the regulation or was it permanently grandfathered? Same for MetLife.
I believe it refers to Article 3 of the NYC Zoning laws, in this case specifically under Commercial District Regulations, sections 32-60 on 'sign regulations'. Though I may be wrong.

Quote:
Both images shown are at the same height. They may finish it off this week, there really isn't much more to go.
I am aware, I just thought to include the up-to-date image as some steel was added between photos.

You're still absolutely right though, it's so close to topping out!

Quote:
I don't think the city would bend for that. There are just too many corporations who would want the same thing. The irony is that the city could sell that right if it wanted to, they kind of do that with vanity addresses. And companies are spending a lot of money already just for the right to build.
I agree, and I think the ‘exclusivity’ surrounding development in the city only fuels competition to undertake the latest and greatest projects like One Vanderbilt, the billionaires row developments, Hudson Yards, now 270 Park, and soon to be many more.

Last edited by SamLYNY; Feb 10, 2024 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added reply

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 11:41 PM
クラブトクヨ

This is by far my favorite new skyscraper in the world. It's just so elegant, modern, detailed. Love everything about it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction