HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Mens World Cup? NASL team?
I can't imagine a scenario that would play out where Canada would host a Men's world cup and I don't think NASL is considered top-flight.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:26 PM

I think we were sold a bill of goods about the roof not casting harsh shadows. I can see no discernible difference between the shadows cast by the solid portions of the roof and the PTFE portions. Perhaps the diffused light that comes though brightens the whole area and I am just not perceiving that on the webcam.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:33 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Mens World Cup? NASL team?
I'm sure there would be actual grass thrown in for a Men's world cup... They tend to make a big deal about that in the final tournament.

Regarding the roof... I don't think it's stretched yet so that could affect things? Also, it's rounded in such a way that it wouldn't really create shadows on the field. By the time it would/the LEDs will be more than enough to even out the lighting and brighten the field.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
I can't imagine a scenario that would play out where Canada would host a Men's world cup and I don't think NASL is considered top-flight.
Canada announced they're going to put in a bid for it years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada..._World_Cup_bid

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Canada announced they're going to put in a bid for it years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada..._World_Cup_bid
If Canada gets the 2026 WC, I'm sure the bid committee will happily kick in for a new rug, which will be almost perfect timing for a replacement.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think we were sold a bill of goods about the roof not casting harsh shadows. I can see no discernible difference between the shadows cast by the solid portions of the roof and the PTFE portions. Perhaps the diffused light that comes though brightens the whole area and I am just not perceiving that on the webcam.
Yeah, I don't think the roof is going to be as translucent as people imagined. You'd need it to be very, very translucent for it to not case a hard shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Regarding the roof... I don't think it's stretched yet so that could affect things? Also, it's rounded in such a way that it wouldn't really create shadows on the field. By the time it would/the LEDs will be more than enough to even out the lighting and brighten the field.
LED lighting will not be enough to counter sunlight. Most people don't realize, but sunlight is hundreds to thousands of times stronger than conventional lighting, even professional stadium lighting. During the daytime if there is sun on one part of the field and not the other, then there is no way to prevent that shadow from being visible. I don't know if that will be an actual problem though (as it looks likely that the shadow will be across the field almost all of the time if the game is in the evening). But afternoon games will likely see hard shadows in play.

The Colts' stadium in the NFL is an example of lack of forward-thinking regarding shadows (to the point where they just leave it closed now most of the time because it's too hard for TV viewers to follow the play). In person it's not as bad because your eyes automatically adjust exposure (i.e. your iris contracts/expands) so you don't see the harsh difference when glancing back and forth from shadow to sunlight. But on TV you can't do that as the exposure is set in place, and when the entire field is shown you either have one area be far too light, or the other far too dark:

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If Canada gets the 2026 WC, I'm sure the bid committee will happily kick in for a new rug, which will be almost perfect timing for a replacement.
Yeah, West Can will get new rugs while at least one city in eastern Canada (maybe 2) will get brand new world class stadiums.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:11 PM

Looks like they are starting to disassemble the big red crawler crane inside the stadium today.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:19 PM

I thought the painted lines can be relatively easily moved around with the new turf? It wouldn't be a "welp the lines are already painted for football, sorry soccer guys", no? Say Rogers Center in Toronto. Going from baseball to football, back to baseball again within a week. They even had to deal with the baseball gravel infield situation.

On the lighting issue. It can still be rather difficult to traverse that sunlight/shadow boundary. Say throwing a pass from one to the other. Especially if you are just outside the boundary. It might throw off perception for a moment, causing the ball to smack you in the face before you see it.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Yeah, West Can will get new rugs while at least one city in eastern Canada (maybe 2) will get brand new world class stadiums.
Don't worry, it's not happening.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I thought the painted lines can be relatively easily moved around with the new turf? It wouldn't be a "welp the lines are already painted for football, sorry soccer guys", no? Say Rogers Center in Toronto. Going from baseball to football, back to baseball again within a week. They even had to deal with the baseball gravel infield situation.

On the lighting issue. It can still be rather difficult to traverse that sunlight/shadow boundary. Say throwing a pass from one to the other. Especially if you are just outside the boundary. It might throw off perception for a moment, causing the ball to smack you in the face before you see it.
The City says the new turf will have sewn in football markings.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Photos by moi

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
The City says the new turf will have sewn in football markings.
Sewn in?? Cripe. Well then, that's that.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:22 PM

Love this view. Thanks Migs

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Behind the scenes construction tour of New Mosaic Stadium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OsLSsIg5gGI

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Behind the scenes construction tour of New Mosaic Stadium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OsLSsIg5gGI
Love the opening glass in the suites. The foundation for the Maxtron is ridiculous.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Love the opening glass in the suites. The foundation for the Maxtron is ridiculous.
Something a person doesn't really put into perspective (yet)... The Maxtron height will be roughly halfway up the second deck. Envision how big this will look in the end-zone, and how it will nicely enclose the south end.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:54 AM

The Mosaic sign is going up on the west side of the stadium.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:52 PM

A recent drive-by video of the new stadium:

http://javapost.ca/news/a-drive-by-m...javas-dji-osmo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan