HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
When the original renders of the outdoor Mosaic stadium were released 3.5 - 4 years ago, I seem to remember one of the features being discussed were the ambient heat sources located throughout the stadium to mitigate against the effects of cold-weather.

Are those ambient heat sources still part of this project or were they dropped?
Dropped, although there are many heated concourses and lounges

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 2:46 AM

There are reports on other sites that the Rams play the Huskies at 2 pm on Oct 1 and the Thunder play the Hilltops at 7 pm on Oct 1. Both in Regina. Very probable that these games will be played at New Mosaic Stadium.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
There are reports on other sites that the Rams play the Huskies at 2 pm on Oct 1 and the Thunder play the Hilltops at 7 pm on Oct 1. Both in Regina. Very probable that these games will be played at New Mosaic Stadium.
I think it is highly unlikely that these two events will be played at the New Mosaic Stadium. One thing I am hearing is that any test event this year will be done during the day time only, not in the evening. That would eliminate two games in one day at the new stadium. From what I understand as well, May 24th I believe is the day that the City will be able to determine if the stadium will have progressed enough or not to have a test event on October 1st. I am hearing this from a relatively reliable resource that is close with the Rams, not the city. Take it for what it's worth.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:19 PM

End spans are going up on the west roof.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:23 PM

Yup. I was at the rams dinner and they announced a rams huskies game at nms. With the decent weather during the build, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are ahead of schedule. That's just me specula ting.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:22 PM

Structural wise they are ahead of schedule for sure, they are currently working on stairs and topping slabs on the concourse levels mainly. No idea about the rest of the facility.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:31 PM

The info that I received from a very reliable source is that the construction work required by contract will be completed by the end of August. There is still, however, a substantial amount of fit out work that is not part of the contract, mainly related to food services and other amenities. Much will depend on that work being completed in order to be able to provide a functional facility that will not sour peoples' first impression of the new facility.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Much will depend on that work being completed in order to be able to provide a functional facility that will not sour peoples' first impression of the new facility.
Well played. No one wants a repeat of the THF debacle.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:18 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
The info that I received from a very reliable source is that the construction work required by contract will be completed by the end of August. There is still, however, a substantial amount of fit out work that is not part of the contract, mainly related to food services and other amenities. Much will depend on that work being completed in order to be able to provide a functional facility that will not sour peoples' first impression of the new facility.
As long as they are completely forthright with everything (and possibly relax some rules for what can be brought into the stadium), I think most people would be quite accepting of some deficiencies with the whole "this is a test event".

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:13 PM

Having never been to a test event at a large facility like this, would they be testing things like emergency egress, fire-drill style? "Ladies and gentlemen, when we sound the fire alarm, please exit the stadium as quickly as possible. We'll signal you when it's time to return to your seats."

I know that's the kind of thing where you don't want the first "test" to happen during an actual emergency, but it's no use testing it in an empty stadium, so I was just curious about things like that. In my mind, a proper "test event" would include those things which, in the big scheme, are just as important as seeing if there are lineups for the toilets. Obviously, you'd want to communicate all that as much as possible up front so people know what to expect.

Just wondering out loud.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug123 View Post
Having never been to a test event at a large facility like this, would they be testing things like emergency egress, fire-drill style? "Ladies and gentlemen, when we sound the fire alarm, please exit the stadium as quickly as possible. We'll signal you when it's time to return to your seats."

I know that's the kind of thing where you don't want the first "test" to happen during an actual emergency, but it's no use testing it in an empty stadium, so I was just curious about things like that. In my mind, a proper "test event" would include those things which, in the big scheme, are just as important as seeing if there are lineups for the toilets. Obviously, you'd want to communicate all that as much as possible up front so people know what to expect.

Just wondering out loud.
Thats actually a good question. Logic dictates that any stadium operator should be concerned about such things, and maybe they do some kind of test or assessment during design? However, I find it hard to believe that Mosaic 1.0 could have passed any kind of test. Maybe since it is open air / open field they don't have to be worried about it?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:14 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Thats actually a good question. Logic dictates that any stadium operator should be concerned about such things, and maybe they do some kind of test or assessment during design? However, I find it hard to believe that Mosaic 1.0 could have passed any kind of test. Maybe since it is open air / open field they don't have to be worried about it?
I've actually never heard of a fire drill at a stadium.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:20 PM

Not to be a downer, but seen news come across today that the police have finally been deemed liable for the 96 deaths at Sheffield stadium in 1989. Soccer fans were crushed to death by allowing too many people into the standing room pen. I remember seeing it on the news and I was only 4 when it happened.

I have never heard of or seen any sort of emergency at a large public event. To have a fire drill makes a huge amount of sense. Or have an evacuation via field level. Where everyone in the stands needs to exit via event level. I've seen on TV where a fire alarm would go off during an NHL game. Everyone kind of looks at each other and does nothing.

It would seem if you have a game where the stadium is full with 35,000 people. End of game when everyone goes for the doors would basically be a fire drill. Maybe one game, close one entrance and direct people around another way to see what happens?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not to be a downer, but seen news come across today that the police have finally been deemed liable for the 96 deaths at Sheffield stadium in 1989. Soccer fans were crushed to death by allowing too many people into the standing room pen. I remember seeing it on the news and I was only 4 when it happened.

I have never heard of or seen any sort of emergency at a large public event. To have a fire drill makes a huge amount of sense. Or have an evacuation via field level. Where everyone in the stands needs to exit via event level. I've seen on TV where a fire alarm would go off during an NHL game. Everyone kind of looks at each other and does nothing.

It would seem if you have a game where the stadium is full with 35,000 people. End of game when everyone goes for the doors would basically be a fire drill. Maybe one game, close one entrance and direct people around another way to see what happens?
I actually think at an open air stadium many people are directed on to the field. This happened in Paris soccer stadium attack.

Here is what the RFPS says:

http://cjme.com/article/194407/how-w...m-be-evacuated

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:41 PM

The most likely scenario for an emergency evac would be a tornado or a terrorist threat/attack. New Mosaic is fully sprinklerized and mostly made of steel and concrete. The roof is steel and PTFE, which is fireproof. I can't see there ever being a fire big enough to require a full evac.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 10:45 PM

Although I don't object to it, I question the value of a fire drill at a Mosaic Stadium test event for a couple of reasons.

1) Presuming that the test event is at partial capacity (lets say 20,000 people), a crowd of that size may exit smoothly, whereas 35,000 people might be a different story. Then again if a partial crowd can't exit smoothly, we'd be screwed with a full house.
2) If there is a problem with people exiting in a fire drill, what do you do about it? It's a little late to be enlarging the egress routes.

My assumption is that these issues were taken into consideration in the design process and we're not likely to see a drill at a test event. I believe that the test event will be more of a test of the event day staff and how well they are able to provide services.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 11:01 PM

Everything you wanted to know and more about stadium evac plans:

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...20Stadiums.pdf

Last edited by Stormer; Apr 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 11:04 PM

11 new end spans up on the W roof. Also seats have started to be installed in the upper deck, NE corner.

http://www.reginarevitalization.ca/stadiumcam/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 4:16 AM

Will the PTFE roof material be stretched taut eventually? I'm not sure I like the current look of the already installed panels.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:03 PM

The PTFE won't be fully stretched until it has had enough exposure to sunlight to facilitate expansion of the material. If they were to stretch it before they did this, it would sag by the middle of summer. Once stretched, they will glue the seams together with an industrial adhesive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan