HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Not much longer I hear. My sources finally caved this am.
your "sources" are liars

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
your "sources" are liars
I love the internet. Full of people who claim to have sources but don't.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:57 PM

This was posted in Crain's a couple of days ago, and it looks like they plan to break ground during autumn. Worth a read for all the interesting tidbits in this article, especially about how the development in West Loop being an major reason for the development to occur.

A bold plan for reviving 'desolate' part of East Garfield Park
Quote:
A pair of neophyte developers hopes to break ground in the fall on the first phase of a planned 114 apartments they believe can spur revival of a long-depressed part of the East Garfield Park neighborhood.
"We have to start somewhere with reviving this neighborhood," Hibbler said. The first phase would include 24 apartments in several small buildings, all with first-floor retail.

The complete proposal, which would happen in three phases, includes 114 apartments, most of them above street-level retail and commercial space, as well as a technology incubator, a performing arts center and an art gallery. In all, it would include space for about 50 new businesses, Hibbler said.

The project, also known as Rebirth Garfield Park, would all be built on now-vacant lots, some privately owned and some held by the Cook County Land Bank, in the 2800 block of West Madison Street (between California and Francisco avenues) and on the 2800 block of West Fifth Avenue.

Design businesses, including tech design businesses, would be the target tenants of the commercial space, Hibbler said, and the entrepreneurs behind them would be a key target audience for the apartments.
The $30 million first phase of the project, which would include 24 apartments with retail space below, is being funded by investors, Hibbler said. She declined to identify them but said they are prepared to invest in the entire $100 million, three-phase development project. The architect designing the buildings is Karl Guider, whose firm, Guider Group, is based in the Belmont-Cragin neighborhood.
"The city is finally coming west," Bezanes said. The heat in the West Loop is emanating in that direction, and as a result, he said, "my clients who used to get one call a year about their land are getting half a dozen calls a year. In the next few years, you should really see some action." He represents a half-acre parcel on the 2900 bock of Madison, just west of the Design District area, that has been for sale since 2010, priced since early 2017 at $499,000.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/resid...-garfield-park

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:13 PM
TL;DR

I'll believe it when I see it. Where is the money coming from? Did they get a bank to finance this? I mean, I know the West Loop boom is intoxicating to us real estate types, but damn... this is a LONG way west of Ashland and has a serious violent crime problem.

Also, why does East Garfield Park keep getting saddled with such hideous pastel architecture?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:57 PM

Maybe something will come out of this...I knew someone landed permits for the bolded part below, but good to see at least something come to fruition.

Former Sears HQ in Homan Square sold to Chicago investors

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/comme...cago-investors

Quote:
The owners of a south suburban freight company have purchased a historic property in the Homan Square neighborhood in a bold wager on the future of the city's West Side.

A venture led by the CEO of Markham-based freight carrier Arka Express paid $3.25 million this month for a series of contiguous properties including the former Sears headquarters at 3333 W. Arthington St., according to Cook County property records.
Quote:
But their acquisition raises the possibility of redevelopment of properties that have been mostly vacant for years and badly in need of investment.

The sellers in the deal, a venture of Chicago-based Royal Imperial Group, planned a residential development on the site after buying the buildings in 2004. But that vision was thwarted when the market crashed a few years later.

They sold the majority stake in one of the Sears buildings in 2014 to nonprofit affordable housing developer Mercy Housing Lakefront, which last year completed a $65 million conversion of the property into a 181-unit apartment building that is now fully leased. Royal Imperial Group put the balance of the Sears campus, which it rebranded as Sterling Park, up for sale last year.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Maybe something will come out of this...I knew someone landed permits for the bolded part below, but good to see at least something come to fruition.

Not so sure about this - poorly retrofitted for modern things like HVAC and what we now consider the minimum amount of restrooms.

OHC - 2015

The old Allstate(?) addition

Nice grates - on gravity fed heating system.

Hot water ! running f---ng hot water, it's like the future is now

Not sure if these still work

old sash windows, new drop ceiling (for HVAC), lazy painters

Entropy

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:

That is good to see, but I hope the investor will stick with it long term and put some effort into it. That will require a lot of work.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
That is good to see, but I hope the investor will stick with it long term and put some effort into it. That will require a lot of work.
this could really be something over time... the Noble Network School there (DRW College Prep) is a pretty amazing rehab of the old power plant building.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:46 PM

I think it's ironic that they want to market a building in East Garfield as a design district when the building is so ugly. The architect they have doesn't appear to have completed any commercial buildings of this size, he has a bunch of concepts on his website, and has maybe done a couple ugly suburban Mcmansions.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Where is the money coming from? Did they get a bank to finance this? I mean, I know the West Loop boom is intoxicating to us real estate types, but damn... this is a LONG way west of Ashland and has a serious violent crime problem.

Also, why does East Garfield Park keep getting saddled with such hideous pastel architecture?
I agree, the design looks like complete garbage.

The weird little "covered drive thru", and the round half-circle on top, makes this look like some garbage suburban nightmare.

They need to redesign this.

Otherwise, Im all for the development.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 10:14 PM
The City

Just in: Sterling Bay is buying that ADM grain silo thingy in Fulton Market and plans a Metra Station there.

West Loop isn't just a fad. This shit is becoming the real deal

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Just in: Sterling Bay is buying that ADM grain silo thingy in Fulton Market and plans a Metra Station there.

West Loop isn't just a fad. This shit is becoming the real deal
Is this a rumor or confirmed? It seems a little too far east for an ideal train stop given the rail lines are still split there.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 10:47 PM

Bucktown

Aug 11

North and Elston - new Hyatt (ty marothisu and Fvn )

and just a bit further west https://liveam1980.com/ Armitage and Western

Last edited by harryc; Aug 24, 2018 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 10:58 PM

Sterling Bay buying ADM wheat mill in Fulton Market, eyes adding Metra station
Quote:
Sterling Bay has a $25 million deal to buy an Archer Daniels Midland wheat mill in the Fulton Market district, and hopes to replace it with a project that would include the neighborhood’s first Metra station.
Sterling Bay executives declined to comment on the deal with ADM, or on specific plans for the site, but people familiar with the firm’s plans say it wants to put a Metra station there. Erin Lavin Cabonargi, Sterling Bay’s director of development services, said the firm supports long-running efforts to create a Metra station, “further strengthening the expansion of the central business district and the job creation the neighborhood is promoting.”
The ADM property is along the south edge of Metra tracks where four train lines transport passengers between the suburbs and downtown Chicago, Metra spokesman Michael Gillis said. About 37,000 passengers ride those trains on the Milwaukee West, Milwaukee North, North Central Service and Union Pacific West lines each day, Gillis said.
City officials have asked that a planned reconfiguration of tracks allow for the potential creation of a new station to accommodate the growing number of people who work in the area, Gillis said.
Metra is studying ways to reconfigure its interlocking complex, a series of switches, near the intersection of Western Avenue and Hubbard Street west of the proposed Fulton Market station, Gillis said. That project, which could include new bridges to separate tracks, aims to alleviate a “chokepoint” at one of the nation’s busiest crossings of ground-level tracks, he said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...823-story.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Is this a rumor or confirmed? It seems a little too far east for an ideal train stop given the rail lines are still split there.
Tribune reported something about it here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...nt=oft02a-2la1

. . .

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 11

not sure which project this is for on Armatige just west of Milwaukee
This picture is from North & Elston. The crane is for the Hyatt Hotel for Ashland & North (https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07...n-wicker-park/). Or did you post the wrong picture?

Also speaking of Milwaukee Ave - small stuff, but a 17 unit + ground floor retail building was issued for a new construction building permit at Milwaukee & Ridgeway a few blocks south of Belmont. Currently a vacant lot, so that's good to see:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/31...!4d-87.7206523

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
This picture is from North & Elston. The crane is for the Hyatt Hotel for Ashland & North (https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07...n-wicker-park/). Or did you post the wrong picture?

Also speaking of Milwaukee Ave - small stuff, but a 17 unit + ground floor retail building was issued for a new construction building permit at Milwaukee & Ridgeway a few blocks south of Belmont. Currently a vacant lot, so that's good to see:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/31...!4d-87.7206523
No my memory failed me - ty for the correction

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:00 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
A station for MD-N, MD-W and NCS trains could be built very easily and relatively cheaply. Maybe under $10M, Lombard just built all of this for $8M. Just platforms (there is already room for platforms) and a bridge or tunnel to cross the tracks.

Platforms for UP-W trains would be more difficult. Those tracks sit on a tight viaduct with no room on the sides for platforms... eventually Metra's project to rebuild the A-2 interlocking could move the UP tracks up even higher onto a flyover structure and maybe clear some room for platforms to be added.

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 24, 2018 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 11

not sure which project this is for on Armatige just west of Milwaukee
Is that the new Hyatt Place? I think it may be...

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07...n-wicker-park/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:45 AM

Congress Theatre

Aug 11

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development