HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 11:11 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

The bottom rendering of the Cowboy properties tower kind of reminds me of a taller version of those ugly 1960’s condo buildings between Vine Street and Almond Street. It’s cowboy properties though, I really wouldn’t expect anything better. I’m sure it will need to be demolished in 20 to 30 years along with the rest of their poor quality developments anyway.

Any news on the cascade? I hope something happens with arrow press square. First south is starting to become a transient camp now that all the businesses have left.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Any news on the cascade? I hope something happens with arrow press square. First south is starting to become a transient camp now that all the businesses have left.
I can only provide the information that I have but it is a few months old.

Cascade, still planned but nothing planned for the next 3 to 5 years. May not happen until after the Residential to the East of Harmon's is built (NW corner of 1st South and 2nd East). The focus is still to have it be a Condo building while the building to the East of Harmon's will be apartments.

Arrow Press Square, the hotel development is still planned and will be done in honor of Vasilios Priskos. It is doubtful that anything will be coming out about the project until after the CCH is under construction.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I can only provide the information that I have but it is a few months old.

Cascade, still planned but nothing planned for the next 3 to 5 years. May not happen until after the Residential to the East of Harmon's is built (NW corner of 1st South and 2nd East). The focus is still to have it be a Condo building while the building to the East of Harmon's will be apartments.
I'm also assuming that they are also waiting for Boyer/Cowboy to get their res. tower, 151s. State, mostly complete. I assumed that CCRI made a deal with Boyer, back when 151 was proposed to be an office tower, in order to get 111 Main built. In exchange, Boyer could develop 151 as a res. tower before Tower 2 would be built.

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 2, 2019 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:48 PM

Zellerbach site on S-Line?

Anybody know what the status of this is?

Zellerbach Property
Proposed
Floors: 4-stories
Other: Mix use development in South Salt Lake alone the S-line

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:54 PM

Does anybody know the status on these two?

Embassy Suites Hotel Project

Embassy Suites at 329 W 600 S.

Dixon Building Project
- Features: Six stories with nearly 180,000 square feet of office space with three levels of subterranean parking with 445 parking stalls. The project will add 3,500 square feet of public space, including two plazas on the north and south sides of the building. The building’s northern portion built up to the sidewalk level with storefront entrances on Highland across from the Vue. The southeast corner of the building will be set back to accommodate a small plaza. The building also includes a 15-foot setback at floors three to six, to break up the building’s scale.

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 2, 2019 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 9:52 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Anybody know what the status of this is?

Zellerbach Property
Proposed
Floors: 4-stories
Other: Mix use development in South Salt Lake alone the S-line
Zellerbach is built and occupied. The Embassy Suites on 600 S. has been sitting blank for years now. Dixon building is under construction and most of the steel is erected.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Zellerbach is built and occupied. The Embassy Suites on 600 S. has been sitting blank for years now. Dixon building is under construction and most of the steel is erected.
Cool. Thanks. Have there been photos posted of the Zellerbach and the Dixon?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Cool. Thanks. Have there been photos posted of the Zellerbach and the Dixon?
The Dixon Building as an office building was actually cancelled. Lowe Property Group is planning on building an apartment building on the site instead called the Dixon Apartments. https://www.loweprop.com/dixon-lofts

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:43 AM

Quote:
I'm also assuming that they are also waiting for Boyer/Cowboy to get their res. tower, 151s. State, mostly complete. I assumed that CCRI made a deal with Boyer, back when 151 was proposed to be an office tower, in order to get 111 Main built. In exchange, Boyer could develop 151 as a res. tower before Tower 2 would be built.

Where did the rendering of the cascade you used come from? I've only ever seen the one at: http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...23/The-Cascade and it looks much smaller.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Where did the rendering of the cascade you used come from? I've only ever seen the one at: http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...23/The-Cascade and it looks much smaller.
That was the original rendering 12 years ago. It has obviously been majorly scaled down to what we see today

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Ya, it was scaled down, and Tower 1 was scaled up to 30 stories. That was the only image I could find of Tower 2 until you provided the link to the smaller version. Who knows, though. Maybe the foundations are strong enough for a taller tower than this rendering provided back 10 years ago.

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 3, 2019 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:38 AM

Doesn’t the Cascade building site have the issue of public access for fire escape or was that just for a multi use building? About a year ago we were talking about how the height would be restricted Because if this issue or something to that effect. I can’t remember the details other then public access points to exit the building in an emergency. I think it had something to due with city creek being private property? If you can clarify that would be great

Thanks

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:35 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
The Dixon Building as an office building was actually cancelled. Lowe Property Group is planning on building an apartment building on the site instead called the Dixon Apartments. https://www.loweprop.com/dixon-lofts
I hope since it's a small lot that we will see something in the 8-10 floor range for these apartments. With the two apartment buildings in the area with a huge frontage, a taller slender building would be a welcome change.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:31 PM

December 27th, 2018

Redevlopment Agency of Salt Lake City https://www.facebook.com/slcrda/phot...HAwgIQ&theater

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:36 PM

Good point Bob. I placed a couple of pics of L.A.'s recent Ralph's Grocer/Mixed-Use (Kroger Brand) in Downtown L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Every Smiths in Salt Lake (except maybe the one in the Avenues) should be rebuilt to be more urban. All of them are very suburban. Harmons has blown them away in the urban grocery store category. They should start with the marketplace on 400S, then the one in Sugarhouse, then the one on 800S. I wonder if Salt Lake City could institute any ordinances or incentives that would encourage them to rebuild? Obviously they couldn't legally FORCE them to, but something to make it worthwhile for them, or any other business that would want to do something like that? I don't know what could make that possible.

EDIT: I took a quick look at Denver to see if they have any good examples, and I found this beautifully-located grocery store with apartments on top that was built in 2015. And King Soopers is a Kroger brand, so that shows Kroger can do something like this. Of course, this was also brand new construction and not replacing a grocery store that was there before. Still, I look at this and it makes me envious, and almost wishing that Harmons had been built with residential above it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7576...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.buffalorising.com/wp-con...s-Downtown.jpg

http://aspirelosangeles.com/wp-conte...et-lofts-1.jpg

Here's the new Whole Foods in Downtown L.A.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...itled-96.0.jpg

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Doesn’t the Cascade building site have the issue of public access for fire escape or was that just for a multi use building? About a year ago we were talking about how the height would be restricted Because if this issue or something to that effect. I can’t remember the details other then public access points to exit the building in an emergency. I think it had something to due with city creek being private property? If you can clarify that would be great

Thanks
My understanding is that it was due to City Creek being private property and there not being enough space for emergency exits from another group. Because of this, the Cascade can be built by CCR without any issues but another developer would need to get a ROW from CCR or demolish and rebuild the existing above ground structure to incorporate the needed space.

As for height, the original design was for 415' and the current design is for 225'. The foundation was constructed to support a taller building than the current design as the overall height was/is subject to change based on demand.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
My understanding is that it was due to City Creek being private property and there not being enough space for emergency exits from another group. Because of this, the Cascade can be built by CCR without any issues but another developer would need to get a ROW from CCR or demolish and rebuild the existing above ground structure to incorporate the needed space.

As for height, the original design was for 415' and the current design is for 225'. The foundation was constructed to support a taller building than the current design as the overall height was/is subject to change based on demand.
Thanks for the Clarification Makid. If the foundation can support a building close to 400’ then they should wait until demand justifies maxing out the height in my opinion. I also have a theory about “ Future Mayor” and his noticeable absence recently from this forum. I suspect he is entering politics and is preparing for it soon or he has become involved in a development or working with a developer which has caused him to take a low profile on the public forum. Any other guesses? He was too passionate to be too busy to check in and comment from time to time. I hope all is well.

2019 might take the wind out of the sails of some of our Developements. Here’s to a strong decade for development in the 2020’s

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:00 AM

/\/\/\
Ya, where is Future Mayor? Future Mayor, come out come out wherever you are.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 AM

Future Mayor's profile does say "Vote for me in 2019!" I thought it use to say a later year? Did he change it or was it always 2019?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:24 PM

The future of a huge Salt Lake City development hinges on how to honor Japantown and get $15M for a big parking garage

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/12/...uge-salt-lake/

Quote:
Assuming it goes ahead, the development in Salt Lake City known as Block 67 will be big by any definition. But heading into 2019, two vital questions remain unanswered: Will Salt Lake City seal a complicated deal to give the developer $15 million to help build a huge underground parking garage? And what will happen to Japantown?

Developers at The Ritchie Group, based in Salt Lake City, are pushing plans for a cluster of four towers as part of a major mixed-use and hotel development on the block bounded by 100 South and 200 South from 200 West to 300 West, part of which is known now as Royal Wood Plaza.

The Block 67 development, which The Ritchie Group is calling The West Quarter, would include more than 650 residential units, two hotels, an office tower, retail outlets, a treelined street cutting through the block and an
underground parking garage with more than 1,000 stalls. The city has already approved zoning changes on the 6.45-acre site that could allow some of those buildings to rise as high as any in Utah’s capital for what would be a
massive presence on the skyline. On top of benefiting the economy, planners say the project centered at 230 W. 200 South has the attractive potential to more closely tie the city’s business core with an emerging entertainment district centered on The Gateway and Vivint Smart Home Arena, effectively
pushing downtown westward.

The developer agrees. “We truly see this as developing a new section of
town — and we’re thrilled about it,” said Ryan Ritchie, a leading partner in The Ritchie Group. But the blocklong stretch of 100 South just west
of the Salt Palace Convention Center is home to the Japanese Church of Christ and the Salt Lake Buddhist Temple, last remnants of what was
once a thriving hub of stores, markets, eateries and social halls catering to Japanese immigrants.

In public meetings since midsummer, representatives from Utah’s wider Asian community have implored the city to intervene and protect the ethnic neighborhood’s historic legacy, which they say is in jeopardy of being smothered “on the backside” of The West Quarter project.

In response, elected leaders in Salt Lake City are sending strong signals they want a place carved out for Japantown. A city-hired mediator convened what were reportedly breakthrough meetings in October, and there are now signs of an amicable tone in ongoing talks among the city, the developer, the
Japanese community and others.

State Sen. Jani Iwamoto, D-Holladay, one of several prominent Utahns of Japanese descent campaigning to preserve Japantown’s legacy, said the mediator had put negotiations on a better footing. “The city’s efforts have been positive and our community is appreciative,” Iwamoto said.

“There has been a real attempt to make a new starting point, a new beginning,” she said, though she added there remained several
“troublesome” aspects to the project’s proposed design of Block 67.

Salt Lake City Councilwoman Amy Fowler at one point said the mediation process had been “incredibly important to moving forward in a positive way.”
Ryan Ritchie said in an interview he had “been flying blind on the issue” of Japantown when the firm first began pursuing the project in mid-
2017. “This has been a learning curve for us." The developer praised the mediator’s work and resulting creation of a city working group assigned to figure out what a presence for Japantown might look like. That group is
scheduled to start talks in early 2019.

“It’s a perspective I never had,” Ritchie said of learning of the Utah Japanese community’s desires. “They have a seat at the table.” The developer, for now, has put up $1 million toward Japantown’s future and some of the initial ideas floated include creation of a grand entrance or a park honoring that rich heritage.

The Ritchie Group is also offering to alter its design of The West Quarter to tie in a smaller parking lot owned by the Salt Lake Buddhist Temple, open pedestrian flow on 100 South, and help revitalize a series of community festivals held yearly on that one-block stretch. “We want this to be integrated,” Ritchie said. For its part, the City Council altered its budget in late November to spend $100,000 on “placemaking” for the immigrant enclave, in hopes the working group “will collaboratively articulate a vision for Salt Lake City’s Japantown.” Council members have formally asked Mayor
Jackie Biskupski to begin the process of altering the city’s master plan to lock in a desire that the site’s cultural heritage be preserved. And at its last meeting of 2018, the City Council unanimously adopted a resolution heralding the importance of honoring Japantown’s distinct history.

Yet more crucially, through its Redevelopment Agency (RDA), the city has agreed to The Ritchie Group’s request to explore creating what’s called a new community reinvestment area covering Block 67. Through a mechanism
established by the Utah Legislature, the reinvestment area could essentially free up $15 million for the parking garage in exchange for a share of the paid parking spaces being available to the public.

The RDA would then pay back those funds over time, according to city documents, with money drawn from new property tax revenues generated by The West Quarter project. City officials made The Ritchie Group’s participation in talks with the Japanese community and other property owners on the block a major condition to approving the community reinvestment area. The RDA also commissioned a financial-benefits study and is said to be using it as a basis for talks with the developer on whether the district should be created.

In turn, the developer says a deal approving the community reinvestment area and the parking garage is crucial to what it can do on Japantown.
“If the public assistance goes away,” Ritchie said, “our ability to throw $1 million at a charitable cause is hampered.” Though she acknowledged talks are continuing, outgoing City Council Chairwoman Erin Mendenhall said she believed the city had a greater likelihood of getting what it wanted —
respect and recognition for Japantown — by creating the investment area. “That gives us leverage on this cause,” Mendenhall said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West