HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 10:56 PM

113 N May - Another West Loop Hotel

Aug 18

Looks like this is the top.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:22 AM

Twelve01 W Lake

Aug 6

Aug 13

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:27 AM

Thank you for the insight on Little Italy. I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:03 AM

Cook County Hospital

Aug 11

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
It's amazing what a little power washing does!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:23 AM

UICC - New Dorms

Aug 11

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:57 AM

I'm amazed by Harry's ability to remember all of these projects. Bravo

Anyway, went to the Air and Water show like a billion other people and saw that 1550 site on the walk from the Clark and Division L stop.

Definitely won't be able to see much of this one from Lincoln Park... Possibly an even bigger missed opportunity than 61 E. Banks considering what its impact could have been on the skyline for a lot of its size and situation. Sigh...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:13 AM
1st Ward

New UIC dorms looking pretty good!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
It's amazing what a little power washing does!
it must be so satisfying to do that. first time in decades that brick and terra cotta has had a chance to shine.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
it must be so satisfying to do that. first time in decades that brick and terra cotta has had a chance to shine.
Wow, what a difference! Yea I would love to clean that! It's going to be a gem after the powerwashing! Then I'd like to see the Uptown Theatre get a good powerwashing soon, it's pretty grimey now, and would really sparkle with a good wash!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Six Corners Sears redevelopment
556 units, 111K sf retail including cinema, lots of parking (870 spots)

I can't see the pictures. Were they removed? That's seems like alot for that area! I thought that area near Jefferson Park and Old Irving Park is pretty anti-development?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:27 PM

I get the feeling that a preponderance of users on this forum have given up on Chicago winning HQ2, but here are two more articles that paint the Second City in a favorable light:

THE 5 CITIES WITH THE BEST SHOT AT AMAZON HQ2 Chris Fair, Resonance

Why Chicago is the best answer to Amazon's talent challenge John Pletz, Crain's Chicago Business

Both focus on the affordability and availability of the city's tech workers. That intersection puts us head and (broad) shoulders above our peers.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
I get the feeling that a preponderance of users on this forum have given up on Chicago winning HQ2, but here are two more articles that paint the Second City in a favorable light:

THE 5 CITIES WITH THE BEST SHOT AT AMAZON HQ2 Chris Fair, Resonance

Why Chicago is the best answer to Amazon's talent challenge John Pletz, Crain's Chicago Business

Both focus on the affordability and availability of the city's tech workers. That intersection puts us head and (broad) shoulders above our peers.
Haven't given up. The last article from Crains brings up points that are extremely important that most news articles don't bring up, but should. That's one reason I don't listen to them because they talk like someone who has never had to hire for teams recently, and/or write articles as if this thing is only for a few hundred people. Hiring 50,000 people within a handful of years is insane. Ask anyone who has been in on hiring skilled workers that you can't just take anyone. I often wonder if they can even do it. For every person I've hired in the last 2 years, I've turned down probably 10 to 20 people. For these reasons, they need a metro area that already has tons of workers available, and an area that has a track record for getting people to move there from all over. For these reasons, as I've been saying for months..it will come down to the absolute largest areas with large existing workforces given their crazy hiring timeline. That will be NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, DC, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Toronto, and Miami. If they are serious about walkability and public transit, then it will probably eliminate Miami, Dallas, and Atlanta, and maybe even LA. My opinion is that it'll essentially come down to NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and Toronto. Of course, Dallas, Atlanta, and LA have ok transit systems but are definitely inferior to the others which is why I think they won't be picked if Amazon is very serious about these requirements.

I find the CNBC articles hilarious because they bring up points that either don't matter or are incomplete. An example of this is when they weigh talent, but they only talk about software developers. For this reason and above, I can tell most of their analysts have never worked in large organizations recently for big companies. There are loads of people who need to be hired other than software developers. That could be anyone from standard project managers, business analysts, marketing people, pure business people who don't even need to be specifically tech oriented, operations people, executive/admin assistants, QA, UX, Visual/Graphic designers, etc. The metro areas with the best mix of this existing in their labor forces are the ones I predicted it will come down to (before or after my statement of walkability and public transit).

Last edited by marothisu; Aug 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:02 PM

Excellent points. And I'm guessing it's not just anyone that makes the cut for Amazon. Even smaller, lesser-known tech firms in Chicago have very difficult interview processes for their non-tech positions.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Excellent points. And I'm guessing it's not just anyone that makes the cut for Amazon. Even smaller, lesser-known tech firms in Chicago have very difficult interview processes for their non-tech positions.
Yes. I personally have higher than usual standards for hiring but Amazon may have higher than me even. There are a lot of people out there with great resumes, but many don't know what they're doing when you drill down into critical thinking necessary for the job. Sometimes it's not even that. Sometimes it's just a lack of cultural fit or they may end up being detrimental to the delivery of work, even if they are really good on the technical level. Their communication skills may be terrible, which can be a huge detriment when you are actually creating something that millions of people will use.

I will not be surprised if Amazon ends up interviewing anywhere from 250K to 500K people to fill out their hiring goal.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:08 PM

This might be a topic for a different thread, but given how interrelated Aldermanic politics and real estate are, I'm posting this here:

Downtown alderman may face re-election foe Greg Hinz, Crain's Chicago Business

"Sam Rosenberg, a lawyer with ties to Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan, says running against incumbent Brendan Reilly is “something I’m considering” because voters tell him that “the 42nd Ward can do better.”

Rosenberg, 33, is an associate at Pedersen & Houpt here and lives in River North. He said he’s begun forming an exploratory committee and will make a decision soon, but he declined to provide details about potential financing and whether he, like Reilly, would be a strong backer of Mayor Rahm Emanuel in the City Council.

Asked if Reilly has properly handled the ward’s wave of development—some developers privately are extremely critical of Reilly, who usually has the final say on whether any project is approved—Rosenberg said that’s “something I’m talking to people about. And he has “no position” right now on whether Emanuel should be re-elected in February."

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
An example of this is when they weigh talent, but they only talk about software developers. For this reason and above, I can tell most of their analysts have never worked in large organizations recently for big companies.
Like the 5,000 employees that Google will be hiring in their not-a-call-center?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Like the 5,000 employees that Google will be hiring in their not-a-call-center?
Obviously you are trying to give me shit instead of the actual substance of what I said. We are talking about what they have stated for their hiring goals, but my coworker (who has been interviewing a lot with me) and I just half joked about this very thing earlier today while discussing hq2. It wouldn't surprise me if thousands of hq2 jobs are for lesser skilled jobs like call center. Then again, they claimed that they'll all be 6 figure jobs, so who knows. We joke about this because we both find their target and what types of jobs they claim to want to hire truly daunting. I've grown a lot more skeptical of their 50,000 target the more I've thought about it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Obviously you are trying to give me shit instead of the actual substance of what I said.
No, he just has a hard on for trying to discredit 5,000 meaningful jobs for the city, call center or not.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
No, he just has a hard on for trying to discredit 5,000 meaningful jobs for the city, call center or not.
discredit the jobs? no.

discredit the company? maybe... I just don't bow down at the throne of our trillion/billion dollar corporations who need taxpayer hand outs and bail outs....

I still love the buildings though!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development