HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 11:02 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...on-sunset.html

More info on the new office tower planned next to the Sunset Gordon/on top of Old Spaghetti Factory tower. 274,000 sq ft of office, 26,000 sq ft of ground floor retail. 18-stories/260 feet tall, with a massive 6-story parking podium. Architect appears to be Gensler.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 11:08 PM

Holy crap, way to much parking, 6 huge floors. We seriously need a grip on these huge garages. This isn't on top of a subway station but its less than a quarter mile walk.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:15 AM

Wow. It's always great to see a office tower proposed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:57 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Wow. It's always great to see a office tower proposed.
Agreed! And Gensler's a pretty good architect, so I'm sure the parking podium will look fine. This stretch of Sunset is gonna be crazy in a few years!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:03 AM

I like the addition of more office space to the city. But I just think 12 floors of office on top of 6 floors of parking is going to look funky. And since the parking floors will likely be taller than the office ones, it could be that the parking reaches up to 40% of the facade.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:12 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
I like the addition of more office space to the city. But I just think 12 floors of office on top of 6 floors of parking is going to look funky. And since the parking floors will likely be taller than the office ones, it could be that the parking reaches up to 40% of the facade.
Office floors often reach 20 feet in height, so I think that the tower should be more proportionate than that.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:13 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Its the other way around, office floors are higher than typical parking floors.

Also, I did not know that there was a proposed park on top of below grade parking (behind condo tower)

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 8:05 PM

According to Curbed, the Kroenke lot in Inglewood between Hollywood Park and The Forum may not be for the NFL/Rams after all. There's speculation that a soccer team called the LA Gunners, meant to be a sister squad to Arsenal (sort of like Man City and the new NYCFC), may end up playing in a soccer stadium on the site.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ead_of_nfl.php

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 11:13 PM
BANNED

good. screw the NFL.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
According to Curbed, the Kroenke lot in Inglewood between Hollywood Park and The Forum may not be for the NFL/Rams after all. There's speculation that a soccer team called the LA Gunners, meant to be a sister squad to Arsenal (sort of like Man City and the new NYCFC), may end up playing in a soccer stadium on the site.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ead_of_nfl.php
LMAO. Can't believe Curbed actually printed that. It was from an anonymous tip to "The Sun" in the UK. You or I could call that tabloid with an anonymous tip and they would print it tomorrow.

Kroenke bought the site for the NFL, or to package and re-sell. If he builds a stadium, it wouldn't be all that farfetched for a soccer team to play there as well, but it will primarily be for an NFL team.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 5:03 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

1111 Sunset's new look is pretty sexy if I do say so myself...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sterlin...75996/sizes/l/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
1111 Sunset's new look is pretty sexy if I do say so myself...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sterlin...75996/sizes/l/
Great photo. The building has such a funky shape that I had my doubts how the conversion would turn out, but I have to say that its looking fantastic. Much better than I ever expected.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:02 AM

Ahh memories... I'll always call it "mom's bldg" after my mother who worked there from 78'-93' b4 her company (mwd) moved to 2 Calif plaza then eventually Union Station in 98'. I remember me, my little sis, mom & dad commuting from Baldwin Park everyday to DT via the 10 W & 101 N to drop my mom off there while on my way to school in Gardena & kinda being mesmerized by the bldg for many reasons, even got to run thru it with my sister down halls & rooms, eating in the cafeteria, also went to the little carnival that would appear where the current Savons is across the street .

I'd love to have a chance when I move back to LA someday to be able to rent an apt there (hopefully). It just seems like the right thing to do & @ the same time honor my mom's spirit, we shall see! Kudos to the developers I think the bldg looks fantastic!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 6:51 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Are those solar panels on the roof?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:58 AM

^^^ I was wondering the same thing. Did some digging and yeah those are solar panels. the building is being advertised as green and environmentally friendly. But not sure how much is actually helping power the building.... on their website they mention how the parking lot will be full of electric charging stations for cars.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:06 AM

Just a quick update on the Vermont from earlier on Monday. In the past week, they've started planting trees along the sidewalk, mostly along Vermont Avenue. It looks like a mix of Jacarandas and a few types of palm trees. Not too bad in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:11 PM

With all credit due to ChelseaFC in the L.A. Central City thread, I have shamelessly stolen the idea of putting all of the development activity in Glendale in a Google Map. While not nearly as vast and exciting as what's going on in Downtown L.A., Glendale has a lot of activity completed, under construction, and proposed/approved. Glendale is rapidly filling its parking lots and unused commercial space with apartments, condos, and hotels. These are the projects that I am aware of, but if anyone knows of any others feel free to let me know and I will add them!

Glendale Development map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...M.kVUwo1XoAbGk

key:
blue = recently completed
red = u/c
Green = proposed/approved
Black = Initial planning

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:40 PM

Nice. Are those two southern Glendale developments considered TOD to the Metrolink station? It's pretty close.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Nice. Are those two southern Glendale developments considered TOD to the Metrolink station? It's pretty close.
Is there a radius to be "officially" TOD? Those two developments are about 2 blocks away from the Metrolink/Amtrak station so it is certainly walkable. The good thing about that station is that two Metrolink lines (Ventura County & Antelope Valley) stop there, so it effectively doubles the frequency of Metrolink to/from Downtown LA.

It still would be nice to resurrect the old Glendale Pacific Electric Red Car line and get some real light rail back to Glendale via Glendale Ave & Brand Blvd, but that's a long ways off from happening (if ever).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 12:15 AM

Usually 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile from the rail station is the standard to be considered transit-oriented development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations