HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
i wonder if the Ovation will get underway once the Arthur wraps up. i know all of these projects are putting a strain on finding enough construction workers.
The were was an interesting article in the Statesman the other day about the amount of projects vs labor and how business are handling them. There's some fear in the industry about when Micron's expansion truly takes off.

Fears mount for Idaho construction industry as billion-dollar mega-projects move forward

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...285537207.html

Quote:
A new battle could be brewing for Idaho’s construction industry. As developers seek to continue transforming the Treasure Valley, filling in dirt lots in Boise with towers and building new neighborhoods in Eagle, there are growing concerns that incoming mega-projects such as the $15 billion Micron expansion and the new data center for Meta in Kuna could tie up the vast majority of construction workers in a state already facing labor shortages.

Developers and industry insiders say the mega-projects projects could squeeze the state of its tradesmen and hinder other developments, such as the 26-story Arthur apartments going up at 12th and Idaho streets. The Arthur would have more floors than any other Idaho building, though its highest point would still be lower than the top of the 18-story Eighth & Main (Zions Bank) building’s spire.

These fears come on the heels of a construction market swinging back from sour conditions in 2023 that saw developers pull back on projects such as the 13-story Idaho Central Credit Union building on 4th Street amid swelling interest rates, increasing construction costs and a labor shortage, according to prior Idaho Statesman reporting.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:43 PM

Arthur Apartments

Close up

Last edited by Architecture Design; Mar 12, 2024 at 2:11 AM. Reason: Better image

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
The were was an interesting article in the Statesman the other day about the amount of projects vs labor and how business are handling them. There's some fear in the industry about when Micron's expansion truly takes off.

Fears mount for Idaho construction industry as billion-dollar mega-projects move forward

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...285537207.html
I read this as well. Shall get interesting. I didn't realize there would be quite that many workers on the Micron facility.

A few years ago my buddy built a new house out in Meridian. I went out to check it out with him and ended up chatting with one of the roofers. He was telling me they're struggling to keep up with the pace and are having to ship roofers up from different areas. It's definitely booming and looking to continue.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 5:19 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here's a couple of interesting projects that i hadn't heard of before:

1 - the Hummingbird, just off the connector south of the St Al's campus:

link to page: https://pivotnorthdesign.com/portfol...e-hummingbird/

2 - Parkcenter Multifamily - this one would be build on that empty lot next to the parkcenter bridge; i like how it fits that unique space:

link to page: https://pivotnorthdesign.com/portfol...r-multifamily/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 10:09 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
here's a couple of interesting projects that i hadn't heard of before:

1 - the Hummingbird, just off the connector south of the St Al's campus:

link to page: https://pivotnorthdesign.com/portfol...e-hummingbird/

2 - Parkcenter Multifamily - this one would be build on that empty lot next to the parkcenter bridge; i like how it fits that unique space:

link to page: https://pivotnorthdesign.com/portfol...r-multifamily/

Nice. There's an impressive amount of construction all over the city and we tend to focus on downtown at this forum.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 11:58 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

March 9

by Sean, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pCukWr]
DSC_5558Sean, on Flickr

by Sean, on Flickr

by Sean, on Flickr

by Sean, on Flickr

by Sean, on Flickr

by Sean, on Flickr
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:51 PM
NIMBY Hater

Sorry, I don't check in on Boise often. Is this glass building u/c a new tallest?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:54 PM
All man. Half nuts.

no, it's about 33 feet shorter than the Zion building.

it does have the most floors of any building so far, and the roofline is the highest, but it's officially shorter than the top of the spire on the Zion.

that said, when driving into town on the connector, it definitely stands out and looks like the tallest.

there's a bunch of photos in the construction thread showing progress:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...2#post10159762

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:56 PM
NIMBY Hater

Thank you. That's awesome. Who is the developer? Any other info about ownership group? I might want to come see it.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on the absorption when it opens.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:33 PM

SCB Architects designed the building and the oppenheimer group is the developer if I remember correctly. As far as I am concerned this is SCB's first project in Boise. They are pretty active in San Francisco and Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:47 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Here is an image of what the roofline will look like:
https://boisedev.com/project/the-arthur-boise/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 3:37 AM

Checked on the recent meetings done by the city government and I found some stuff related to the new St. Lukes Tower that shows a lot more perspectives on the project!

One thing of note, it might be too low quality on these images to see but apparently the height listed on the original hospital tower is taller than the US Bank Building at 274ft... Does anyone know if that is true or not? I always assumed the US Bank Building was taller, but maybe I have just been lied to all my life

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 8:00 AM

The diagram has a base or floor level set to 100 feet. I assume this is so they don't have to measure in negative feet if showing subsurface levels on a blueprint (I could be wrong on that reason). So the actual height of the main St Luke's tower would be 174', which is on par with the Key Bank building.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:24 PM
NIMBY Hater

Thank you for the info.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:02 AM

The Arthur apartments with views of bottom of pool on 25 floor looking up from 24th floor. Another photo of AC and Element by Marriott construction site.
The building inspector gave rough dimensions of 20x25 and 5 feet deep.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 3:15 PM

I really hope they end up putting a mural on that parking garage face. It's just begging for something.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 3:17 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice shots

i wonder if the small surface parking lot next to the shriner's building will ever be developed. would be a nice spot for a high-rise condo.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:45 PM

The Arthur Apartments

What is a Post Tension Cable System?
Post-tensioned systems consist of a series of high-strength steel cables embedded within concrete slabs that, once stressed, support the loads imposed on the slabs. The cables are commonly called “tendons.”

Post-tensioned cable systems reinforce concrete, allowing structures to require fewer beams, longer clear spans, more slender elements, and thinner slabs. This helps to reduce the amount of concrete required for construction, also reducing the weight and height of the building. Lower building weight and height can contribute to savings in terms of facade and mechanical system costs. There will also be a lesser load on the foundation.

Post tension cable location, spacing, and depth are determined by an engineer, and are specific to each project.

Drilling, cutting, or coring into a post-tension slab can be dangerous. It is important to avoid hitting the cables when cutting or drilling for construction or renovation. Each tendon pulls 24,000 to 33,000 lbs. of pressure. Damaging a cable when cutting, coring, or drilling into a slab can cause a tendon to burst with enough force to cause severe injury or death, and impact the structural integrity of the slab.

This is why it is important to locate post-tension cable systems when finishing or repairing buildings or structures. An accurate layout of post-tension cables protects tendons from damage, prevents injury and mistakes, and protects the integrity of the building.

The photos show the holes in the concrete slabs between floors of the cables. After 3 to 4 days of curing the steel cables are pulled (stressed). This makes the building more stable in high winds, and the concrete between floors adds more sound proofing.

Last edited by Architecture Design; Mar 14, 2024 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:05 AM

The Arthur Apartments

Marriott Hotels (AC & Element) construction block with 11th & Front the talk around town of 40 story tower.

Last edited by Architecture Design; Mar 14, 2024 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:50 PM

Arthur

The parking levels will be covered by a fabric that allows fresh air flow and light.
scb.com/project/12th-idaho/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West