HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
That would be an enormous population jump for Atlanta, if this is accurate. Atlanta's average growth per year between 1990 and 2020 was 3,490 per year. The 2010s was the best growth decade for the city of Atlanta in 60 years, and even that decade the city averaged just about 7,800 per year.

OTOH, Houston's increase is very low. Houston averaged about 22,000 people per year between 1990 and 2020, and 20,000 per year between 2010 and 2020.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ WHOA!

JC got a supertall proposed?
That's just a random future skyline image I found. My guess is that was 55 Hudson, which was originally planned to be 95-stories, but it has since been sliced in half and two 50-ish story will go instead, one of which is under construction.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...php?p=10057781

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ WHOA!

JC got a supertall proposed?
That looks like the older proposal for 55 Hudson Street. It won't be that tall. Now its two towers, smaller, for 55 and 50 Hudson parcels. Upshot of all this is 2000 units which is much needed.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I haven't even heard of many of these cities. Celina? Fulshear? Georgetown? Sounds like AI-derived places.
Take a look at these growth rates of towns that nearly no one has ever heard of.

Just for fun... Celina is #1!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:14 PM

Looks like Celina got engrossed in the DFW Metroplex's rapid growth. No one does sprawl like Texas. (Except maybe Florida and California).

From Wikipedia:

According to the 2020 U.S. census, the population of Celina was 16,739. The Dallas Business Journal has ranked Celina as the fastest-growing city in the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex for three consecutive years (2019-2021). The population growth rate of Celina was 50.8% from 2015 to 2019. Celina's maximum project buildout population is approximately 378,000.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Son: "Dad, dad, DAD! Got good news!"

Father: What is it son, what is it?

Son: I got into Princeton

Father: My son, first in his family to go to University

Son: Yes, I was excited

Father: Now that your in NJ, you can indulge in the local culture, maybe take a train to NYC to further strengthen the diversity that Princeton will provide.

Son: Uhhh...mmm, well... its...not... in... NJ

Father: Where is it at than?

Son: In Texas dad, Texas

Father: --- Walks away into a room

Son: DAD?!!

(gunshot in the room).

- the end

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:20 PM

DAMN. That went dark quickly!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
That's just a random future skyline image I found. My guess is that was 55 Hudson, which was originally planned to be 95-stories, but it has since been sliced in half and two 50-ish story will go instead, one of which is under construction.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...php?p=10057781
damn.

got excited there for a moment.

oh well....... probably someday.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:43 PM

What the hell is going on with Athens, OH? It's in the middle of nowhere, so its growth isn't due to sprawl encroaching from Columbus or Cincinnati or whatever. I understand Ohio University has had declining enrollment recently, too, so it's not due to student growth. I don't think there's much else to Athens beside the university, so I don't understand how it would grow by almost 2,000 people in a year.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
What the hell is going on with Athens, OH? It's in the middle of nowhere, so its growth isn't due to sprawl encroaching from Columbus or Cincinnati or whatever. I understand Ohio University has had declining enrollment recently, too, so it's not due to student growth. I don't think there's much else to Athens beside the university, so I don't understand how it would grow by almost 2,000 people in a year.
seems like an annexation move.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Almost every municipality in Miami-Dade County is still down in population from 2020 except for the City of Miami and Doral.
I'm thinking because Miami-Dade is a majority-minority county of about 5/6 of the population being nonwhite, a lot of Blacks and Latinos, as well as the undocumented and young children, haven't been unaccounted for since the 2020 pandemic.

I still call baloney that Miami-Dade is losing population while other FL counties are having robust growth. There's a huge undercount of about 3% of FL's population (about 750,000), and that undercount played a huge role in FL not getting a second congressional seat back in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Miami Beach continues to lose population. It had 91k people in 2000 and is now down to 79k. Residents continue to be pushed out in favor of 2nd home owners and AirBnB rentals.
A lot of retirees and empty esters make the bulk of Miami Beach's population. A lot of them won't change their old ways and the only way Miami Beach changes is a majority of them die off so Miami Beach can be a dynamic as Sunny Isles Beach, in that it gets it's own skyline.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Excellent, sounds just like what is happening in Detroit. Hopefully these trends continue to accelerate over the next few years.
I think the trend started just before COVID. Duggan was pointing out an overall rise in gas and electric hookups when he said he foresaw growth in the 2020 census.

I’m all continuing the development especially in the central core & hollowed out neighborhoods. However like Grand Central station leaving a patch of ceiling unwashed as a reminder, some areas could be left with patches of green space & blue space. It would improve air & water quality & act as a reminder of how far we came while creating an asset.

The city is just starting to add blue space in medians and Rouge Park. It’s mostly the suburban area that are forced by law if they develop wetlands they need to reestablish a certain percentage more than they built on. It would be a unique opportunity to establish green space with stormwater overflow retention ponds and daylight some of the buried creeks in the urban prairie.

It would add value to the surrounding areas. The city is currently rebuilding and rearranging its sewer system. Adding single use storm drains & rerouting single use connectors that have excess capacity instead of overwhelming the east-west connector. A one inch rainfall used to be the maximum the area would see in a storm with global warming we’ve seen 2 or 3 times that with 6 times in 2014 paralyzing the city.

Chicago’s massive storm water diversion system is massively expensive and it failed recently causing overflow to enter the river and lake. It’s hard to engineer a system in a such a dense city especially when parts were marsh land. I’m off topic though just a few thoughts turning a burden into a future strength.

Not to get ahead of ourselves as you said let’s hope the trend continues. but before the dutch elm disease one of Detroits nicknames was the city of trees. Leaving patches of natural space in some neighborhoods as they redevelop would be add unique aspect to a major American city.

I’m thinking about the future though anyways there’s a lot of land to redevelop & great housing stock stabilized traditional neighborhoods that needs renovating and residents.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 8:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Take a look at these growth rates of towns that nearly no one has ever heard of.

I consider myself quite knowledgeable and I am a geography/population nerd.

I have never heard of any of these places.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 9:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Love View Post
Chicago’s massive storm water diversion system is massively expensive and it failed recently causing overflow to enter the river and lake. It’s hard to engineer a system in a such a dense city especially when parts were marsh land.
two points:

- chicago's TARP project isn't compelte yet. the largest resevoir has yet to come online. so we can't exactly say that it's failed...... yet.

- but your general point of the problem of trying to out-engineer the issues of building a giant metropolis on a former marsh in the era of climate change is spot on. design a system for a 100 year storm, and then you get a 500 year storm. design for a 500 year storm, and then you get a 10,000 year storm. mother nature will always win, if given enough time. and with our climate going haywire, the timelines for these events are radically condensing.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:

Anytime you see some noname Texas town, 8/10 it is some DFW suburb that is next in line for the overflow sprawl growth especially since DFW is the fastest growing metro in the country (even at over 8M people). 20 years ago those cities were Frisco, Allen, McKinney, etc., and I figure most have heard of those towns at this point considering all the corporate movement in DFW. Houston suburbs won't really be on lists like this since it is mostly unincorporated areas (Fulshear being one of the exceptions). San Antonio being similar to Houston. Austin though is more like DFW and will land a few suburbs (Georgetown, Kyle).

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 9:31 AM

I flew into DFW for the April eclipse and approach was right over Collin County. It looked like the McMansion suburban version of Coruscant. A circuit board of cul-de-sacs and stroad strip malls between the reservoirs to the hazy horizon -- and clear construction on the next fringe underway opening up the red soil to the sky.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
I flew into DFW for the April eclipse and approach was right over Collin County. It looked like the McMansion suburban version of Coruscant. A circuit board of cul-de-sacs and stroad strip malls between the reservoirs to the hazy horizon -- and clear construction on the next fringe underway opening up the red soil to the sky.
That's a very evocative description.

North Dallas sprawl will cross the OK state line in pretty short order. It's incredible.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

North Dallas sprawl will cross the OK state line in pretty short order. It's incredible.
Onward to Nebraska!

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 2:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

My wife's family is from Forney, TX and the amount of growth just since I've known her is off the charts. Her cousin recently sold their property for millions to the local school district and everything around it has been built up. 20 years ago, it was all ranch land in every direction. Crime has gone up exponentially as well. Rapid growth is not necessarily a good thing. Glad Houston has slowed down somewhat.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Love both your images, both are 100% on point! Coruscant-of-SFHs and/or a circuit board. So perfectly accurate.

“Why is Texas relatively affordable” is a pretty simple question to answer from the air

Those farmlands around Celina that keep getting lost to sprawl look like decent soil, unlike other (further west) parts of the state. I’m somewhat torn, though I’m more anti-sprawl than pro-sprawl, if I’m getting asked a binary question.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions