HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
I like the materials and texture on this hotel design on the architect’s website....
Maybe the design picks up some defacto Hyatt House design cues, but the article says that architect isn't involved in the exterior

"The new Hyatt Place architect is April Maifield with River North-based Legat Architects. Maifield said on Monday the exterior design of the project was completed by the previous architect prior to Legat Architects coming on board."

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:11 PM

^ Ah got it. Looks like I had it the other way around. Well the architects seem so challenged by it. A box with perfect, even spaced, square window openings and a corner glass crown aren’t the easiest basis of design parameters, but it’s kind of like they go for the lowest common denominator of trendy design features

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:49 PM

This new rendering painfully shows car access on both North Ave and Ashland Ave.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:28 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmetro View Post
This new rendering painfully shows car access on both North Ave and Ashland Ave.
Ugh, couldn't they have funneled this into the alley? Even if not all of their guests are proficient at city driving, they could have gotten a valet service to handle the out of towners and suburbanites that are afraid of driving in tight spaces.

I could ignore the painfully garbage looking design, but the curb cuts to me are completely unforgivable. If you are trying to liven up a corner, this is the exact opposite way of how to go about that.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:45 AM
Chicago

The Ardus - 676 N LaSalle

July 10, 2018

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:46 AM
Chicago

620 N Lasalle - Formerly Sports Authority

July 10, 2018

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:47 AM
Chicago

McDonald's - 600 N Clark

July 10, 2018

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:34 AM
The City

Thought these plans for a Latin entertainment district on Division St in Humboldt Park are interesting. I wish them success:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/06...humboldt-park/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:40 AM

Just learned 730 S Clark (Burnham Pointe) in Printers Row is being sold from Crescent Heights to Draper & Kramer. Fifth owner for the building at least in its 11 year life. AFAIK D&K also owns a lot of the Dearborn Park communities across the street. Maybe Crescent wants to get out of the portfolio management business now that they’re building supertalls on the park, but it also looks like DK wants to be the don of Printers Row.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:31 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Thought these plans for a Latin entertainment district on Division St in Humboldt Park are interesting. I wish them success:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/06...humboldt-park/
This sounds pretty freaking cool IMO! Perfect place for a niche project such as this, especially in the heart of the Puerto Rican neighborhood. Nice to see something visionary in the works on Division, especially given that I'm extremely close to relocating to basically Division and Kedzie in the very, very near future.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Hyatt Place, A 99-Room Millennial-Friendly Hotel, Coming To Wicker Park

Block Club Chicago
Alisa Hauser, @BCC_WPB
Wicker Park, Bucktown & West Town reporter

Caption: The previous design of the planned Hyatt Place, at left, and the new design, at right.

... is this really an improvement? I had to read the caption to remember which one was the original. I dislike both designs but the new one (on the right) looks cheaper, and to my eyes, more suburban.
As an architect, are you actually embarrassed when a design ends up like this? I know there are limitations based on client demands, budget, etc. But if this is the best you can do, it’s time to find another way to earn a living.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
July 10, 2018

looks like a fancy gas station right now

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:10 PM

This nice orange-rated Victorian was cleared for demo at 1441 W. Carmen in Uptown/Andersonville.

https://www.facebook.com/15363889800...913481/?type=3

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:45 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Just learned 730 S Clark (Burnham Pointe) in Printers Row is being sold from Crescent Heights to Draper & Kramer. Fifth owner for the building at least in its 11 year life. AFAIK D&K also owns a lot of the Dearborn Park communities across the street. Maybe Crescent wants to get out of the portfolio management business now that they’re building supertalls on the park, but it also looks like DK wants to be the don of Printers Row.
They already sold 1212 S Michigan to Horizon Realty and I think are selling the Lex as well. Probably they don't want to compete against themselves for NEMA.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
looks like a fancy gas station right now
Had not previously seen the renderings but if the description linked is accurate, it appears this will include a bit of welcome public space. Also appears the replacement won't be R&R which I had found at least somewhat kitschy interesting

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/30...aurant-remodel

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Had not previously seen the renderings but if the description linked is accurate, it appears this will include a bit of welcome public space. Also appears the replacement won't be R&R which I had found at least somewhat kitschy interesting

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/30...aurant-remodel
yeah but sadly the space appears to be off the street and inbetween the massive parking lot and the building itself

I don't really care either way, never really went to the R&R one due to the horrible service and high prices there anyway, and I doubt I'm going to start going to this one either

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:11 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
This nice orange-rated Victorian was cleared for demo at 1441 W. Carmen in Uptown/Andersonville.

Sign the petition to have it saved:

https://www.change.org/p/wfcw-block-...rom-demolition

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:50 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post

Goddamnit.

Why do we even bother having a historic preservation division in the DPD? A bunch of people who do absolutely nothing and leech away from taxpayers in the form of generous salaries and benefits. Just axe them and save the money. The city's jewels are going to get demo'd anyway with utter and negligent indifference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Sign the petition to have it saved:

https://www.change.org/p/wfcw-block-...rom-demolition
Done.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:10 AM

Tower crane at 61 e Banks started coming down today

Next up: seeing how much the cladding rubs salt in the wounds of having a 8 floor building at that location...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:14 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development