HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 3:26 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctyler View Post
Yes, you're correct. Would you like me to edit IT?
Just being funny

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Just being funny
I think I was going for the more climatic statement with the lead up to IS.....not. haha.

My gf's mother is the GM and she says these rumors come up every couple of years. It's NOT going anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I see in the news that the Tim Horton's in the basement of the Richardson Bldg is being unionized. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...nize-1.4224200

i wonder if that will have an effect on prices at that location? Especially because there is a scheduled Tim Horton's price increase coming around Aug 6 if I read the notice card on the till correctly today at the City Place location.
Nothing too noticeable if they do have price increases. The one around Portage and Wall has been unionized for some time and had fairly positive experiences there. Also it is often lined up back onto Portage so others aren't avoiding it.

Unionizing isn't always about higher wages. Things like guaranteed hours, proper length of notice of a schedule, having set shifts, and not having schedules change with minimal notice can be important too.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:25 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

There's a FIONN's at Grant Park.

It's a Sports Bar with tonnes of screens.

I like the exterior design and logo, but the inside had too many screens.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:45 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
There's a FIONN's at Grant Park.

It's a Sports Bar with tonnes of screens.

I like the exterior design and logo, but the inside had too many screens.
I've been to the one on Regent and a location in Calgary as well. I actually enjoyed their food and they pour a respectable pint. The screens are an unfortunate symptom of our North American sensibilities, so it is to be expected.

That being said, they deliver a decent experience for a large chain.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:29 AM

It's only the second store to open under their new branding and design. Way less Irisih Pub themed and more of a bar/grill in design, but still "Irish food" and live music. I find the food very meh, and aside from the mass-produced Irish beers (Guinness, Kilkenney, etc.) very standard Labatt beer selection. It is nice and there, pretty small, with a nice patio though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:25 PM
Aspiring.

I'd like to give a shout-out to the outdoor space at The Met .
Was there a week ago Friday for drinks after work and I thought it was great. $5 for some respectable mussels w/ fries, happy hour drinks and a really nice vibe. It felt very big-city. Normally I am no fan of Canad believe me!

Was also recently at RestoGare on the terrasse. It was great too. Very nice space, lots of greenery and a high fence keeps the noise and dust of des Meurons at bay. Highly recommend. Good wine list and food was beautifully prepared.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:39 PM

^ I've never been to the Met's patio, but I've heard good things from people who have been. Are they open for lunch up there?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:37 PM
Aspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I've never been to the Met's patio, but I've heard good things from people who have been. Are they open for lunch up there?
I believe they open at 11:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:43 AM

The Met's patio is nice but the food is still not good (I guess mussels are ok) and the drinks are cheap but terrible. I hate that The Met is CanadInns.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:46 AM

Albert Street Cocktail is under new management - one of the former owners of Fox and Fiddle. They're going to be reworking the menu a bit, will focus on much better service so it's not always 25 minutes for a drink, and having guest chefs and pop-ups, as the food options before were brutal.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:59 PM
What could go wrong?

This from Brent's Twitter
https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy

"A celebration of urban culture through food, drink, art, and sound - coming to Winnipeg! Toronto's La Carnita. First location outside GTA"

Looks like the old Fox and Fiddle location.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

He already said it - too late Buff.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:49 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Damn it. I usually read threads in the morning from the bottom of the page up to Winnipeg Construction....that is clearly my downfall.

Clearly he should have put it in the Restaurant thread. What was he even thinking. I don't think he gets this whole "internet" thing yet.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:27 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't think he gets this whole "internet" thing yet.
I heard it's just a fad anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

That's unfortunate. I would be shocked if Stella's went in there as it's not very big, however they would obviously want a patio, and I would think they'd be smart and put it out back facing John Hirsch, where it's currently parking.

I SERIOUSLY hope the city spoke to the building/business owners facing John Hirsch to encourage them to make better use of the new woonorf, put patios in, hide dumpsters, etc. so it just doesn't become a fancy back lane again. That'd be such a waste. Also, hopefully they require frontage onto JHP when the empty lots along it eventually get developed.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yay more condos. Just what we need at that location.
Really?

Polo Park is a great mall, and in my opinion, lacks decent, new supply of apartments or condos.

The problem is Rae and Jerry's is an institution that would be a shame to lose... not because it's simply "iconic", but it's an attractive space that seems to make money and deliver a great product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I just hate when businesses get demo'd and replaced by crappy condos.. Like whatever is going up on the Pal site. Crappy, shit condos to make some money.
What's wrong with condos (aside from losing R+J's)? All we harp on about in this forum is "more density" and "well that project interacts poorly with the street level".

We need newer generation density around attractions like Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

I can see why a developer of condos or apartments would be interested in that site. It's quite large, very close to Polo Park and right on Portage Ave. In many ways, completely ripe for redevelopment. On the other hand, I'd hate to see it developed poorly - like a cheap, low rise, wood-framed building with a large parking lot out front - basically like what's going in at the old Pal site.
Woof frame is a perfectly good product if designed well. Before we lambaste it and demand concrete, construction costs, particularly, er, concrete, need to come down. It's not that "rich developers" are trying to pull a fast one and cheap out. It's stupid expensive to build here and rents aren't that high. Furthermore going underground for a parkade is absurdly expensive so you need the big lot, because the structure itself takes a lot of ground space because it's cheaper to build wide than tall.

Math, guys...

Quote:
Albert Street Cocktail is under new management - one of the former owners of Fox and Fiddle. They're going to be reworking the menu a bit, will focus on much better service so it's not always 25 minutes for a drink, and having guest chefs and pop-ups, as the food options before were brutal.
That makes me nervous...

I don't care that I wait for a drink there... they're the best drinks in the city, and among the most creative you could hope to find, well, anywhere. I hope they don't lose what they have, which is a fantastic product.

And as much as I sometimes wish they had food, that's never why I went there.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:08 AM

... and that's why they were hemorrhaging money. That space is way too big for the concept they're trying to run. They had terrible hours and were always understaffed. Their plan is to keep it the same but add in some more simple options as well as more programming.

Also I don't think anyone comes close to The Roost in terms of creativity and execution of cocktails in the city. Hands down the best cocktail bar in Winnipeg IMO.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
... and that's why they were hemorrhaging money. That space is way too big for the concept they're trying to run. They had terrible hours and were always understaffed. Their plan is to keep it the same but add in some more simple options as well as more programming.

Also I don't think anyone comes close to The Roost in terms of creativity and execution of cocktails in the city. Hands down the best cocktail bar in Winnipeg IMO.
I really like the Roost but between the two, based purely on drinks, I'm more in favour of the Albert... while both are VERY creative, the Albert leans the slightest more towards a classical interpretation of their drinks, which I think I prefer. As far as the space, The Roost wins. That's an awesome perch in a good location, and very good for Corydon.

Shame about Albert hemorrhaging money, so I hope this shift in management works. I figured rent in that building is kinda cheap, but for whatever reason they have trouble filling the place. They need a strong marketing push I guess.

And damn it, I don't mind good food and if it pays the bills, bring it on. I just hope they don't handcuff their bartenders and mixologists.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 12:47 PM

According to the latest plans on the Cushman Wakefield site there is a BarBurritto coming to Northgate in the new CRU.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 11:50 PM

Autumnbees Pizza is Closed For Good

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan