HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 12:53 AM
surely you agree with me

Orlikow running for mayor.

This could be awesome. All the NIMBY councillors run for mayor and lose their seat after Murray beats them.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 2:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Look at who the biggest municipal election campaign donors are if you want to know who calls the shots
If he can get the Philippino vote he has a chance

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 12:26 AM

Ran across this photo of downtown Houston in the 1970's. Now THEY had a surface parking lot problem:

https://www.facebook.com/HistoricPho...7304973109909/

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 1:27 PM

That is a somewhat iconic photo in city-nerd circles for illustrating the very depths of America's postwar obsession with cars and the impact it has had on cities. Fortunately downtown Houston doesn't look like that anymore, although there's no question that cars are still king and the city suffers for it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:33 PM

There was a telephone robo survey recently asking about vote intentions for Mayor. I would normally hang up on these, but when I heard Murray's name, I had to give him my support. We desperately need a leader who is truly invested in, and understands what makes a city great. Bowman has been a complete failure IMO. We need someone with experience in city government - and none of our current crop seems to stand out as a forward thinker. Someone who will roll up their sleeves, and offend a few people if required to get things done.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Murray is my favourite mayor in terms of the ones who served during my lifetime. I thought he did a great job in office and really helped change the mindset of Winnipeggers.

But that said, he was pretty fresh and invigorating in the 80s and 90s. He might seem pretty stale these days. Is he what the city needs at this point? It's hard to believe there isn't someone younger who could pick up the progressive/urbanist mantle. He certainly has a boatload of experience, though. I'd vote for him.
The mayoral candidates of late were so terrible.

Murray's name is established. People know him. That's already a huge leg up on some of the other candidates.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 5:55 AM

I got an online survey from ... maybe Nanos, can't remember? It was a feeler about a range of candidates, but one of the things they had you rate was the importance of "experience in government" for a candidate... felt like it was probably research for a potential murray campaign

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Ran across this photo of downtown Houston in the 1970's. Now THEY had a surface parking lot problem:

https://www.facebook.com/HistoricPho...7304973109909/
I’d love to see a current photo from that vantage point.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I’d love to see a current photo from that vantage point.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Quite a bit of that space now built upon, but still quite a bit of surface parking as well. Even oil-rich Houston can't snap their fingers and make all surface parking disappear.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Interesting. Quite a bit of that space now built upon, but still quite a bit of surface parking as well. Even oil-rich Houston can't snap their fingers and make all surface parking disappear.
I have a feeling being oil-rich and car dependant are persistent factors on why there is still surface parking in their downtown.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 6:11 PM

Looking at Houston on google maps is even worse. Its an insane amount of surface parking that I don't think any Canadian city can rival. Further, you can see the impact of their freeway system surrounding downtown. It looks awful from an urbanism point of view.

That being said, I hear Houston is a very cool city and I'd like to visit.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 7:00 PM

I was in Miami recently and unless you are in that 5-10 km from coast, it's nothing but freeways, industrial, poor residential and lots and lots of empty concrete lots. (abandoned service stations, retail, etc). not a pretty city if away from coast

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 6:18 PM

Glen Murray was speaking today to EPC on the subject of tax-increment financing, but oh boy was he ever making Strong Towns-ian points on a range of subjects. Talking extensively about encouraging development in the most financially-productive locations for fiscal sustainability, reducing structural deficits, fine-grained development, walkability to reduce infrastructure requirements, wealth generation and retention, etc.

Our once and future king.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 6:18 PM

Drove by the Kimberly Ave appartment fire site on my way to Canadian Tire this morning, and see that where I noticed some new wood framing up the other day there are now insulated tarps up on the walls.

I take the tarps to mean that construction has restarted on part of the site because if it was demo the contractor would be using machines and they don't need heat/windbreaks.

That has to be a record in getting all the approvals / permits / foundation engineering inspections from all the interested parties to allow construction to restart.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Glen Murray was speaking today to EPC on the subject of tax-increment financing, but oh boy was he ever making Strong Towns-ian points on a range of subjects. Talking extensively about encouraging development in the most financially-productive locations for fiscal sustainability, reducing structural deficits, fine-grained development, walkability to reduce infrastructure requirements, wealth generation and retention, etc.

Our once and future king.
He spoke mostly true words except I think he overstated the effectiveness of TIF as an economic growth tool. The effectiveness of TIF, at least in the empirical literature, is often questioned once historical data is looked at. TIF doesn't act as a catalyst for region-wide growth, but instead usually acts as a magnet attracting development to the area where TIF is, and forgoing development where TIF isn't. It doesn't create net-new buildings or jobs that wouldn't have otherwise occurred, but rather it concentrates them in areas where TIF exists within a region.

That's not to say TIF shouldn't be used as a policy, as it can certainly be used strategically to encourage development in one area while recognizing that it will simultaneously discourage development in another. In the case of downtown Winnipeg, it might be fair for the City to forgo tax revenue to try and encourage development downtown but it must also recognize that this means forgoing development elsewhere in the City. Like any other city, Winnipeg only needs X amount of dwelling units per year to accommodate growth and where they go matter, so TIF is useful. But overall, it won't be a policy to stimulate further net growth.

Of course something could be said about a vastly improved downtown (thanks to TIF) increasing the city's growth trajectory which might not have occurred in the absence of a broad and well-written TIF policy, but that would be difficult to prove and would certainly be a long-run trend influenced by many other factors.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 7:27 PM

Are there any TIF zones in Winnipeg besides the SHED?

When the idea first came into vogue 20-odd years ago it was seen as a tool to encourage investment in blighted areas but it seems to have evolved into a way to provide True North with subsidies.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 7:55 PM

Katz and Bowman have been disasters. Bring back Murray.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 8:25 PM

Katz actually got stuff done. Besides the corruption and all that.

Bowman's been as expected, kind of a lame duck. Bungled some legal issues, somehow. Even though he's a lawyer.

Murray would be a god send if he actually runs.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 11:05 PM

Great line. Apart from the corruption, he was great. BTW, lawyers bungling legal issues isn't that uncommon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan