HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I heard back from Planning, Property, and Development earlier this morning. They said that parking lots are not permitted in Osborne Village without proper zoning and approvals. The information about the property has been sent to the zoning department for them to look into it. So it sounds very likely that the parking lot is illegal. Hopefully the City takes action against it.
Good on you for stepping up and taking appropriate action. So many of us would be content to complain and leave it at that. Please keep us informed on how this goes. We may need several of us filing a similar complaint if the city doesn't take action after this.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I heard back from Planning, Property, and Development earlier this morning. They said that parking lots are not permitted in Osborne Village without proper zoning and approvals. The information about the property has been sent to the zoning department for them to look into it. So it sounds very likely that the parking lot is illegal. Hopefully the City takes action against it.
Thanks so much for contacting them about this. Keep us posted!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:26 PM

Agreed. Much appreciated for taking action. Does anyone know the outcome of the triangular parking lot at the old Bodegoes between Albert and Authur streets? I seem to remember someone filing a complaint with the City.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 5:36 PM

I'm not entirely sure what will happen next, but I don't think I will be hearing back again from the City. Unlike the city planners, I don't think the zoning department is very public facing. I imagine the zoning department will issue some sort of notice to Sunrex asking them to stop using the property for an unpermitted use or else risk being fined. At that point in time, Sunrex will probably try to rezone the property to C2, which would allow it to be used as a parking lot. Rezoning properties always goes to a vote with the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development. Sherri Rollins is the head of that Committee and also the City Councilor for Osborne Village. In the past, she has expressed strong resistance to rezoning residential properties to commercial in Osborne Village (for good reason). So essentially I'm guessing that Sunrex will try to rezone the property and SPC Property and Development will deny that rezoning. Not sure what Sunrex would do with the lot after that. Hopefully sell it to a developer who would like to build some actual housing.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:54 PM

There is an RFP out for soil remediation work at 145 Osborne Street (the vacant lot next to the old Basils). Looks like the City is doing the required work to sell the property. Looking forward to something finally getting built at such a prime location.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbending View Post
There is an RFP out for soil remediation work at 145 Osborne Street (the vacant lot next to the old Basils). Looks like the City is doing the required work to sell the property. Looking forward to something finally getting built at such a prime location.
I always thought that'd be a great spot for a hostel or something along those lines.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I always thought that'd be a great spot for a hostel or something along those lines.
A Boutique Hotel would also work well.
Mid sized hotel with hopefuly a couple of retail spots, eatery.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
A Boutique Hotel would also work well.
Mid sized hotel with hopefuly a couple of retail spots, eatery.
Yeah I’d really like to see more of those get built, myself.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 11:35 PM
surely you agree with me

I thought that site had already been sold.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 11:36 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what will happen next, but I don't think I will be hearing back again from the City. Unlike the city planners, I don't think the zoning department is very public facing. I imagine the zoning department will issue some sort of notice to Sunrex asking them to stop using the property for an unpermitted use or else risk being fined. At that point in time, Sunrex will probably try to rezone the property to C2, which would allow it to be used as a parking lot. Rezoning properties always goes to a vote with the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development. Sherri Rollins is the head of that Committee and also the City Councilor for Osborne Village. In the past, she has expressed strong resistance to rezoning residential properties to commercial in Osborne Village (for good reason). So essentially I'm guessing that Sunrex will try to rezone the property and SPC Property and Development will deny that rezoning. Not sure what Sunrex would do with the lot after that. Hopefully sell it to a developer who would like to build some actual housing.

Open a 311. Then it gets a number and is tracked.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I thought that site had already been sold.
From what I see from searching the city web site it was approved by the Property and Development committee to be sold to a numbered company in summer of 2021 for slightly more than $1.6 million.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Open a 311. Then it gets a number and is tracked.
Good idea, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 1:40 AM

So maybe it’s site prep

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:01 PM

Whats the single family home situation like is Osborne these days? Am starting to wonder when we'll see an end of the single family homes on the East side (basically area between Donald and Osborne). Went through there again recently and its like all condos/duplexes now with only a few small pockets of single family homes.
Its a good thing overall for sure but just surprised how fast its changing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Whats the single family home situation like is Osborne these days? Am starting to wonder when we'll see an end of the single family homes on the East side (basically area between Donald and Osborne). Went through there again recently and its like all condos/duplexes now with only a few small pockets of single family homes.
Its a good thing overall for sure but just surprised how fast its changing.
Still lots of detached houses in Osborne Village. Many of them were converted into duplexes/triplexes/4-plexes/rooming houses decades ago. Wardlaw and Gertrude (west of Osborne) still have lots of larger, more expensive single family houses. The short streets between River and Stradbrook still have lots of smaller detached houses too. It's really just the major roads (River, Stradbrook, Osborne, Scott) that have had a lot of multi-family developments.

Streets with mostly houses: Lewis, Cauchon, Bryce, Bole, Pulford, Gerard, Norquay, Nassau, Wilmot, Wardlaw, Gertrude
Streets with mostly apartments/condos: Roslyn, River, Stradbrook, Osborne, Scott

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Still lots of detached houses in Osborne Village. Many of them were converted into duplexes/triplexes/4-plexes/rooming houses decades ago. Wardlaw and Gertrude (west of Osborne) still have lots of larger, more expensive single family houses. The short streets between River and Stradbrook still have lots of smaller detached houses too. It's really just the major roads (River, Stradbrook, Osborne, Scott) that have had a lot of multi-family developments.

Streets with mostly houses: Lewis, Cauchon, Bryce, Bole, Pulford, Gerard, Norquay, Nassau, Wilmot, Wardlaw, Gertrude
Streets with mostly apartments/condos: Roslyn, River, Stradbrook, Osborne, Scott
Yeah the west side still feels more neighbourhoodish - east side feels relatively split up into a few small islands now of single-family homes because of like what you said about Scott, Stradbrook, River, etc.

Will be interesting to see how it looks soon.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan