HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 8:42 PM

wow, I've only been gone or a year and the place is different! Can't wait till I come home for Christmas to get to see all this in person.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 12:23 AM

September 21, 2007.

Alta Phoenix

Phoenix Bio-Science High School

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:36 AM
Walkable CITIES!

Lite Rail

I was just in Phoenix. I was also there about a year ago. My God, how are business surviving with that lite rail project. It doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly. Are there any major projects being developed along the Central Avenue line that are due specifically to the line?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:12 PM

Downtown Businesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaniDesDev View Post
I was just in Phoenix. I was also there about a year ago. My God, how are business surviving with that lite rail project. It doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly. Are there any major projects being developed along the Central Avenue line that are due specifically to the line?
Many smaller businesses have closed or moved away from downtown because of the construction mess.

My thoughts exactly on the slow progress on the light rail; I believe the downtown stretches of the light rail are supposed to be done sometime in late 2008.

On the Central Ave projects, we hear of many, Toll Bros Towers on Central & Thomas, and Ciello Towers on Central & Columbus, among many others, but nothing solid has taken place yet. I have a feeling they're holding off on those major projects until the light rail project is done to avoid making things worse than they already are.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:03 PM

Progress Report...

I walked around downtown Phoenix on Sunday afternoon to check out what's going on.

Central Park East building on 1st Street and Van Buren, looks like it's moving along.

City Scape - They had the ground-breaking ceremonies over a month ago, but not much work has been done since then. I saw a sign on the fence about some Variance Hearing scheduled on November 27th, not for the FAA's tower height concerns, but for the building setback from the street.

They took the crane down from 44-Monroe a week earlier.

A little further north on 4th Ave & Filmore, there's a glimmer of hope, at least they got the sign up! Hopefully it'll come soon enough in our lifetime!

Further north on Central Avenue, the Cielo Towers site - Still an empty lot with the sales office, but hopefully that'll change soon.

And finally on Central and Highland, looks like another disappointment - They took the advertising signs from the dirt lot, where 50-story Brophy Tower was planned. I'm not sure what happened, but like others said, the builder might have backed out, so it looks like it's going to be a dirt lot for a while longer.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:15 PM

Ugly Buildings...

I'd like to get everyone's opinions on some of the eye sores in downtown Phoenix and north Central, which I think need to be replaced with something that looks better.

Just to the southeast of US Bank Tower in downtown, The Heard Building on the left side of the picture is definitely an eye sore. About the only thing it has going for it is the large mural of Copper Square on the south wall of the building.

Formerly the Western Savings building. If you drive on Osborn approaching Central from either east or west, you'll see why I think this building is a big eye sore! Along with that upside down pyramid of a building! I think somebody was on drugs when they designed these 2 buildings!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:19 PM

And just for kicks, the YMCA building in downtown Phoenix, which is another old eye sore. Hmmm what if... I guess we can fantasize can't we?

Now:

Let's replace it with the Sears Tower!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:53 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMike View Post
A little further north on 4th Ave & Filmore, there's a glimmer of hope, at least they got the sign up! Hopefully it'll come soon enough in our lifetime!
Pretty sure copper pointe is dead. I think it's going to be a 5-story "boutique hotel" now.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
Pretty sure copper pointe is dead. I think it's going to be a 5-story "boutique hotel" now.
What? ... I didn't hear about that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 1:59 PM

I think the "Boutique Hotel" you were talking about is this: http://urbanliving360.com/propertyDe...ext=2&total=13

I think it's part of the CopperPoint project, the condo towers are seperate.

Incidentally, I made a mistake in a message and said 4th Ave & Filmore.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:35 PM

Copper Pointe has been redesigned and will only be 5 stories... The sign has been on that lot for about two years now...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:41 AM

what's the news with Omega??

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:09 PM

No news. I think they're just taking their time in a soft market. No need to rush. Just dust everything off once in a while and maybe get updated bids every few months for certain items. I think this project has a chance of happening, but not any time in the immediate future, totally dependent on market conditions.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 10:57 AM
Closed account

central avenue

i found this really cool vid on central ave. u guys have probably seen in but if not here it is. u can see all the light rail construction. im thinking its gonna cause a heck of a lot of accidents when it's done cuz it runs so quiet.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 2:42 PM

^ Have not seen that video. Very cool. This needs exposure.

--don

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:46 PM

Another tower to DT Phoenix!

Very cool video!

In other news the tower crane is now up for One Central Park East.

Here it is going up (photo courtesy of Archdevil):

Here's the impact it should have on the skyline (rendition courtesy of HX Guy):

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 12:15 AM
Skyriser

As this thread could use a bump anyway, there's a 2007 Year In Review superpost compilation thread/development timeline in the Mountain West subforum.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=143765

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 7:01 PM

Here's some great news: FAA gives go-ahead to CityScape project
Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 7, 2008 06:17 PM

Federal officials have cleared the $900 million CityScape high-rise project for takeoff.

On Monday, the Federal Aviation Administration ruled that the three-square block downtown Phoenix project poses no risk to aircraft that fly in and out of nearby Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport."It's what we expected all along," said John Bacon, spokesman for Scottsdale-based RED Development. "This was within the guidelines that the city established," he said referring to downtown height rules the city adopted in 2006.

The developer scaled back initial plans for four planned CityScape towers, one over 500 feet; they are now slated to be around 400 feet.But those heights could change, Bacon added. Monday's FAA ruling helps clear the way for one building, with hotel rooms and condos, to rise as high as 510 feet.

It was a high stakes issue. If the FAA said the project was too tall, the city would have denied cityscape's building permit.

City leaders have touted CityScape, which broke ground in October, as a crucial downtown development. It's supported by more than $120 million in incentives from Phoenix. The hub of shops, hotels and offices, extends from First Avenue to Second Street, and from Washington to Jefferson streets.Demolition and other site work is underway and the first phase could open as early as 2009.

"We initially issued a Notice of Presumed Hazard because the structure heights exceeded several FAA obstruction standards," said FAA spokesman Ian Gregor.

After further review, the agency concluded that the projects "punches up" into an airspace buffer, but doesn't have a negative effect on flights, he added.

Over the years tall projects in both Phoenix and Tempe projects have fallen under FAA scrutiny. Each development is evaluated on its own merits and by how it would impact the airport, the FAA says.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
Closed account

new 22 story "Centerpoint Condominiums" going up near tempe's ASU campus.
taken from the 202 east

light rail station on central ave

New ASU's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism going up in downtown phoenix

new ASU dorms going up in downtown phoenix

New Renaissance Hotel at westgate in glendale

New Hampton Inn & Suites at westgate. opening in time for the superbowl

University of Phoenix Stadium at the westgate. I hate the name because it makes it sound like a college stadium, even though it's our perfesional football team that plays there.

Jobing.com arena at the westgate. home to the NHL's "Phoenix Coyotes"

Last edited by neworleans; Jan 17, 2008 at 8:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:38 PM
Editor

I was in Downtown Today, got some pics of 44 Monroe and the Shearaton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations