HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 6:25 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^lack of demand/yields from the business community?
Every flight I took from YEG-YVR on AC over the past 12-months was essentially full with no empty seats in Business. Should have nothing to do with demand imo.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 8:40 PM

Was AC not operating YYC-SFO a few years ago in place of the now 2x daily mainline UA?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 10:49 PM

AC downgauged or cut a significant amount of flights across its network for winter, with the hubs getting it worse. Many US flights cut for the winter entirely, with the CRJs moved to routes like YVR-YEG, plus CRJs replacing mainline on several YVR-USA routes. Then the mainline planes redirected to places like Mexico and Florida I guess, since those areas seem to be where the growth is. But I have been involved in airports for several decades+, and YVR-YEG has always bounced around between mainline and some Jazz (and before, Zip). Its relatively short distance, as well as always being a route that several carriers have a good presence on (AC and WS obviously, and then the Jetsgos and Flairs filling in the rest). Don't read too much into this winter's "downgrade" it is pretty normal and a sign they want to keep up the presence, but those larger jets can be better used for Tulum in winter

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 11:47 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Every flight I took from YEG-YVR on AC over the past 12-months was essentially full with no empty seats in Business. Should have nothing to do with demand imo.
You move resources around to make the best use of them.

My dad regularly flies business YVR-YEG-YVR and is almost always upgraded, no yield increase.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 2:57 AM

Quote:
You move resources around to make the best use of them.

My dad regularly flies business YVR-YEG-YVR and is almost always upgraded, no yield increase.
Well...that's a very narrow way of looking at things. maybe no yield increase, but more loyalty toward the brand and future revenue.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCity98 View Post
Was AC not operating YYC-SFO a few years ago in place of the now 2x daily mainline UA?
Pre-covid both UA and AC flew YYC-SFO 2x daily. AC briefly resumed the route, and I believe there was at least one summer they both operated the route before AC eventually dropped it.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 4:12 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post
Well...that's a very narrow way of looking at things. maybe no yield increase, but more loyalty toward the brand and future revenue.
Missing the point.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 3:26 AM

Quote:
It appears that the AC YEG-SFO is being downgraded from year-round to seasonal, commencing in October.
As a semi-regular user of this route, since I live in SF, and come back to family in Edmonton + prefer direct, this is a shame. Given I keep a close eye on this route I may have a couple insights to share here. There are a few different factors coming into play from my perspective.

1. Over the past two years AC has had some downward pricing pressure on this route. First via Flair and this summer via Westjet. They used to hold a total monopoly over the direct route and were commanding a premium price for the direct connection before. Flights on this route are very affordable these days along with the extra competition.
2. As an addendum to the point above, I think its been difficult for AC to compete on price point or experience on this route because they run a CRJ-900 aircraft. Competitors are running newer 737-800 aircraft with presumably better fuel efficiency.
3. Tech is on a cyclical downturn and one of the first things to go for many companies is reducing business class travel if possible.
4* Was also going to add that runway construction at SFO has been causing regular delays for this and similar flights the past few months, but it looks like that capacity bottleneck is now removed.

Anyway, probably some combination of all of these. Will see in a week what the load is like when I fly this route back home

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archyron View Post
As a semi-regular user of this route, since I live in SF, and come back to family in Edmonton + prefer direct, this is a shame. Given I keep a close eye on this route I may have a couple insights to share here. There are a few different factors coming into play from my perspective.

1. Over the past two years AC has had some downward pricing pressure on this route. First via Flair and this summer via Westjet. They used to hold a total monopoly over the direct route and were commanding a premium price for the direct connection before. Flights on this route are very affordable these days along with the extra competition.
2. As an addendum to the point above, I think its been difficult for AC to compete on price point or experience on this route because they run a CRJ-900 aircraft. Competitors are running newer 737-800 aircraft with presumably better fuel efficiency.
3. Tech is on a cyclical downturn and one of the first things to go for many companies is reducing business class travel if possible.
4* Was also going to add that runway construction at SFO has been causing regular delays for this and similar flights the past few months, but it looks like that capacity bottleneck is now removed.

Anyway, probably some combination of all of these. Will see in a week what the load is like when I fly this route back home
Thanks for posting. Look forward to your post on the load.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 7:11 PM
Scam Artist

It's always worth mentioning that Jazz is really hurting for planes and crews and it's only getting worse. After obliterating Calgary it only makes sense for the trimming to extend to YEG.

YEG-DEN has obviously seen a big seat bump by UA. It isn't SFO but that capacity helps for intra-US cnx.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 5:58 AM

Just flew the SFO-YEG route today on AC. The flight was only ~75% full. There was a fully empty business class row (out of 4), a fully empty exit row and a few passengers managed to spread out such that they got two seats to themselves. Normally this flight is 90%+ full so it definitely feels like Westjet is eating into AC's market share on this route this summer.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai...da_CRJ_900.php

In any case, this all doesn't really speak to the economics of the route in the winter when it used to be the only direct connection.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 8:44 PM
Community Guy

Nice!
---

New Edmonton Training Centre and Flight Simulator
Improving Access and Increasing Aviation Safety
May 10, 2024
Kanata, ON, May 10, 2024 – Canadian North proudly announces a significant stride in advancing pilot training in Canada. A state-of-the-art Boeing 737NG Full-Flight Simulator (FFS) will begin operations in August 2024 at our new training centre in Edmonton, Alberta.

The aviation industry in Canada faces a pressing challenge due to the increased demand for pilots and the simulator training they require. With many training facilities operating at near-maximum capacity, Canadian pilots must sometimes travel to alternate locations, including to the United States, to earn or maintain their proficiency.

Canadian North’s latest initiative addresses this critical gap head-on, adding essential pilot training capacity in-country. Housed in Canadian North’s new 30,000-square-foot training facility in Edmonton, our latest-generation 737NG FFS ensures reliable access for pilots to invaluable training sessions. From mastering flight deck procedures, including emergency checklists, to performing a variety of flying scenarios, this simulator serves as an indispensable tool for pilots to develop and hone their skills.

https://canadiannorth.com/latest_new...rticle-content

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 5:50 PM
Community Guy

Terminal​

Terminal Traffic: 628,758 passengers (Year-to-date 3,331,217 passengers) 2.5% (Year-to-date 1.5%)
Domestic 537,490 passengers (Year-to-date 2,555,866 passengers) -0.5% (Year-to-date -2.6%)
Transborder 75,439 passengers (Year-to-date 451,293 passengers) 45.8% (Year-to-date 19.1%)
International 15,829 passengers (Year-to-date 324,058 passengers) -25.7% (Year-to-date 15.9%)
Fixed Base Operators (FBO)​

52,466 passengers (Year-to-date 318,936 passengers) 10.6% (Year-to-date 11.3%)
Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)​

681,224 passengers (Year-to-date 3,650,153 passengers) 3.1% (Year-to-date 2.3%)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Terminal​

Terminal Traffic: 628,758 passengers (Year-to-date 3,331,217 passengers) 2.5% (Year-to-date 1.5%)
Domestic 537,490 passengers (Year-to-date 2,555,866 passengers) -0.5% (Year-to-date -2.6%)
Transborder 75,439 passengers (Year-to-date 451,293 passengers) 45.8% (Year-to-date 19.1%)
International 15,829 passengers (Year-to-date 324,058 passengers) -25.7% (Year-to-date 15.9%)
Fixed Base Operators (FBO)​

52,466 passengers (Year-to-date 318,936 passengers) 10.6% (Year-to-date 11.3%)
Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)​

681,224 passengers (Year-to-date 3,650,153 passengers) 3.1% (Year-to-date 2.3%)

Ouch...International stinks! Which flights got dropped from last year's schedule to cause this much decrease.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 8:28 PM

-25.7% is rolling 12 month. YTD is +15.9%. Hopefully, we can keep that up with KLM, Condor and Sun destinations. AC seasonal cut of SFO and downgauge of CUN is not helping though. WS picking up AC's slack with +1 weekly to CUN and +1w to HUX.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...on-region-with

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taras View Post
-25.7% is rolling 12 month. YTD is +15.9%. Hopefully, we can keep that up with KLM, Condor and Sun destinations. AC seasonal cut of SFO and downgauge of CUN is not helping though. WS picking up AC's slack with +1 weekly to CUN and +1w to HUX.

Might that same analysis also apply to the domestic numbers, YTD vs TTM?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:10 AM

5x weekly KLM this winter is exciting though!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
5x weekly KLM this winter is exciting though!
It sure is.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taras View Post

I could be wrong but I was quite sure the -25.7% is a comparison between June 2024 and June 2023.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 3:43 PM

I hate even thinking this, but I wonder if flights from Europe might be reduced over the next year or two, as I'd think there'd be fewer Europeans travelling to Jasper, etc. Or are those flights far more populated by Canadians flying to Europe? Maybe the impact of the Jasper wildfires will not be too bad?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton