HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 3:13 PM
Ham-burgher

It all evens out in the end.

But near the end of the season I used to hate seeing teams I liked being high in the standings while their competitors still had a few games-in-hand.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:11 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Wow - surprised this hasn’t blown up on here yet:

Canucks acquire Lindholm from Flames for Kuzmenko, prospects, draft picks
http://https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/checked-all-the-boxes-flames-conroy-satisfied-with-return-for-lindholm/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:18 AM
Community Guy

Vancouver WANTS the cup... damn.

Calgary is one player away from a full on rebuild.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:35 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I think (hope) we still trade Marky & Tanev - and Hanifin too if we can’t sign him.
BRING ON THE YOUTH!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 4:39 PM
Change is good

Could Vancouver and Edmonton play against each other in a round of the playoffs this year? That could be pretty fun. Hopefully not first round though.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 5:27 PM

Big move by Vancouver. Quinn Hughes went to management and said he wanted Tanev. I don't know how hard they tried for that.

Currently sitting with six C on the roster, but Miller and Pettersson often play on the same line. Should be fun!

Lindholm was Calgary's only All-Star for the game this weekend, LMAO.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Cause the team is incapable of scoring without Mark Scheifele. We need to get a legit 2C desperately. I really hope we get Lindholm at the deadline.
Vancouver Canucks: Sorry, not sorry.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:47 PM

Jets acquire Sean Monahan from Montreal

The Winnipeg Jets have acquired forward Sean Monahan in a trade with the Montreal Canadiens.

Montreal will receive a first-round pick in 2024 and a conditional third-round pick in 2027, the club confirmed.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...ck/ar-BB1hG492

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:24 PM
Project manger

Great pick up by Winnipeg and gave up very little in return. The jets 1st round this year wont be a very good pick ( more like a glorified 2nd rounder like the Canucks will be as well ). I had hopped the Canucks would have been more looking for someone a little younger out of say... Anaheim : Trevor Zegras

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 3:55 AM

During today’s NHL press conference, Gary Bettman name dropped the usual suspects SLC, Atlanta, and Houston for expansion, but also mentioned KC, Cincinnati, and Omaha as cities that have also currently expressed at least preliminary interest in NHL expansion. Quebec City was still mentioned, but separately.

Worth noting that the Omaha metro area is around 100k larger than Quebec City and has a modern arena (CHI Health Center which seats 17,100 for hockey), and Cincinnati is currently looking to build a new arena to replace Heritage Bank Center. It is difficult to take Omaha seriously, but if Quebec City has been part of these discussions for so long, there’s no reason why Omaha can’t be either. Cincinnati is also a bit of a hard sell given current support levels for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but it could be an interesting way of pulling from the Indiana and Kentucky markets, which are pretty much untapped from a hockey perspective.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 4:39 PM
Community Guy

While I am not a huge fan of the All-Star weekend, modern skillz comp and the like, I thought that the one last night was reasonably entertaining.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 5:12 PM

How is it even possible for a human like Connor McDavid to exist? I haven't put much thought into it but in what other sport or what other examples are there where one guy is the best at so many different aspects of the game?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 5:16 PM
Community Guy

Ohtani, Messi, Verstappen, it happens.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 5:42 PM

Those guys are super human and are the best overall. Like, they have the best combined package. But in how many specific skills are the number one? And how do they compare to Connor? Connor is the fastest, has the best hands, best vision and so on. Not necessarily the best unequivocally, but at the 99.9th percentile of his league for those things.

Messi I'd say had the best dribbling and vision. And certainly an accurate shooter. I'd say he is the closest to Connor.

Shoehei, while clearly the best, I don't know what specific skills he is clearly number one at. Mind you, I don't watch nearly as much baseball as I did back in the day. Plus, baseball has a lot of specialization like football, but not as much.

Motorsport is just very hard to discern. The only driver I can say that I saw was the best at multiple facets was Schumi. He could drive smoothly and he could drive on the ragged edge. He was also the best wet weather driver. All you had to do was watch him in 1998, the first year of grooved tires and see him in qualifying in Montreal. He would purposely slightly drift those back tires up on the apex coming out of corners. He would even purposely just nick the wall with the back tires if it meant picking up speed with a wider line coming out of the corner. Nobody else was doing that and probably very few if any could do that. Then I saw him at Indy in 2005 at the US GP and watched him atop a hill and you would see he was quite clearly the most precise driver through the last corners before the start/finish straight. A robot couldn't have been more accurate with his lines lap in lap out through those corners. His hands never had to correct. No other driver looked like that.

Last edited by megadude; Feb 3, 2024 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
How is it even possible for a human like Connor McDavid to exist? I haven't put much thought into it but in what other sport or what other examples are there where one guy is the best at so many different aspects of the game?
Agree McDavid is incredible, and as a Flames fan, I can’t help still cheer for him because he is incredible. I gaurantee too that McDavid can do the other sports like baseball basketball, soccer, football better than their elite athletes could do hockey. Incredible athlete. Super humble guy too

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 7:40 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Ohtani, Messi, Verstappen, it happens.
I’ll add Tiger

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 7:59 PM
Community Guy

^you mean John Daly. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 8:21 PM

I don't particularly watch golf but just followed the majors for the results (even though I live a few hundred metres from Glen Abbey). But I just read that Tiger is easily one of the top few greatest putters ever. However, he never lead in the PGA in driving distance but still drove the ball pretty far. Of course, there's also accuracy from the tee and fairways and the rough and there's playing from hazards like the bunker. Have no idea how good he was in all the different skill categories but was obviously one of if not the finest combination packages ever. Plus, there's the mental aspect like playing under pressure and closing out with the lead, etc. He probably was #1 for that as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 9:01 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Yeah I guess I wasn’t thinking so much individual skills but rather how remarkable these individuals are to be the single person on the planet that are that much better than the elite 1% group that make it to that level of their field (Gretzky, McDavid, etc.).
Not sure I explained that very well but I hope it’s understandable.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 9:13 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Hearing rumours of Tanev to TO - to happen in fairly short order.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada