HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusDoaner View Post
West Loop is starting to look like Midtown

Edit: Draft presentation is up - https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...esentation.pdf

Last edited by Randomguy34; Jan 5, 2023 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:46 PM

From my model:

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:58 PM
DENNAB

^Amazing work, while it may not be that tall it sure expands the skyline westward and will hopefully be joined by many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Yea you gonna have to think if they do get Chase 700ft won’t be the permanent height. The current chase tower here in the city is listed at 850ft. BMO is listed at 727ft and Bank of America is at 817ft. Chase is gonna ask for a height increase hopefully it’s at 900-1000ft but when was the last time Chicago got a 1000ft office tower , I know it’s mixed but this would be nice by the expressway

Not necessarily, this isn't intended to be a signature tower like their NYC headquarters, just some nice new office space.

It could happen but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The article states they don't have an anchor tenant yet. If true, this is still a way from happening I'd think.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see which proposed office will actually be the next to start. That area has several other proposals competing for limited potential tenants, not to mention the other recently construction buildings that are not yet full and some newer building that recently lost large tenants.

I don't recall Related ever developing an office tower in Chicago, but I'm preparing for a bait and switch when they actually get to budgeting this.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 7:08 PM

Wake me up when they actually pull permits to build something here. I may be in assisted living by then so you might have to yell.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 7:35 PM

I'm seeing two different heights on the diagrams...

621' and 664'6"

I'm guessing that 700' will be the max planning height.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 7:36 PM

i really like the new design. it looks like a great fit for this area and will be a nice addition to the skyline

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 7:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
Yeah, it will be interesting to see which proposed office will actually be the next to start. That area has several other proposals competing for limited potential tenants, not to mention the other recently construction buildings that are not yet full and some newer building that recently lost large tenants.

I don't recall Related ever developing an office tower in Chicago, but I'm preparing for a bait and switch when they actually get to budgeting this.
I think they have a slight advantage in being closer to Ogilvie than any other tower in Fulton Market. It's actually a shorter walk to go from 725 W Randolph to Ogilvie than to go from 725 W Randolph to McDonald's or Google. They won't need to run shuttle buses to Metra. And if Chase is the tenant, they will actually be 1000' closer to Ogilvie/Union after moving from Chase Tower.

With the vacant lots on Randolph/Washington east of the Kennedy filling in fast, it will even turn into a pretty nice walk except for crossing the onramp. There's a reason the landscape design is heavily oriented toward the Kennedy overpasses.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 8:44 PM

Man.... That deepening Kennedy canyon

I feel like Related is trying to spin this to Chase, but hasn't landed them yet. Maybe Chase is still shopping around and waiting to see how macro conditions evolve over the coming weeks.

Either way, West Loop continues to show it's pushing the boundaries.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 11:17 PM
1st Ward

Wow, I really like it! Excellent design, really dig the boxy vibes it gives. The setbacks give it a nice art deco touch as well.

Having its setbacks located to the south makes it appear its giving deference to Skybridge, which was among the first highrises to get built west of the Kennedy in the West Loop, long before Fulton Market was a household name. At the time it was an odd man out, and now its getting lost in the forest.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:56 AM

time to cap the Kennedy!

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Wake me up when they actually pull permits to build something here. I may be in assisted living by then so you might have to yell.
Yea I'll believe it when I see them digging. This one has a cursed feeling about it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 6:37 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
time to cap the Kennedy!
Good grief, I wish. We all wish.

BTW, on Monday the Grant Park Advisory Council is putting on a forum about the future of Grant Park. Hopefully Chicago's 2nd most onerous trench will be discussed (kinda doubt it, but here's hoping).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Good grief, I wish. We all wish.

BTW, on Monday the Grant Park Advisory Council is putting on a forum about the future of Grant Park. Hopefully Chicago's 2nd most onerous trench will be discussed (kinda doubt it, but here's hoping).
Thank for the heads up on this! Here's a link in case anyone else is interested in attending: https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoGPAC...3265593593488/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
From my model:
Digging how this one is having a visual convo with 640 Washington across the Kennedy.

Agreed that a cap would have been lovely. They really should have done it when they had the chance several years ago when the started rebuilding the circle and the on-ramps...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:20 PM

Why does the Kennedy have ramps both at the edges and in the middle of the expressway to begin with? I haven't seen any other place with that many ramps. Seems like a no-brainer to at least remove the middle ramps to improve pedestrian safety.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Why does the Kennedy have ramps both at the edges and in the middle of the expressway to begin with? I haven't seen any other place with that many ramps. Seems like a no-brainer to at least remove the middle ramps to improve pedestrian safety.
There's so much low-hanging fruit to improve walkability in this city, even in the downtown core where it should be a major focus. Why are State Street sidewalks so narrow in the Gold Coast and River North, as if we need two lanes of street parking there of all places? Unfortunately leadership doesn't seem to get it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
There's so much low-hanging fruit to improve walkability in this city, even in the downtown core where it should be a major focus. Why are State Street sidewalks so narrow in the Gold Coast and River North, as if we need two lanes of street parking there of all places? Unfortunately leadership doesn't seem to get it.
Agreed. I don't expect the anyone to cap the Kennedy anytime soon, but there's things that can be done to better connect the West Loop to the Loop.

I do think it's interesting in the city planning doc linked earlier how there's an emphasis to Ogilville proximity. Maybe that would have been there regardless of the "Chase" factor. However, if Chase is shopping around for a new location, highlighting how close Ogilville is make sense to me.....

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 8:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I'm seeing two different heights on the diagrams...

621' and 664'6"

I'm guessing that 700' will be the max planning height.
665' would still be noticeably taller than a lot of the planned buildings for the area so Chase could have its mini signature tower.

621' not as much... I wonder what will be the deciding factor.

Quote:
I feel like Related is trying to spin this to Chase, but hasn't landed them yet. Maybe Chase is still shopping around and waiting to see how macro conditions evolve over the coming weeks.

Either way, West Loop continues to show it's pushing the boundaries.
Chase deserves a better collaborator than Related and a more grandiose project than this IMO, especially in Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Chase deserves a better collaborator than Related and a more grandiose project than this IMO, especially in Chicago.
Which is why I fully suspect Chase is talking to other developers. I would be surprised if conversations with Sterling Bay haven't happened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals