HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Re: City of Guelph

"Making a difference"

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:46 PM

Vaughan is growing up as a city. Have a new logo and new subway stop and building a new downtown.

The next step is to obviously change that library logo.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
owen sound is the e.e. cummings of canada
I don't know anything about EE Cummings' work. Just know he's a poet.

But as for Owen Sound's slogan of "where you want to live", that's a little arrogant.

Ya it's on a nice body of water, but do YOU want to live under 10 feet of snow in the winter? If you like boating, skiing and snowmobiling, then okay, you may want to live there. But pretty sure majority of people would rather live somewhere else, just like 99% of all people. Pretty pompous to suggest everyone wants to live in Owen Sound.

Anyway, googled it and sure enough, from 92.3 radio's website...

Quote:
With the majority of councillors in Owen Sound brand new to the job, they thought it might be a good time to make a few changes around city hall.

They’re starting with the city’s official slogan which right now is “Owen Sound…where you want to live”.

There have been a number of suggestions brought forward by a Toronto consultant and now the city wants residents’ input.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:03 PM

And I just looked up a 2012 article from Owen Sound Sun Times about Grey County's logo.

Quote:
The slogan “Colour it your way” will replace “Beautiful . . . Naturally.” The new logo will feature an angular shape — to represent area mountains and the Niagara Escarpment — with concentric circles, next to the words Grey County.

Owen Sound/Grey County Coun. ********t said of the new logo. “This really does grow on you and the more you look at it, the better it is.”

The county paid Toronto-based ******* $30,000 to create its new logo and tag line.

County council gave the design a thumbs up despite a request from Grey Highlands council to defer the decision until lower-tier municipalities were consulted. One member of Grey Highlands council had called the logo designs “disgusting.”
Owen Sound Mayor ******* praised the new logo, calling it “tremendous” and one that everyone should be “proud of.”

******* said more than 50 logos and 150 tag lines were considered and explored before the winning design was selected.

I don't think it's bad. But I also don't think it's good. I also can't believe this cost 30 grand. And why does it need to be outsourced? Only a design company from the big city can make this? You'd think local councillors would want to keep it local, especially for something so simple.

Last edited by megadude; Feb 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Hands-down the most pompous slogan in recent Canadian history:

investkamloopswithfruitloops

BC is a wonderful place, but this slogan reeks of arrogance.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:28 PM

^ Yup.

I've read on here how people get the impression that many Vancouver and BC people look down on others, particularly the others out west. And that's a real thing, not just there, but in TO and Cali and NYC and London, etc. Hell I remember when I kind of felt that way in my early days of going away to school before I realized how dumb that was.

But it sure looks like the BC gov't is trying to institutionalize it with that slogan!

It's one thing for a private enterprise to say they have the best beer in the world, or a politician to say they are the best country in the world to rally troops or to buy votes, but for a major provincial government to put it so overtly and permanently on display is taking it to a whole other level.

Anyway, they realized their mistake and it was erased.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:35 PM
arf

I always like Supernatural for the BC slogan.

Grey County is reading like a paint ad. Anyone remember "Cover the Earth" from Sherwin Williams paint? That's what I think when I see the Grey County one.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; Feb 16, 2018 at 8:02 PM. Reason: it's ad not add...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:

Grey County is reading like a paint add. Anyone remember "Cover the Earth" from Sherwin Williams paint? That's what I think when I see the Grey County one.
Super. Natural. British Columbia.

Yeah, that was an inspired slogan. By contrast, "The Best Place on Earth" is pretty weak. It's the ad-man's equivalent of the villain wrestler who dishes out cheap insults at the city to draw boos from the crowd.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 8:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Grey County is reading like a paint ad. Anyone remember "Cover the Earth" from Sherwin Williams paint? That's what I think when I see the Grey County one.
less than a km from my home there is a SW paint place with the familar (terrible) logo:

swp

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:01 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Sounds like Chestermere's logo, another place I looked up after seeing their logo, it is on a seriously small lake.
Chestermere is on a seriously irrigation reservoir which used to be not much more than a slough before redirected Bow River irrigation waters made it what it is today.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:52 AM

St. Marys may be smaller and lesser known than Stratford up the road, but their logo is better. Though I think the tower is a little too intricate for my liking.

Stratford is the more refined and cultured town given all the theatre there, but you'd never know it from the logo. Seems like it should swap logos with St. Marys. Though St Marys does have a charming downtown and is also home to the Canadian Baseball HOF.

I do like how both subtly incorporate the river and not make it the focal point.

Last edited by megadude; Feb 17, 2018 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:09 AM

Some from Oxford County.

Okay so these are pretty bad other than Tillsonburg and Ingersoll, with the latter being very pretty. From all that I've seen in Ontario so far, I think I want to put Ingersoll top 5 maybe even top 3.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 3:55 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Zorra?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That Winterhawks (Blackhawks) logo is so beautiful (one of the best in sports), though I expect at one point it will be relegated to the history books.
It's supposed to be flattering, though. Teams get named after cool stuff, not weak-ass stuff.

Will the NHL Mtl Canadiens have to be renamed too? After all, they're also named after a group that was oppressed in this country for centuries, if that's reason enough to ditch a name.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 4:36 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It's supposed to be flattering, though. Teams get named after cool stuff, not weak-ass stuff.

Will the NHL Mtl Canadiens have to be renamed too? After all, they're also named after a group that was oppressed in this country for centuries, if that's reason enough to ditch a name.
The logo isn't profiting off of a stereotype of French Canadians. It might look like a toilet bowl but it isn't as tasteless as the Cleveland Indians logo.

The Blackhawks logo actually isn't too bad because it isn't an extreme caricature and Blackhawk isn't a slur. "Redskins" is a generally offensive word and the Cleveland Indians logo is basically the native version of minstrel blackface but still, most native people have bigger things to worry about than logos.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:30 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay's port authority got a new logo recently. It looks like something from the 90s:

https://firedogpr.com/portfolio_page...nder-bay-logo/

Here are Thunder Bay and area's logos. Despite being on the largest freshwater lake in the world and focusing so heavily on water based tourism, only half of the logos have water in them. Seven of them feature rock formations.

As mentioned before, Thunder Bay's is a thunderbird referencing "Thunderbird Mountain". Fort William First Nation, where the mountain is actually located, takes a more literal depiction of the mountain and an eagle. Oliver Paipoonge was good in the 1990s but it's dated now. Nipigon, I thought they had a contest to design a new one but obviously they lost. Red Rock's I'm not sure about, that is pulled from their website but it could be a tourism logo. Red Rock Indian Band probably has the coolest logo. Dorion, I don't know what is with them but that is not what our canyons look like wtf? This isn't Utah Jesus Christ. Neebing, is that a township or a newspaper??? O'Connor's is cute, great use of clip art 10/10 would put on the cover of a grade 6 book report. Conmee voted for Obama in '08 AND '12. Shuniah just got that logo, I had no idea they changed it. It used to be just the crest. As the oldest municipality in Northwestern Ontario you'd think they'd have something a little more historic looking.

And Gillies. Fucking Gillies. Gotta love Gillies. Can you tell that it's a farming community in a river valley and used to have a railway? That is the town's actual logo. I'm pretty sure that's the original drawing from year's ago, but they have a digital trace of it on this page that looks a bit better.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 6:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I don't know anything about EE Cummings' work. Just know he's a poet.

e e cummings wrote in all lowercase and without punctuation etc and had his name legally changed so it was lowercase which was very radical then but is pretty commonplace now in logo design etc

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

Does anyone else see this as Woodstock giving us the middle finger?

In all honesty what is the grey/blue/teal blob thing supposed to represent anyways?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

This is generally my view too but if most people in the group that's supposed to be represented by a logo think it's offensive, then my attitude is "sure, change the goddam logo".

Still, it brings to mind this story...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2498

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:55 PM

Up above I like that Dorion logo a lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada