HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
Speaking of short and squat, what is the "shadow building" just north of the north residential tower on Red River? It also seems the east west street has been restored, and there is another shadow building (taller) directly east, which seems to be on the site of the former children's hospital. There is seemingly more room on the hospital site than these two towers take up. Could one be the hotel?
I think the shadow building behind the purple renders, along I35, is the hotel. One of the (poorly modeled) buildings along Red River is the already-complete Innovation Tower, but the other is a mystery.

EDIT: Actually, now that I dig into it a little, the new hotel goes in the lot at 1-35 and 12th street, directly behind the southernmost purple building. So it's NOT pictured here. That other I-35 building is another mystery tower.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:39 AM

Here’s the Latest Look for Downtown Austin’s HealthSouth Redevelopment

https://austin.towers.net/heres-the-...redevelopment/

The 1.73-acre city-owned downtown property at 1215 Red River Street, formerly home to the HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital, is the lesser-known cousin of the significantly larger Central Health redevelopment — the latter project’s bringing a roughly 14-acre planned unit development with commercial and residential uses under the auspices of the University of Texas and Dell Medical School’s “Innovation District” branding to the former home of Brackenridge Hospital over 10 to 15 years.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 9:00 PM

City council takes this one back up on Thursday, Sept 29.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:01 PM

Plan advances to turn HealthSouth site into 2 towers with nearly 1,000 apartments

Quarter of units to be affordable housing; Negotiations underway for master development agreement

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-partners.html

A plan to transform downtown Austin's old HealthSouth building has taken a significant step forward.

City Council last week approved moving ahead with negotiations for a master development agreement with Aspen Heights Partners LLC.

The Austin-based real estate development firm wants to build two apartment high-rises on city-owned sites at 1215 Red River St. and 606 East 12th St. They will be within the quickly changing Palm District and some expect this could serve as a catalyst for more development on the northern end of the Central Business District.

Of the 921 units planned across the two 37-story towers, 232 — about 25% — will be affordable housing for low-income residents. That represents an increase from the 116 affordable units offered in prior plans and showcases how the city is negotiating for more community benefits in real estate projects, especially on public land.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 5:37 AM

What are the plans to add extra hospitals to the medical district? The new Seton hospital is too small to be the tertiary care hospital for all of Austin.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
What are the plans to add extra hospitals to the medical district? The new Seton hospital is too small to be the tertiary care hospital for all of Austin.
The new Seton hospital can support additional floors being built on top. Read that a few years back on some construction docs, but can’t recall where.

Long-term, additional towers may be needed.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 7:48 PM

This ancient Towers article has some Dell Med School master planning goodness. If that's up to date, we've got a lot of expansion left to go at the Brack/Erwin Center sites. They include a Cancer Center and a Psych Ward, among other things.

https://austin.towers.net/downtowns-...plan-drawings/

EDIT: it's kind of cute, but back in 2013 UT included an Urban Rail station as part of the master plan.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
The new Seton hospital can support additional floors being built on top. Read that a few years back on some construction docs, but can’t recall where.

Long-term, additional towers may be needed.
Almost 50 years ago when my brother was the Co-CEO of Old Seton in West Campus, he oversaw the building of the current location on 35th. That project when built had the top three floors left as empty shells for future expansion.
He also directed the complex move to that new location. It was quite headache for him, but it went smoothly. I scavenged some cabinets from a 3rd floor nurses’ station in the empty old building that still serve as my garage workbench.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 11:25 PM

This is on the 01/23 Design Commission agenda. There are no new renderings in the backup file.

https://services.austintexas.gov/edi....cfm?id=401302

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:20 AM
クラブトクヨ

I like the base design!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:23 PM

The wide tower on the right is part of the proposal? Because it looks like it goes right over red river

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:49 PM

I don't think the building are shown to scale in this render. The one on the left doesn't seem to give enough room for the 12 and Red River hotel either.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:45 PM

gonna be a big no from me

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 6:36 PM

The point tower is nice. The other is a wide, whacky wall. Not a fan.

I'd actually prefer some restraint around the Capitol. Bring on the height, but let's keep it simple and handsome, stone and steel.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 6:39 PM

I'm just surprised that this doesn't block any CVC's. Ha!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
I'm just surprised that this doesn't block any CVC's. Ha!
I was going to say the same thing. The picture makes it seem that these towers are directly east of the capital and I swear there is a CVC there. I could be wrong and sometimes I am.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
I was going to say the same thing. The picture makes it seem that these towers are directly east of the capital and I swear there is a CVC there. I could be wrong and sometimes I am.
I'm 99% sure there is one. It goes right between these two towers if I'm not mistaken. That's why the white thin tower is shaped the way it is. The rest of that plot is taken up by the CVC.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
This explains the CVC situation:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:57 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
This third image shows what's up. Also, a view corridor slices through these two if I'm not mistaken.

Corridor map here.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...542333578&z=19

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This explains the CVC situation:

Thank you for that graphic. I am sure some boomer austinites will still complain about not being able to see the capital.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin