HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:09 PM

Guess the design of this one changed again a little from what I can tell from this rendering. No rooftop commercial anymore lol.

https://www.metrocommercial.com/land...ad-washington/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:17 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Has this project been permitted and financed yet?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Has this project been permitted and financed yet?
IIRC it can be built by-right, it’s just waiting on some finance.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:18 PM

Looks like the ZBA found those permits they lost:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-361947.pdf
Does anyone more well versed in matters like this have any idea where this project stands?
*cough cough* Aaamazarite *cough cough*

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:56 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Looks like the ZBA found those permits they lost:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-361947.pdf
Does anyone more well versed in matters like this have any idea where this project stands?
*cough cough* Aaamazarite *cough cough*
No idea where it stands right now, but Blatstein generally likes to only do one big project at a time and he's working on the Inquirer Building police HQ right now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
No idea where it stands right now, but Blatstein generally likes to only do one big project at a time and he's working on the Inquirer Building police HQ right now.
No big deal. That lot has been empty for 30 years, so what if it takes Blatstein another 30 years to do something. Doesn't he have similar lots in various parts of the City? Other then his house, what's the last new construction he's been a part of?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:22 PM

Exclamation Make it smaller

I hate this project nothing in the area is at the 426 foot range not to mention how it would block the sun for the home owners on 13th st. I hope that it never gets built at the projected height. Please keep it under 250 feet. :

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstilt View Post
I hate this project nothing in the area is at the 426 foot range not to mention how it would block the sun for the home owners on 13th st. I hope that it never gets built at the projected height. Please keep it under 250 feet. :
Really? You bumped the thread for this?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:10 PM
PHL

Quote:
The sun's position in the sky changes depending on the time of year. It won't be permanently blocking anything for anyone. Lame comment, keep it tall.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:13 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Welcome to the big city, NIMBY.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Welcome to the big city, NIMBY.
His other post in the Laurel thread says he wants to see more tall buildings...We've been getting some...um...interesting people here these last couple days.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 9:05 PM

While we're all here, now that the Inky building is almost wrapped up, we should hear about this soon, right?

Right?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:27 AM

Talking

Quote:
You hate this project? You know that area of Broad Street is considered, "Center City." It's the place where they build TALL buildings. If you haven't noticed, they just built a new Comcast building at 1,121 feet. Almost 5 times what you are suggesting. Do you really think they would consider that proposal because a few people may not get enough "sunshine units?" Especially if it gets in the way of progress, what our great city really needs. I'm really tired of looking at that humongous vacant lot, aren't you? Let's not step in the way of progress for petty issues. Besides, with global warming becoming a threat, a little shade may be ideal. More floors, more jobs
Sometimes it boggles the mind

Last edited by Inquizative; Jul 12, 2019 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizative View Post

You hate this project? You know that area of Broad Street is considered, "Center City." It's the place where they build TALL buildings. If you haven't noticed, they just built a new Comcast building at 1,121 feet. Almost 5 times what you are suggesting. Do you really think they would consider that proposal because a few people may not get enough "sunshine units?" Especially if it gets in the way of progress, what our great city really needs. I'm really tired of looking at that humongous vacant lot, aren't you? Let's not step in the way of progress for petty issues. Besides, with global warming becoming a threat, a little shade may be ideal. More floors, more jobs
Sometimes it boggles the mind
Well, this is supposed to be residential, and whatever is built here, even if it's not this insane "sky village" or by Blatstein, probably will be. So it's not really comparable to Comcast and its floor count is not relevant to jobs. But I see no reason why it should arbitrarily reduced to under 400 ft given its location on a main thoroughfare and proximity to core Center City as well as transit. Definitely now because of "shadows."

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
Such a nonsensical argument about tall building blocking sunlight on existing townhomes as others have said and that I have experience that it is a temporary thing as the sunlight moves throughout the day and the townhomes will get sunlight, especially at this location. Think of it this way. It's analogous to putting a tree on your yard. You still get sunlight in your home but as the angles of sunlight changes throughout the day, the tree will block out some of the sunlight, but you still get sunlight.

Where it is bad is when high rises are situated 50ft or less next to each other in a perpendicular configuration. From my personal experience on this scenario, the lowers units are mostly affected because the adjacent high rise truly blocks out all the sunlight and turns the unit into a bat cave.

Fortunately, where this building is going up and where the town homes are located has no such impact similar to what I described above.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^^^
Such a nonsensical argument about tall building blocking sunlight on existing townhomes as others have said and that I have experience that it is a temporary thing as the sunlight moves throughout the day and the townhomes will get sunlight, especially at this location. Think of it this way. It's analogous to putting a tree on your yard. You still get sunlight in your home but as the angles of sunlight changes throughout the day, the tree will block out some of the sunlight, but you still get sunlight.

Where it is bad is when high rises are situated 50ft or less next to each other in a perpendicular configuration. From my personal experience on this scenario, the lowers units are mostly affected because the adjacent high rise truly blocks out all the sunlight and turns the unit into a bat cave.

Fortunately, where this building is going up and where the town homes are located has no such impact similar to what I described above.
I been at meeting for the residence who live on 13th street and no on there wants a 426 foot tall building there and Councilman Johnson has done a great job in seeing this building doesnt get built at this height. No building in the 8 blocks surrounding broad & washington is that tall. I love all the new builds expect this. Home owners have the right to contest this building because I sure there are zoning laws that prevent this size build so close to a residential neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
I sure there are zoning laws that prevent this size build so close to a residential neighborhood.

But this development is primarily a residential building. A residential neighborhood isn't only defined by single family homes. Multi-family is the future and if people are truly worried about rising housing costs and not their back yard, more multi-family is better than the $1-$2 town homes that have been going up in the area.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:01 PM
Philly Pholly

I hate this project.It's an ill-conceived project.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
I been at meeting for the residence who live on 13th street and no on there wants a 426 foot tall building there and Councilman Johnson has done a great job in seeing this building doesnt get built at this height. No building in the 8 blocks surrounding broad & washington is that tall. I love all the new builds expect this. Home owners have the right to contest this building because I sure there are zoning laws that prevent this size build so close to a residential neighborhood.
It depends on the zoning class. No, not all residential zoning prohibits highrises.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I hate this project.It's an ill-conceived project.
It is. But not because of its height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction